• The KillerFrogs

Anyone else ever see grounding called on a miscommunication pass?

CountryFrog

I watch lots of football games. Have seen it call numerous times in the NFL and college. An Eligible receiver needs to be near the ball. That pass landed near the back of the end zone. And the receiver was on about the 20.
So in your judgment was Morris intentionally throwing the ball away in order to avoid a sack?

One Frog Nation

It was just called on the Eagles in OT against Washington. Hurts was under pressure the wr cut short and hurts threw it long. Flag thrown. But it is very inconsistently called

NewFrogFan

I watch lots of football games. Have seen it call numerous times in the NFL and college. An Eligible receiver needs to be near the ball. That pass landed near the back of the end zone. And the receiver was on about the 20.
Because he ran the wrong route, you could see where the Qb thought he was going from the beginning of the play, in addition he was not under pressure.

tcumaniac

Yea, at the time they first lined up it looked like a decline. I forgot they moved it later.
They moved it bc Sonny had to sprint down the sideline and get the refs attention and ask them the what the hell they were doing.

The refs proactively decided we wanted to decline the penalty and Sonny had to yell at them and tell them they did not.

Other than the OU game last year, that was the worst officiated game I can ever remember seeing in Fort Worth.

Dogfrog

They moved it bc Sonny had to sprint down the sideline and get the refs attention and ask them the what the hell they were doing.

The refs proactively decided we wanted to decline the penalty and Sonny had to yell at them and tell them they did not.

Other than the OU game last year, that was the worst officiated game I can ever remember seeing in Fort Worth.

Thanks, it was very hard to interpret what was going on.

NewFrogFan

Grounding call = ridiculous. Probably cost us 3 points. (If Kell could’ve made the kick from about 10 yards closer.)

The first holding on Damonic was called a personal foul, I think. (Also seems ridiculous.) So WV got the result of the play + 15 yards.
I just watched the “grounding” play again, I stand by what I said. There was a blitz on and he wasn’t even scrambling, the receiver ran wrong route, the penalty cost them a closer FG.

NewFrogFan

There was a blizter coming full on with nothing between him and the QB, but I think Morris got rid of the ball early enough that intentional grounding shouldn't have been called.
If he had been that close he would have hit the Qb. You can tell by their reactions on the sidelines it was a complete [ What the heck? ] are the ref’s calling. Dykes mentions the play in his post game and the fact he was still trying to figure why they called it.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Hope you are watching the Cowboys game and Eagles-Redskins inset.
And did you hear the part where the announcer specifically said that if Hurts wasn't under such heavy pressure then it would NOT have been a penalty? Hurts was being hit as he threw the ball and that's why it got called there.

Morris was not under that type of pressure. He wasn't throwing to avoid a sack.

CountryFrog

It was just called on the Eagles in OT against Washington. Hurts was under pressure the wr cut short and hurts threw it long. Flag thrown. But it is very inconsistently called
Was not the same type of play. Hurts is being hit right as he lets go of the ball. In that instance then yes it's grounding. There was not a pass rusher in Morris's face like that. He wasn't throwing to avoid being sacked.

East Coast

Tier 1
And this proves..? Blandino is a tool.
I think Blandino is better than most of the others, but he protects the officials too much. Old Mike P (not looking up how to spell his name) is by far the best, but I haven't seen him on a college game this year. Did he retire?

I was looking at the West Virginia board trying to find news about Aubrey Banks (the injured WV player), and they are saying it was the worst officiated game they have ever seen.

By the way, Banks has been released from the hospital and is walking on his own.