• The KillerFrogs

ACC officially votes to add Cal, Stanford, SMU

LVH

This is by far the stupidest realignment move yet. 3 schools no one cares about and doesn't move the needle, 2 of which are on the other side of the country from where the majority of the ACC is located. I just don't understand what exactly the ACC gets out of this.

I also can't stop laughing at the take that the only thing holding SMU back over the last 30 years was that they were in a bad conference, and now that they are in a stronger league, it will be as if SMU will be like the Monstars in Space Jam and grow into some unstoppable juggernaut force to be reckoned with.

Wexahu

This is by far the stupidest realignment move yet. 3 schools no one cares about and doesn't move the needle, 2 of which are on the other side of the country from where the majority of the ACC is located. I just don't understand what exactly the ACC gets out of this.

I also can't stop laughing at the take that the only thing holding SMU back over the last 30 years was that they were in a bad conference, and now that they are in a stronger league, it will be as if SMU will be like the Monstars in Space Jam and grow into some unstoppable juggernaut force to be reckoned with.
I don’t think anyone has that take. Not that I’ve heard anyway.

Wexahu

Not on this board but its all over social media.

"Put SMU in a P5 conference with their NIL money and being in Dallas and they will become a major power!!!"
Well, I haven’t really seen it but maybe they will, time will tell. I doubt they will but they are in a better position now than they were in the AAC, no matter how slightly better.

I don’t know why this gets people so worked up.

Dogfrog

Can’t blame SMU for going for it. Better conference and better opponents should at least help ticket sales
Assuming no conference revenue, they are creating a sink hole, relying on the kindness of strangers. Need to change name from Mustangs to Volunteers or Pro Bono’s.

Hemingway

We took what we wanted and shut down expansion. BY right now looking at the ACC knowing that VT, NCST, and Miami will soon be out there for expansion
Black Cat GIF

jack the frog

I just refuse to believe there is no downside to getting no media revenue for 9 YEARS

It doesn't matter how deep the donor pockets are.

It's one heck of a gamble. Plenty to go wrong over 9 years. Banking, real estate, you name it, not to mention Clemson and FLST bailing at their first opportunity.

LVH

I have come to revel in the lamentations of my enemies. Please do not disappoint me.
I'm not mad, I just think its funny that the ACC thinks that these 3 schools will move the needle in any way. It just shows how out of touch they are.

It's the equivalent of a kid whose daddy is rich buying his way into Harvard and taking away an enrollment spot from a kid who actually earned it

Limey Frog

I have come to revel in the lamentations of my enemies. Please do not disappoint me.
Lolz. Congratulations; y'all free hand-jobbed your way into a club you think is cool. Now all the cool kids in that club are desperate to get out and escape you. Good luck with that.

I do hope TCU renews the series with SMU now, though. This seven/eight home games stuff is garbage when you're talking about swapping crosstown road games at an ancient rival for home dates with exciting opponents like SE Louisiana State or whathaveyou. Sure, SMU is annoying, desperate and basically slutty. But that's what rivals are for, to annoy you.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Honestly I don't think this moves the needle for anyone outside of a few SMU fans who still care about athletics. It's really a non-factor for the whole of college football and certainly for TCU.

And I know that SMU will be the butt of a lot of jokes with the whole playing for free thing but really what Cal and Stanford are doing isn't any better. They're getting a 30% revenue share which will be just enough to cover the obscene travel expenses of bouncing back and forth between both coasts all year. So they're basically joining for free as well.

Limey Frog

I just refuse to believe there is no downside to getting no media revenue for 9 YEARS

It doesn't matter how deep the donor pockets are.
Yeah, I don't think this is a very good idea. It doesn't make the ACC better, more lucrative, or more stable. It's hard to imagine how SMU or the Berklistan schools can be competitive with more travel and less cash. SMU will end up revenue neutral, I think, because NCAA tourney and CFP shares will likely equal their current AAC money, but with the same budget you need to travel more and compete against better opposition. That's going to get old in a real hurry.

CountryFrog

I'm not mad, I just think its funny that the ACC thinks that these 3 schools will move the needle in any way. It just shows how out of touch they are.

It's the equivalent of a kid whose daddy is rich buying his way into Harvard and taking away an enrollment spot from a kid who actually earned it
They don't think it will move the needle. This is to cover themselves when Clemson, FSU, and possibly others defect in a few years. There is a clause in the ACC contract which allows ESPN to dissolve the deal if the conference falls below 15 members (including the Notre Dame pseudo membership) so this ensures that if up to 3 schools leave then the remaining leftovers get to keep their media deal as is.

Ron Swanson

Ha, I mean congrats to y’all for doing what you had to do to give yourself a long-run chance. I think for SMU this is the best move you could make. It’s a Hail Mary, but it’s your only chance of not being left for dead forever, so why not do it if you can afford to do it.

But it’s hardly some flex where you come over here and revel in our lamentations. Cool, you literally bought your way in to a dying conference. Might work, might not. Good luck, but it doesn’t really affect TCU that much.