• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Disappointed and surprised that MRob couldn't catch on in Europe. He's still only 26 and has performed very well on a very high level over a number of years. Maybe there's still concern he hasn't regained his best form since the Achilles injury? Maybe that's why he only signed a 1 year deal.

Purp

Timmy Weah scored a garbage time goal today. Good to see him earning more time after so much time on the shelf. McKennie got the day off.

Chongo94

Apparently Jesse Marsch is on Birmingham City’s shortlist after the debacle of hiring Rooney (which anyone with a brain knew was going to happen.)

Wonder how much input Tom Brady and his advisors have on any of BC’s organizational output?

Purp

Apparently Jesse Marsch is on Birmingham City’s shortlist after the debacle of hiring Rooney (which anyone with a brain knew was going to happen.)

Wonder how much input Tom Brady and his advisors have on any of BC’s organizational output?
No idea. I halfway doubt he knows who Marsch is. JJ Watt seems much more aware at Burnley. He's actually trying to recruit Koleosho to the U.S. without being overbearing. Latest rumors sound like Italy are the favorite for him, but JJ sounds like he'll make another pitch.

EVOfrogMR

That's such an impressive goal too. What a moment for DD. Really rooting for him. He's got to be due a good break or two.
I think if he hadn’t had the injuries he’d be the lead striker right now, even with Flo choosing the US. Happy to see him and Sargent both back healthy and scoring.

Purp

I think if he hadn’t had the injuries he’d be the lead striker right now, even with Flo choosing the US. Happy to see him and Sargent both back healthy and scoring.
I'm not sure he'd be top choice, but he'd bring a different type of weapon to the #9 position as a sub. He's had a couple strong runs of form abruptly halted by injury. If he can get back going again and consistently scoring he's got the physical attributes to be a dangerous #9.

Sarge is another who can't seem to catch a break. He'd taken over as the most important player for the Canaries before his injury. He's one who I absolutely love at the #9, but he doesn't suit Berhalter's ideas quite as well. His hold-up play is terrific and I think that's so important when you have guys like Weah, Puli, and Gio running off of you with their pace and skill. Then add in a guy like Musah who can drive from the center of the park and guys like Jedi and Dest with their pace and abilities from the wing back... A striker who can consistently win contested balls against top end center backs, hold up the play for reinforcements, and then distribute to talented players like that behind the back line is a really great asset to have. I believe Sarge could be our best striker option because of that if he can consistently score with the Nats.

We still don't have that go-to guy at the #9, but the quality of our depth at that position has never been better. I mean, a guy like Haji Wright would have been our obvious first choice 2 cycles ago and Jesus Ferreira would have been a close second. Now, I think we have 4-5 guys better than them when healthy and in form. We just need to get them chemistry with the first 11 and keep them healthy.

Purp

Pefok iced the game against Stuttgart with an insurance goal at 90+1. Good for him after missing so much time injured.