• The KillerFrogs

A Way Too Early Look At TCU Football Depth Chart Changes For 2018

FBallFan123

In recent history, TCU has only had one RB average over 20 carriers a game with Aaron Green in 2015. I would expect us to see more platooning with Sewo and others just like we have done in past years. I would expect to see Sewo's number of carries rise and Anderson's as well. But I would still expect Anderson's carries to be around 15 carries a game. Anderson will need to show he can stay healthy and he will probably take more shots next year as it will probably be harder early on to run the ball with a new OL.

Yeah, Anderson is special but I don't see him getting 20+ carries a game.

Sewo should see a substantial increase in his carries next season, and Snell should see some increase as well.

Plus, Robinson could be a bigger factor in the run game than Hill was last season.

Kenny Hill's rush attempts were down significantly last season (100) from his prior season (125), and some of the Boykin years (123 in 2015, 152 in 2014).

That may have been partly due to the lack of experience and depth at the QB position behind Hill, and maybe trying to make Hill more of a pocket passer...which had mixed results.

We saw how the offense changed in the Alamo Bowl when Hill started using his legs and running more....it opened up everything.

With a much-less experienced offensive line next season, TCU may need to manufacture more rushing yards with some more QB designed runs, options, etc.

I know there are injury and durabilty concerns with Robinson, but we'll see if that lessens with experience.

Plus, with Collins now in the mix, and Muehlstein being a senior, TCU seems to have better depth at the position, regardless of whether Rogers redshirts or not.

jake102

I’m giddy at the thought of Manning and Hunt on the outsides, Reagor and Turpin on the inside, DA/Sewo in the backfield, and a mobile QB taking the snap. Seems like that would be difficult to defend.

Reagor stays outside, IMO. You want him running some type of fly or post route about 50% of the time. If Manning is what we've heard, you could have Doctson/Listenbee 2.0 in those guys.

MinFrog

I’m gonna be real disappointed if Reagor isn’t easily better than Listenbee. I don’t even think it’s close at this point.
Agreed. I'll be honest, I have not seen a kid run away from a top 25 defense like Reagor did on his 93 yard TD and the trick play on the kickoff return. He was CLEARLY running faster than anyone on the field.

And his ability to catch underthrown balls, meaning he has the body control to stop and get back to a short throw is amazing.

82 Frog Fever

Reagor already seems to be more versatile with better hands and just as fast as Kolby. Can wait to see him on the field with Manning, Hunt, and Jackson. Might be impossible to double cover anyone.

PO Frog

Agreed. I'll be honest, I have not seen a kid run away from a top 25 defense like Reagor did on his 93 yard TD and the trick play on the kickoff return. He was CLEARLY running faster than anyone on the field.

And his ability to catch underthrown balls, meaning he has the body control to stop and get back to a short throw is amazing.
I am not disputing this, but do you have any examples outside of the hail mary against SMU?

ThisIsOurTime

Reagor stays outside, IMO. You want him running some type of fly or post route about 50% of the time. If Manning is what we've heard, you could have Doctson/Listenbee 2.0 in those guys.

I would imagine this to be the case too. Since TCU rotates receivers anyway it doesn't really matter whether you are on the 1st line or the 2nd. Historically, TCU hasn't had too much trouble finding slot receivers as they are more in abundance than outside receivers so I would imagine they will be able to find another solid slot receiver or two. For example they had Ta'Zhawn Henry who looks like he would fit this role but he decommitted. I wouldn't be shocked if they were a couple of sleepers remaining who fit this role. Turpin was basically a sleeper because of his size who TCU got onto very late in the process.

Wexahu

That was the one I had in mind. It seems bizarre to put a guy under 6’ on the outside, but with his speed and jumping ability that is the right place for him.

He's got incredibly long arms too, at least it looks that way to me. Not really sure how that makes a difference in terms of playing outside or the slot, just an observation that that might allow him to play above his size a bit too.

McFroggin

Robinson is not more mobile than Hill. I expect QB rushing attempts to decrease. He is a bigger body with less agility. He has a stronger arm. Hopefully a better pocket passer with the ability to scramble when needed.

jake102

Doesn't he primarily play inside though? I don't see a lot of similarities between the two, Brown is a quick shifty guy and Reagor is more a sprinter type. At least that's what I see.

He moves all around. I agree they aren't the same type of player, but I don't think Reagor's height is going to force him inside. I'm pretty sure Corey Coleman played outside his entire career.

Also, James Washington is 6'0", Westbrook was 6'0", Cooks was 5'10".... lot of guys of similar height who played on the outside a lot.

PO Frog

Robinson is not more mobile than Hill. I expect QB rushing attempts to decrease. He is a bigger body with less agility. He has a stronger arm. Hopefully a better pocket passer with the ability to scramble when needed.
This sounds like someone that has never seen Robinson play.