• The KillerFrogs

And here we go.....12 just probably isn't enough.

An-Cap Frog

Jim Mora Playoffs GIF

helcap

NCAA basketball tournament started with 8 teams its first 11 seasons, and Conference champions only until 1975. Expanded over the years to now 68 (including the "play-ins"). Looks like football headed down a similar path. Mo games, Mo money

Zubaz

It's because the Big Ten and SEC know they're going to cannibalize the ACC this summer and go to twenty members. They need more playoff spots so they can get four each. Just watch.
That's exactly what it is.

This isn't about expanding the playoffs per se, nobody would really have a problem with that. It's about securing more auto-bids for the two favored nations, and that's what is crap about the situation.

Planks

Going to 14 is also about taking away the Bye from the Big 12/ACC.

With a 12 team playoff, there are four schools that get a Bye. 99% of the time that would mean the champion of the B1G, SEC, Big 12, and ACC would each get a bye.

With a 14 team playoff, there are only two schools that get a bye. 99% of the time that will be the SEC and the B1G. The Big 12 and the ACC (if it still exists) lose out.

Wexahu

That's exactly what it is.

This isn't about expanding the playoffs per se, nobody would really have a problem with that. It's about securing more auto-bids for the two favored nations, and that's what is crap about the situation.
I agree with your first and last sentences.

Wexahu

NCAA basketball tournament started with 8 teams its first 11 seasons, and Conference champions only until 1975. Expanded over the years to now 68 (including the "play-ins"). Looks like football headed down a similar path. Mo games, Mo money
And nobody except relative die-hards give a crap about college basketball until March.

College football is heading down that same path. What was without a doubt the greatest regular season in all of sports is circling the drain.

Limey Frog

14 is even dumber than 12. Just go to 16 and be done with it.
If it goes to 16, there would be no byes for champions (which is better than having only two byes, for the reasons @Planks named above). If that's what happens, the Big 12 should just scrap its championship game entirely, play a balanced 10-game schedule for everyone, and declare the team top of the standings at the end conference champ. Have co-champs in case of ties without a head-to-head tiebreaker--who cares? Don't make your best two teams play a thirteenth game if there's no auto-bid and first-round bye on the line.

Wexahu

If it goes to 16, there would be no byes for champions (which is better than having only two byes, for the reasons @Planks named above). If that's what happens, the Big 12 should just scrap its championship game entirely, play a balanced 10-game schedule for everyone, and declare the team top of the standings at the end conference champ. Have co-champs in case of ties without a head-to-head tiebreaker--who cares? Don't make your best two teams play a thirteenth game if there's no auto-bid and first-round bye on the line.
There will be all kinds of these types of scenarios. The whole thing is just stupid. There are factors in major college football that don't exist in other sports. There will be a day soon, if not next year, where kids on playoff teams that are clearly not capable of actually winning the playoffs will decide to pass on the games. That is, I suppose, unless some donor is willing to pony up some big cash for him to suit up, which sounds silly to me, but oh well.

They are going backwards in terms of what really needs to be done for it to become anything I'll be interested in, but that's just my worthless opinion. I'm looking forward to playing more golf this fall.

East Coast

Tier 1
There will be all kinds of these types of scenarios. The whole thing is just stupid. There are factors in major college football that don't exist in other sports. There will be a day soon, if not next year, where kids on playoff teams that are clearly not capable of actually winning the playoffs will decide to pass on the games. That is, I suppose, unless some donor is willing to pony up some big cash for him to suit up, which sounds silly to me, but oh well.

They are going backwards in terms of what really needs to be done for it to become anything I'll be interested in, but that's just my worthless opinion. I'm looking forward to playing more golf this fall.
I actually think 8 is the best number, and change the definition to 8 most deserving teams instead of best. I would be ok with 5 conference champs plus 3 at large or even 4 and 4. I can't think of a year where more than 6 teams were truly deserving anyway.

Of course, this will never happen. Maybe if there is a breakaway of 60 or less teams?

Wexahu

I actually think 8 is the best number, and change the definition to 8 most deserving teams instead of best. I would be ok with 5 conference champs plus 3 at large or even 4 and 4. I can't think of a year where more than 6 teams were truly deserving anyway.

Of course, this will never happen. Maybe if there is a breakaway of 60 or less teams?
I agree. 8 is more than I think is needed but I can understand people who think that is a good number.

And people who think this is going to create really compelling late regular season games to see who gets those last playoff spots? The teams vying for those spots will most always be teams that already got their asses beat by the legitimate playoff teams, are those games really going to move the needle? If Penn State loses to Michigan and Ohio State in two of the maybe 3 or 4 losable games on their schedule, I don't think many people are going to care whether they can beat Maryland for the right to soon get beat in the playoffs by a much better team.

They are doing things and changing rules to decrease parity in the game (that already has little parity) while increasing the number of playoff spots. That makes no sense.

DeuceBoogieNights

I agree. 8 is more than I think is needed but I can understand people who think that is a good number.

And people who think this is going to create really compelling late regular season games to see who gets those last playoff spots? The teams vying for those spots will most always be teams that already got their asses beat by the legitimate playoff teams, are those games really going to move the needle? If Penn State loses to Michigan and Ohio State in two of the maybe 3 or 4 losable games on their schedule, I don't think many people are going to care whether they can beat Maryland for the right to soon get beat in the playoffs by a much better team.

They are doing things and changing rules to decrease parity in the game (that already has little parity) while increasing the number of playoff spots. That makes no sense.

Don't necessarily disagree but in your scenario if Penn State barely loses to Michigan in a last minute nail biter, I think people would be interested in the rematch. I think it depends on how the first matchup went and how the season unfolds.

Wexahu

Don't necessarily disagree but in your scenario if Penn State barely loses to Michigan in a last minute nail biter, I think people would be interested in the rematch. I think it depends on how the first matchup went and how the season unfolds.
Fair enough, that is at least a legitimate argument. In most cases though, those teams at #12-16 will have proven beyond a doubt that they have zero chance to actually win a playoff.

But the counter to that is that Penn State had two really good teams on their schedule (unless you want to argue that Iowa, Illinois, and Northwestern were good teams, much less really good, which I'm sure almost nobody would). And they lost both games. To me, if you haven't beaten one good team on your schedule all year, and you went 0-2 against the really good ones, that's not worthy of having a spot in the playoffs. There isn't one person who would have thought Penn State could have won a National Title last year.

And people say, yeah, well, a bunch of teams in the NCAA basketball tournament have zero shot either. Well, basketball is different. You can gather 8 teams in one spot and get a tournament winner in a weekend. You can't waste weeks in football, or at least you shouldn't.

HG73

Yes 8 is plenty. Especially since the ACC has one foot in the grave. Divide the remaining 3 conferences into two divisions each and pick 2 at large teams. First round is the CCGs for the three conferences and a game between the 2 at large teams. Four winners play semifinals and the final. 7 games, bid them all out. Three weeks and all done by New Years Day.
Each division is 9 or 10 teams and plays a full round robin.