• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU signs 33 on early signing day

DeuceBoogieNights

I'm not saying that I don't want very talented recruits, because ultimately that's what puts your program over the hump from good to great. But TCU's best success has come with 3* type guys who are ready to work and over-achieve. What highly-touted 4/5* guys have we brought in over the past three years who haven't transferred out? This class feels like getting back to the formula that works for us: we have enough guys at the positions of need that without knowing which ones will emerge as stars on game day, the odds that enough of them will feel pretty good.

Quentin Johnson was 4 stars, Emani Bailey was considered 4-star in the portal, Max Duggan was 4-stars, Savion Williams is 4-stars, Bud Clark is 4-stars. I'll take all the 4 and 5 stars we can get.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I kind of waffle back on forth on the 247/Rivals ratings but.....if it's 4*/5* we're wanting we should be pretty happy. If I didn't go cross eyed looking all this up we have 26- 4*/5* returning from '23 and looks like eight more coming in for '24.....so 34 total for the upcoming season.

And since I have the floor for a moment I'd like to nominate the following 3* out of high school for battle field promotion to 4* status :
  1. J. P. Richardson
  2. Damonic Williams
  3. Johnny Hodges
  4. Josh Hoover
So, by my count and evaluation we have just under 40 4*/5* for the '24 campaign. For those who trust the starzies system, we have the personnel to have a good/ very good year.

Go Frogs !
This is why I have been saying last year was not so much about talent as it was coaching, especially on the defensive side. Just a horrible approach and philosophy. Red zone offense perhaps the OL but again I think it was approach, play-calling. Briles had the same issue at Arkie.

The talent is there. This coaching needs to step it up and prove that 2022 was not a fluke.

Paint It Purple

Give me all the starries I can get. A bunch of 4* and 5* have worked out pretty well for Alabama and Georgia, don’t you think?…
Agree with you, but I wonder if the distinction is in ratio. GA & AL being all 4s and 5s, versus a few big stars mixed in with lessor rated players. Managing those personalities is the challenge. Saban may not care about the 5 star with an attitude because he's got 2-3 more standing next to him.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Ty'Anthony Smith Flips to Texas

www.kjas.com.ico
KJAS|2 days ago
Jasper's Ty'Anthony Smith sent shockwaves through the recruiting world on Wednesday night as he switched his commitment away from Texas Christian University to the University of Texas at the last minute. Smith who was the #1 ranked inside linebacker ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Agree with you, but I wonder if the distinction is in ratio. GA & AL being all 4s and 5s, versus a few big stars mixed in with lessor rated players. Managing those personalities is the challenge. Saban may not care about the 5 star with an attitude because he's got 2-3 more standing next to him.
If the 5-star guy is a problem then put in the 3-star hungry guy who is ready to go.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Some of these 5 stars are so pampered and entitled...that's why they go portal so many times.
NIL will only make it worse and worse. Manage the lockerroom. Saban doesn't seem to have that problem, though certainly players transfer in and out at Bama just like anywhere else. Hell we got three last year.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Then why did Aggy lose to App State? They had a talent advantage at every position and all the way the two-deep? It is possible to so horribly mismanage the culture of a very athletically talented squad such that you win fewer games than you would with a happier squad that, on paper, has less talent. That's my point.
Or Michigan?

puckster59

There are a number of guys out there, though, who have great metrics and have thrived against lesser competition at the high school level. The step up to P5 ball is big for a lot of them, and if you can't block or tackle or run routes or cover guys who do it at a high level, too, you're going to be exposed. We've all seen them. Heck, not that long ago we had a receiver room full of track guys who couldn't run a route.

NewFrogFan

I'm not saying that I don't want very talented recruits, because ultimately that's what puts your program over the hump from good to great. But TCU's best success has come with 3* type guys who are ready to work and over-achieve. What highly-touted 4/5* guys have we brought in over the past three years who haven't transferred out? This class feels like getting back to the formula that works for us: we have enough guys at the positions of need that without knowing which ones will emerge as stars on game day, the odds that enough of them will feel pretty good.
That was very true and hopefully it leads to a transition of routinely getting much better players and not highly rated players that don’t play at a level that matches the hype they came to TCU with.