• The KillerFrogs

AP: NCAA prez asks schools to consider more than money

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
AP: NCAA prez asks schools to consider more than money

By Michael Marot, Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - As a growing number of schools play musical chairs with conferences, NCAA President Mark Emmert says he is concerned about the perception that money is driving the decisions and declared "this is not the NFL, the NBA, it's not a business."

Instead, Emmert is urging school presidents to consider factors besides revenue when choosing conference affiliation.

"I think what came across (with realignment) is that all we care about is money and what we can do that is to our advantage," Emmert said in an interview Wednesday with The Associated Press. "Nobody was talking about what this is going to do for student-athletes or intercollegiate athletic programs. It was all about let's make a deal."

Emmert understands the urge, perhaps even the necessity, for schools to do something. ...

Frogcrates

think_of_the_children.jpg

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How about the NCAA step in and, for once, take control of college football instead of letting ESPN/ABC run and ruin the sport?

How about we get rid of the conferences and go to divisional alignments with teams that qualify under NCAA standards to play Division I football.

You could then have a nice playoff with the, say, 10 division winners and a couple of at-large teams. Use the current bowls and tell Bill Hancock and the BCS to take a hike along with all the conference commissioners, a bunch of fat cats whose interests are how much money they can cram in their pockets.

Also, networks would then negotiate with the NCAA for broadcasting rights with fair revenue sharing.

How about the NCAA grow a pair and gain control of college athletics that are being ruined by ESPN/ABC and individual greed and corruption.

Dogfrog

How about the NCAA step in and, for once, take control of college football instead of letting ESPN/ABC run and ruin the sport?

How about we get rid of the conferences and go to divisional alignments with teams that qualify under NCAA standards to play Division I football.

You could then have a nice playoff with the, say, 10 division winners and a couple of at-large teams. Use the current bowls and tell Bill Hancock and the BCS to take a hike along with all the conference commissioners, a bunch of fat cats whose interests are how much money they can cram in their pockets.

Also, networks would then negotiate with the NCAA for broadcasting rights with fair revenue sharing.

How about the NCAA grow a pair and gain control of college athletics that are being ruined by ESPN/ABC and individual greed and corruption.

Agree, but the University Presidents are the only source of authority that could make this happen. They dictate the NCAA's scope and they also have signed off on turning football over to the BCS. As a group, the Presidents are for the most part political glad handers with a few exceptions. When was the last time you heard a TCU chancellor speak out publicly on the subject?

Goo

With so many rivalries ending, he is wise to be concerned. Just this year these rivalries ended

OU Nebraska
Utah BYU
Colorado Nebraska
Tx. aTM
Piit. WVU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Agree, but the University Presidents are the only source of authority that could make this happen. They dictate the NCAA's scope and they also have signed off on turning football over to the BCS. As a group, the Presidents are for the most part political glad handers with a few exceptions. When was the last time you heard a TCU chancellor speak out publicly on the subject?
Fire them too then. Fire them all! :rolleyes:

Tsfardiim

With so many rivalries ending, he is wise to be concerned. Just this year these rivalries ended

OU Nebraska
Utah BYU
Colorado Nebraska
Tx. aTM
Piit. WVU

And again, Utah and BYU just played this season. There is no reason WVU and Pitt can't play in the future from different conferences. OU and UT were in different conferences for the overwhelming majority of their rivalry. TCU and SMU still play annually. The Big XII killed the OU-Nebraska rivalry, not realignment.

While sharing a conference makes a rivalry game mandatory (except when you mess it up like OU-Nebraska) I'm not even sure it makes it easier. E always know we'll play SMU. Why can't WVU and Pitt just know they'll always play each other?

Goo

And again, Utah and BYU just played this season. There is no reason WVU and Pitt can't play in the future from different conferences. OU and UT were in different conferences for the overwhelming majority of their rivalry. TCU and SMU still play annually. The Big XII killed the OU-Nebraska rivalry, not realignment.

While sharing a conference makes a rivalry game mandatory (except when you mess it up like OU-Nebraska) I'm not even sure it makes it easier. E always know we'll play SMU. Why can't WVU and Pitt just know they'll always play each other?

This sounds possible. But its not the way it works. in your example of TCU/SMU, there were years after SWC that we didn't play due to scheduling. OU/Nebraska will be even more dead now. UT says they will no long schedule A&M and there are no assurance on WVU/Pitt. Lastly, CU/Nebraska was intense rivalry and they are also not playing this year. Obviously, none of these schools (except TCU/SMU and BYU/Utah) are scheduled to play in the future (since departures just announced). For the most part, these rivalries are dead or dying as result of realignment.

FrogAbroad

Dang, Top, be careful with those topic titles...I read this one and spit coffee all over myself laughing.

That ranks up there with other one-liner jokes like, "Take my wife university...Please!"

We did miss a year with SMU, the Big 12 didn't kill the OU-Neb rivalry, UT did which is driven by revenues which drives realignment so, realignment killed the rivalry. Many of these traditional rivalry games will continue but I guarantee there will be years that they just don't work out. We should play Baylor every year but we don't. There needs to be a mechanism in place to force the children to play each other, and that my friend is regional conferences not Fortune 500 conferences. It all sucks.

Tsfardiim

This sounds possible. But its not the way it works. in your example of TCU/SMU, there were years after SWC that we didn't play due to scheduling. OU/Nebraska will be even more dead now. UT says they will no long schedule A&M and there are no assurance on WVU/Pitt. Lastly, CU/Nebraska was intense rivalry and they are also not playing this year. Obviously, none of these schools (except TCU/SMU and BYU/Utah) are scheduled to play in the future (since departures just announced). For the most part, these rivalries are dead or dying as result of realignment.

One. We missed one season. The official line is it was due to scheduling, but I remember a lot of speculation it had to do with SMU joining C-USA and being mad we were leaving.

Not sure how OU-Nebraska will be more dead. Dead is dead. My Sooner friends, who are all in the age group that like me, only kind of remember the Big 8 and SWC, have no recollection of a rivalry with NU.They just thought of out as another game in the North.

And certainly, there is no schedule for these games currently. My point was only that realignment does not guarantee an end to these rivalries. If the schools want to play, being in different conferences won't prohibit it.