• The KillerFrogs

2023 TCU Baseball Thread

Endless Purple

@Endless Purple - From what I can tell and have been told, pitcher has :20 to pitch; batter has :10 to be ready, looking at pitcher, using the same clock. Violations are a ball against pitcher or a strike against batter. Pitchers have figured out they can throw to a base and get a new clock. I don't think they can just step off. And I don't think a batter can ask for time.
Summary helps.

I do wonder that if the man on 1st is timing the take off for a stolen base or hit and run, that could be a bigger jump for the catcher to overcome. But then I wonder if the pitcher could throw to 1st or 2nd instead of the batter and try for a pick off while the runner is off. Seems like it could favor stealing bases early until pitchers figure out how to use it. Though without a real matching clock to be seen be the players it could be a challenge if the ump's watch is not in sync with a field clock.

10 Key Frog

@Endless Purple - From what I can tell and have been told, pitcher has :20 to pitch; batter has :10 to be ready, looking at pitcher, using the same clock. Violations are a ball against pitcher or a strike against batter. Pitchers have figured out they can throw to a base and get a new clock. I don't think they can just step off. And I don't think a batter can ask for time.
They’re allowed to step off once per at bat. Otherwise it’s a punishment Of I think an automatic ball.

Thats why you kept seeing Arkansas pitcher lob the ball to first baseman later in game with runners on, because there’s no limits to amount of times you can attempt pickoffs and it resets clock. MLB though has a limit this year of I think 2 pickoff attempts in an at bat before it counts against the pitcher if unsuccessful on next attempt.

NewFrogFan

That was noticed by the Hog fans as well. If you want to read their fanboard log of the game, it starts at about the middle of page 12:
I watched all of the LSU vs WMU games too. They hit some bombs but they dont run like TCU.

NewFrogFan

Yep. The former catcher in me saw the exact same thing. Hold the ball and let your pitcher and position players get back to their spots, then throw the ball back almost right to the mound on the rubber.

also saw the base running logic to run anytime the clock strikes 1 second. He will either balk or you get a heluva jump.

Stupid rule that is gonna get worse as we get deep into conf play and regionals. Can you imagine the explosion when a guy gets punched out in the 9th inning for a conf series rubber match to end it?!? (Hopefully it happens to NC State and we can all watch Avant blow a gasket!!)
The SEC is implementing about 10 more ways to speed up game for conf games. Mound visit…..coach gets 30 seconds from crossing white line…..who keeps all these clocks?

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Frogs playing sloppy early. Nunez misplayed a ball that ended up allowing a run to score. Silva bobbled a potential double play ball that allowed Mizzou to load the bases and now Davis gets picked off first.

But we're still up 3-1 in the 3rd.