• The KillerFrogs

Are we truly out of BCS Bowl running?

TCU2002

Sorry if this is a repeat topic, but I am trying to put this together.

BCS rules are, IIRC, that a non-AQ conference champion must be Top 12 to automatically qualify for BCS game, or in the top 16 *and* ahead of an auto-bid champ in the BCS rankings.

It seems like Big East champ will take care of the latter issue, because that team will be low in the standings.

If Houston loses and TCU wins the Mountain West outright, do we have a chance to qualify for a BCS game? Is the main issue that we have little chance to crack the Top 16 of the BCS?

Thanks for the help.

TubaFrog

BCS rules are, IIRC, that a non-AQ conference champion must be Top 12 to automatically qualify for BCS game, or in the top 16 *and* ahead of an auto-bid champ in the BCS rankings.

It seems like Big East champ will take care of the latter issue, because that team will be low in the standings.

If Houston loses and TCU wins the Mountain West outright, do we have a chance to qualify for a BCS game? Is the main issue that we have little chance to crack the Top 16 of the BCS?

Thanks for the help.

No, we're not out of the running. The Big East is terrible, and Houston might well lose. The wild card is whether we actually get any respect for yesterday's win. I'm betting we do.

Raw Frog

You are correct in your analysis.
We need to pull for SMU to pull the upset over Houston this week.
Not likely, but let's hope June can put it together and they can surprise 'em.

2themax

Maybe missing a big bowl game this year because of losses to BU and SMU are perfect motivation for an expd, young and talented squad next year. Would be nice to see them squeeze in though. I'm thinking Frogs will be close to 20th today with 2 games left and many teams still having to play conf champ games after that.

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
If Houston losses a game and several teams ranked 12-20 lose over the next few weeks, and the Big East Champ does not rise above us, we will get a BCS bid. It is mandated for them to take the highest ranked non-AQ conference champ if it is rated 16 or higher and ahead of another AQ champ (most likely the Big East champ will not be ranked higher)

GothamFrog

Houston is more likely to slip at Tulsa or against Southern Miss in the CUSA championship game. If Southern Miss wins out and beats Houston in the CUSA championship we will need to be ranked higher than them in the final BCS standings (and of course ranked at least #16 and ahead of the Big East champ as OP mentioned). It would be a close call. Im guessing human voters give TCU edge but the computers would favor Southern Miss. Best outcome would be Tulsa beating Houston AND Southern Miss. We'll see. I'm just happy we beat Boise. An extremely gratifying victory, avenging the Fiesta Bowl loss.

Burner1

Tier 1
It's theoretically possible, but the reality is TCU isn't going to get into the top 16 and isn't going to a BCS bowl this year. I expect us to be about 24 this week and maybe move up a couple of places by the end of the season. Depends on how many teams above us lose, but very doubtful that we end up higher than 20.

Next year we don't have to worry about such things, just win the Big 12 and we're in.

ATXFrog

It's theoretically possible, but the reality is TCU isn't going to get into the top 16 and isn't going to a BCS bowl this year. I expect us to be about 24 this week and maybe move up a couple of places by the end of the season. Depends on how many teams above us lose, but very doubtful that we end up higher than 20.

Next year we don't have to worry about such things, just win the Big 12 and we're in.

I guess you must be talking about BCS standings? We are already 24 in coaches poll. How do we not move up beating the #5 team in the country at their place. Our SOS should greatly improve with Boise game.. And lots of teams right above us lost.

If we aren't top 20 today i will be disappointed.

gofrogs152

As much as I love my Frogs, I'm not sure I see us worthy of a BCS game this year (though definitely more worthy than a Big East team). I agree with the poster that said missing out on a BCS game due to losses to BU and SMU will be good motivation for next year. I think there's some value in ending this season hungry and carrying that hunger over into Big 12 play next year.

Frostie

Thanks for the help.

Yes we are, Section 6, article 3a. in the second paragraph of the BCS rulebook clearly states the following ' ,,if you lose to SMU or Baylor you will not be in consideration for a BCS Bowl, if you lose to both of them in the same year consider yourself lucky to attend a Bowl."

IamFroglash88

As much as I love my Frogs, I'm not sure I see us worthy of a BCS game this year (though definitely more worthy than a Big East team). I agree with the poster that said missing out on a BCS game due to losses to BU and SMU will be good motivation for next year. I think there's some value in ending this season hungry and carrying that hunger over into Big 12 play next year.
See VT from last year