• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

dawg

DFW airport is right up the road, we are centrally-located within the US, and likely the most important reason: Jerrah will find a way to cram over well over 100k into The Stadjium and make FIFA the most money.

Chongo94

DFW airport is right up the road, we are centrally-located within the US, and likely the most important reason: Jerrah will find a way to cram over well over 100k into The Stadjium and make FIFA the most money.

Mannnn, I want to go so bad but I also know because that is such a scheissy venue that if I do go, all I will have done will be to have paid $500-2,000 dollars (at least probably) just to watch the final on one big ass tv.

It’s one of those things where you can go and say you went and probably have a meh time but the memory of going and whatnot or watch it at home or somewhere else with friends and have an amazing time but also miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Purp

I hope I have a vendor ready to spring for some tix for me. I'm not paying for those. I'll kill myself if the U.S. makes the final and I'm not there, though.

Purp

Pefok with a goal today for Gladbach. Scally with another predictable start. Sarge, Dike, and Pefok are all getting healthy and scoring again.

Purp

McKennie had another impactful performance. Got an assist and had a couple would-be goals stopped from headers in the box.

Purp

This kid, Bajraktarevic, has some sauce.
Finally watched the game. You're right, the kid has some obvious talent. As he grows into his body he can develop into an elite player. Looks a lot like Gio a couple years ago. Hopefully he makes his way to Europe soon.

I also liked what I saw from the other Tillman and Luna. Not sure either of them will break through the current first team, but Bajraktarevic very well could. I could easily see Puli on the left, Esmir on the right, someone at #9 in front of Gio as a #10. That's a ton of high level skill, creativity, and athleticism behind your #9.

Last edited:

Purp

Looking like Gio to Forest on loan is more and more likely. I like that move for him and Forest. It sounds like Dortmund want to sell him, but nobody wants to pay that much based on his last year or two. The idea would be a loan away to prove his value and then option to buy for whomever acquires him. I think Forest would be a good landing spot b/c he'll get regular EPL minutes for the remainder of the season and may even stick around for another year if they buy him. They're outside the relegation zone and should stay outside it with him coming aboard. Then he gets regular EPL minutes next year before becoming a free agent in summer 2025.

Purp

Gio has deals in place with at least 4 clubs and maybe more to come. That means he's definitely leaving Dortmund. Up to him to decide where.

Personally I'm hoping for Forest. Marseille is another one mentioned and my least favorite for him.

Chongo94

Was listening to an English sports talk show tonight and some woman called in crying over the fact that Jurgen Klopp announced he’s retiring.

Never understood how people let sports get to that point in their lives…

Purp

Was listening to an English sports talk show tonight and some woman called in crying over the fact that Jurgen Klopp announced he’s retiring.

Never understood how people let sports get to that point in their lives…
It's a weird situation that he's giving it up for the reasons he stated, but it's also somewhat refreshing at the same time if it's legit.

Not gonna lie... My first, second, and probably subsequent half dozen thoughts were dreams of Klopp regaining his energy in 2 years in time for Berhalter to get canned and Klopp to lead us to WC glory further cementing his legacy as one of the greats to ever manage the game.

Morado Muerte

Gio to Nottingham Forest on loan through end of season.

NF are just outside the relegation zone, so hopefully an opportunity for Reyna to 2x or 3x his minutes logged per game, regain his form from 2-3 years ago and make a meaningful impact and contribution on their season.
He'll need to score a lot of goals, because NF's keeper situation isn't great...

Purp

Gio to Nottingham Forest on loan through end of season.

NF are just outside the relegation zone, so hopefully an opportunity for Reyna to 2x or 3x his minutes logged per game, regain his form from 2-3 years ago and make a meaningful impact and contribution on their season.
He should be starting at Forest pretty quickly. They're good enough that they should stay up. The bottom 3 are pretty obvious this year. Bottom 2 especially. Anybody hear if Forest acquired a GK today? I've been driving all day and unable to keep up, but had read they were in the market to upgrade over Turner. Not a good sign for him beyond this season.

Purp

That goal Turner conceded yesterday was awful. He played so well at the world cup, but he has made a lot of critical mistakes this season in the EPL.
He was always iffy with his feet. That's why Steffen was always ahead of him even after Steffen got spotty in goal. But Turner is a flat out liability right now when the ball is played back to him. Really hoping Gaga Slonina seizes this opportunity to become the #1 at a young age and stay there for 4 WC cycles or 5. He's got a very high ceiling and if he can cement himself in as starter for 2026 he could very well play in 5 WCs. GKs last a lot longer than outfield players and aren't really considered in their prime years until around 27 - 30 years of age. We've had such a strong run of elite GKs for the last 20 years (after Meola, not including him) that this last year or two has felt really bizarre.