• The KillerFrogs

Andscape: Mekhayia Moore decided she no longer needed basketball. At TCU, the game needed her.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Andscape: Mekhayia Moore decided she no longer needed basketball. At TCU, the game needed her.

By Jerry Bembry
@Jerrybembry

wbb_tech_ingame_zc-100.jpg

As Mekhayia Moore accepted her MVP award at the 2022 Texas state tournament, her basketball trajectory appeared limitless. The unmistakable star of Brownsboro High School’s state championship team — “Our offensive plan was to get the ball to Mekhayia and everybody else get out the way,” her coach said —collegiate stardom was well within Moore’s reach.

Few knew, as Moore accepted her MVP plaque, that she had made the decision to end her basketball journey.

“Basketball has been my entire life since I was eight,” Moore said. “I missed vacations with my family, I missed hanging out with friends, I missed a lot.

“I just wanted to be a normal student.”

Read more at https://andscape.com/features/mekha...needed-basketball-at-tcu-the-game-needed-her/

SousaFrog

Just W:DW...What an incredible journey WBB is on, especially when it comes down to the individual stories [that embody the whole].

JogginFrog

A great story--and especially fun that she has so much support from family and friends.

There's another angle to the story, though--the performance pressure on Chancellor's Scholars and how the extra time commitment to play hoops affects Moore's studies.

Maybe the scholarship's terms have changed, but it used to be that renewal after sophomore year was conditional on the student maintaining a cumulative 3.7 GPA. For a molecular biology major, that's no small feat--and having $125,000+ riding on classroom outcomes involves significant pressure. Also, the tuition benefit is limited to eight semesters, so deferment isn't an easy answer.

Moore has suddenly lost a quarter of her waking hours to basketball. I'm sure TCU's academic-support team is doing all it can to ensure she receives accommodations, but I suspect the biology faculty is less used to getting leaned on by TCU Athletics than other departments. And no med school admission team (outside of TCU's) will care about the sacrifices Moore is making to help TCU put a team on the floor.

So, go Mekhayia, and I hope her academic posse is as enthusiastic as the group showing up to watch her play.