• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU star DT Damonic Williams intends to enter transfer portal

McFroggin

An insider tells me Dam was not a good fit for Avalos' defense. The new defensive front will be more athletic. That may have been a deciding factor for Dam. Anyway, may not be a big loss.

This was a big loss no matter how you frame it. We took a step back here, but we are already not looking good.

CryptoMiner

This was a big loss no matter how you frame it. We took a step back here, but we are already not looking good.
TCU had a lot of money tied up in a position that generated little production. Surprised OU threw so much cash at him.

TCU can take that savings and hopefully sign the UT DB and UH DT and still have money left and get projected better results.

Dam was definitely a good player but was a financial drain.

tcudoc

TCU had a lot of money tied up in a position that generated little production. Surprised OU threw so much cash at him.

TCU can take that savings and hopefully sign the UT DB and UH DT and still have money left and get projected better results.

This sounds like we are discussing a pro team with salary caps etc. This was why I stopped following professional sports. I have definitely lost significant interest in college football over the past two years. NIL has never been and will never be how my money is spent. I will stick with this forum because it is a great community, but I foresee interest in the sports side of this community waning significantly for me. Salary caps and free agency in college sports are not what drew me in. The sense of belonging and loyalty to my alma mater is. That, as it pertains to sports, seems to be on life support at the moment.
I will still follow from a safe distance, but my interest is diminishing rapidly. I grew up a die hard sports fan, but I have far more interests outside of sports and I really don’t think I’ll miss it too terribly much.
I don’t begrudge the kids who jump ship for more money. They have to do what they feel is right for them. But, eventually, the golden goose will be killed and the sport will be a shell of what it was.
College football has always been a bit like the minor leagues for the NFL. But people had connections and loyalty to their colleges. That loyalty is virtually non existent in baseball minor leagues. I think that eventually, most schools will probably tire of the arms race and get out of the football business, with the exception of the blue bloods. With that, I think the NCAA will likely lose most of the casual fans. Without the casual unaffiliated fans to prop up the ratings for the big schools, the profits will likely fall. It just seems like the trajectory for the average fan of college football is headed towards apathy.

y2kFrog

Name one thing he did last year. He was pretty much invisible. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets passed on the depth chart pretty quickly at a place like OU.

So when does TCU football hire a GM

CryptoMiner

This sounds like we are discussing a pro team with salary caps etc. This was why I stopped following professional sports. I have definitely lost significant interest in college football over the past two years. NIL has never been and will never be how my money is spent. I will stick with this forum because it is a great community, but I foresee interest in the sports side of this community waning significantly for me. Salary caps and free agency in college sports are not what drew me in. The sense of belonging and loyalty to my alma mater is. That, as it pertains to sports, seems to be on life support at the moment.
I will still follow from a safe distance, but my interest is diminishing rapidly. I grew up a die hard sports fan, but I have far more interests outside of sports and I really don’t think I’ll miss it too terribly much.
I don’t begrudge the kids who jump ship for more money. They have to do what they feel is right for them. But, eventually, the golden goose will be killed and the sport will be a shell of what it was.
College football has always been a bit like the minor leagues for the NFL. But people had connections and loyalty to their colleges. That loyalty is virtually non existent in baseball minor leagues. I think that eventually, most schools will probably tire of the arms race and get out of the football business, with the exception of the blue bloods. With that, I think the NCAA will likely lose most of the casual fans. Without the casual unaffiliated fans to prop up the ratings for the big schools, the profits will likely fall. It just seems like the trajectory for the average fan of college football is headed towards apathy.
Except there is no cap, but you still have to manage your funds.

Basically, it is the NFL with free agency and no salary cap. Advantage to the larger universities, but corporate funds and national brands are involved so that helps even the field. This is college football in the late 50s and through the 70s but with free agency added. Hopefully, TCU will fair much better this time around.

Look at the sponsors the WBB team is bringing in. Sure the NIL agents play a big part in that but still they see TCU as a school that has a positive and unique image.

McFroggin

Not a savings when he already got paid