• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

Wexahu

TCU had a 0% chance of winning the national title under the BCS when we were in the WAC, Conference USA, or MWC. We don't even need to debate that, we saw it objectively in 2009 and 2010. Utah saw it in 2004 and 2008. Boise saw it in 2006, 2008, & 2009. ZERO. None. With the CFP it took an exceptionally rare set of circumstances and a multi-year process, to get a single G5 team in to the playoff, so it was only slightly better. Any system that at least gives an undefeated team a chance is objectively superior to one that 99 times out of 100 excludes them entirely.

First of all, we just saw Texas and Alabama played a game whose result was ultimately meaningless, because both the winner and the loser of the game got in over an undefeated team. So we know the results of the regular season is not as sacrosanct as you suggest.

Second, the current system is one where an undefeated team, both inside and outside the power conferences, can be excluded from the national title race. It happened in the BCS (Auburn), it happened in the 4 team playoff (Florida State). While it's theoretically possible that will happen to a G5 team in the 12 team playoff (1 undefeated G5 champion is guaranteed to be in, a second one could theoretically be excluded), it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to happen to a Power 5 team now. That's a step in the right direction.

So yes, a 12 team playoff means every single Power Conference team and 99% of G5 teams have a chance to "settle it on the field", whereas right now they do not.
We don't need to debate it? Sure we can. It absolutely wasn't zero chance in the BCS era.

How many ranked opponents did those Boise, Utah, and TCU teams play in OOC in those undefeated years? Hell, we were #3 in the BCS in 2010 having played 5-7 Oregon State, Tennessee Tech, 7-6 Baylor, and an MWC schedule. You don't think we could have jumped a spot had we dropped Tennessee Tech and beat, say, a legitimate Top 15 team on the road and had Oregon and Auburn lost a game? Of course they could have. Just because a bunch of undefeated teams from weak conferences who also deliberately scheduled patsies in the OOC didn't make the Final two in the BCS doesn't mean it could never happen. I mean, if they want to continue scheduling that way it might never happen, but the odds were definitely not "zero".

You're starting to sound like some of these other folks who said TCU would never make the CFP unless they went undefeated, or that the committee would never leave the Big 10 out of the CFP, etc, etc, etc.

I hate the argument that, no matter what, all undefeated teams deserve a chance. I think FSU probably did, and would have, had a few rare circumstances not been going against them. But Liberty? Nah, not with the schedule they played.

Zubaz

We don't need to debate it? Sure we can. It absolutely wasn't zero chance in the BCS era.

How many ranked opponents did those Boise, Utah, and TCU teams play in OOC in those undefeated years? Hell, we were #3 in the BCS in 2010 having played 5-7 Oregon State, Tennessee Tech, 7-6 Baylor, and an MWC schedule. You don't think we could have jumped a spot had we dropped Tennessee Tech and beat, say, a legitimate Top 15 team on the road? Or a Top 10 team? Of course they could have. Well, you gotta have em on your schedule first. Just because a bunch of undefeated teams from weak conferences who also deliberately scheduled patsies in the OOC didn't make the Final two in the BCS doesn't mean it could never happen. I mean, if they want to continue scheduling that way it might never happen, but the odds were definitely not "zero".
No, we would never have jumped a spot regardless. The only exception was if we had played, and beaten, one of the teams that were ahead of us, namely Texas/Alabama in 2009 (and even then we would have gotten jumped by Cincinnati) or Oregon/Auburn in 2010, and even in that case if you don't think we would have been jumped by a 1-loss team I would say you're dreaming. The conference schedule ALONE was all they needed to say that we didn't deserve a chance. We had 15 years worth of evidence that an undefeated team outside of the AQ conferences were never going to get in, and an undefeated non-AQ team never got in. By definition, the chance was zero.
I hate the argument that, no matter what, all undefeated teams deserve a chance.
Then just friggin say those teams are not even playing in the same league and be done with it. If they're playing in the same league and they do everything they are asked to do, then they deserve a chance to play for a national title. This notion that college football is better because we exclude teams from having a chance to win the national title based on this misplaced idea that it makes the regular season more meaningful (which we just saw is false anyway) is not something I agree with at all.

Wexahu

No, we would never have jumped a spot regardless. The only exception was if we had played, and beaten, one of the teams that were ahead of us, namely Texas/Alabama in 2009 (and even then we would have gotten jumped by Cincinnati) or Oregon/Auburn in 2010, and even in that case if you don't think we would have been jumped by a 1-loss team I would say you're dreaming. The conference schedule ALONE was all they needed to say that we didn't deserve a chance. We had 15 years worth of evidence that an undefeated team outside of the AQ conferences were never going to get in, and an undefeated non-AQ team never got in. By definition, the chance was zero.

Then just friggin say those teams are not even playing in the same league and be done with it. If they're playing in the same league and they do everything they are asked to do, then they deserve a chance to play for a national title. This notion that college football is better because we exclude teams from having a chance to win the national title based on this misplaced idea that it makes the regular season more meaningful (which we just saw is false anyway) is not something I agree with at all.
We didn't have one example where an undefeated team outside the AQ conference got in, but we also don't have one example of one that played a difficult OOC schedule. And scheduling is largely in their control. I think had we played a Top 10 team in 2010 and had either Oregon or Auburn lost, we'd have been in.

As for Liberty, if a school from a league like that wants to play Bowling Green, New Mexico State, and Buffalo, they are just trying to back in to an undefeated record about as easily as they can and they aren't very serious about competing for a national title (and thus shouldn't be able to compete for one), so yeah, let's just put those teams in a different league.

froginmn

TCU had a 0% chance of winning the national title under the BCS when we were in the WAC, Conference USA, or MWC. We don't even need to debate that, we saw it objectively in 2009 and 2010.
In 2009, Texas won the Big 12 when a second was added to the clock in the CG. If they had lost, Cincy wouldn't have jumped us and we would have finished second and played for the title.

You can claim that they would have found a way to rig things and keep us out, but the above paragraph is true.

Limey Frog

In 2009, Texas won the Big 12 when a second was added to the clock in the CG. If they had lost, Cincy wouldn't have jumped us and we would have finished second and played for the title.

You can claim that they would have found a way to rig things and keep us out, but the above paragraph is true.
I remember GP saying that he was watching that game and when McCoy threw that incompletion at the end of the game he opened his front door to hear all the TCU people running outside to cheer. I lived six blocks from the stadium and had my hand on the front doorknob, turning it to run outside and scream like a maniac when my friend called me back with a "don't look now but the Big 12 is about to screw us" tone in his voice. TCU should (and would) have played for a natty, and I promise you that GP would have heard me from his house.

Zubaz

I don't buy for a second that Cinci wouldn't have jumped us. They were in an AQ conference, and the last week of the season they beat a Top 15 team while we beat the worst team in FBS. They jumped us in the BCS rankings anyway, no reason to think it would have been any different had Texas lost.

Limey Frog

I don't buy for a second that Cinci wouldn't have jumped us. They were in an AQ conference, and the last week of the season they beat a Top 15 team while we beat the worst team in FBS. They jumped us in the BCS rankings anyway, no reason to think it would have been any different had Texas lost.
Every projection I recall seeing had us at no. 2 if Texas lost, but memory is selective and even then they were only projections. It's impossible to know for sure.

Wexahu

Every projection I recall seeing had us at no. 2 if Texas lost, but memory is selective and even then they were only projections. It's impossible to know for sure.
I think it's fair to say that the odds were never "zero", as zubaz claims.

I think it was pretty unanimous here that a non-P5 school would never make the CFP.....no chance, they all said, the committee would never do that. Then Cincy made it.

It would have been far easier IMO for TCU to win a title in the BCS era than it will be now.

stbrab

I think it's fair to say that the odds were never "zero", as zubaz claims.

I think it was pretty unanimous here that a non-P5 school would never make the CFP.....no chance, they all said, the committee would never do that. Then Cincy made it.

It would have been far easier IMO for TCU to win a title in the BCS era than it will be now.
You may be right, but you can’t win the title unless you get the opportunity to play for it. In the 12 team format, more teams, including TCU will get that opportunity. I believe the title should be won on the field, not because you were invited to the dance such as with the BCS…or prior when the “champion” was voted on.

froginmn

Actually it would have been different. I can't remember the specifics but it had something to do with some of the calculations that related to rankings (e.g. we would have jumped Texas in a computer ranking but Cincy wouldn't, and that ranking was part of the calculation).

You can say that they would have found a way (have coaches suddenly rank us lower, etc.) but mathematically it would have put us at 2.

Wexahu

Actually it would have been different. I can't remember the specifics but it had something to do with some of the calculations that related to rankings (e.g. we would have jumped Texas in a computer ranking but Cincy wouldn't, and that ranking was part of the calculation).

You can say that they would have found a way (have coaches suddenly rank us lower, etc.) but mathematically it would have put us at 2.
And we had a mighty OOC of 9-5 Clemson, 3-9 Virginia, and Texas State that year. I think Clemson might have sneaked in at #25 in the last poll. Imagine had we beaten a Top 10 team or something, like all the other real contenders probably did, we'd have had an even stronger case.

Yeah, not "zero percent, nada" chance for sure.

Zubaz

If I remember, the argument at the time around here was that if Texas had lost, more human voters for Texas would have shifted their votes to us than Cincinnati and that would have been enough to overcome the gains that Cincinnati made over us in the computer polls. It was not an opinion really shared outside of TCU fans, and I don't think that it was correct at all, just because that wasn't really the way that things worked at the time. Cinci jumped us in the last ranking, and the only common opponent we had with Texas was both curbstomping Wyoming (so if anything, a Texas loss would have ever-so-slightly hurt us).

Really, Texas' loss wouldn't have really "helped" either of us or Cinci outside of just getting them out of the way and turning a #3 vs #4 ranking in to a #2 vs #3 ranking, so the race between us and Cinci would have pretty much been exactly the same whether Texas won or lost.

Last edited:

An-Cap Frog

Even a top 4 team with a first round bye, might have to beat Georgia, Alabama, and Michigan to win a title. A school like TCU can make it to the party in any given year, just make the top 12, and then go on to win a first round and possibly a second round game, but to win three in a row or even four would be difficult.

However, TCU 2014 might have been able to accomplish that.

Game 1 TCU vs. KSU
Game 2 TCU vs. FSU
Game 3 TCU vs. Oregon
Game 4 TCU vs. tOSU

froginmn

If I remember, the argument at the time around here was that if Texas had lost, more human voters for Texas would have shifted their votes to us than Cincinnati and that would have been enough to overcome the gains that Cincinnati made over us in the computer polls. It was not an opinion really shared outside of TCU fans, and I don't think that it was correct at all, just because that wasn't really the way that things worked at the time. Cinci jumped us in the last ranking, and the only common opponent we had with Texas was both curbstomping Wyoming (so if anything, a Texas loss would have ever-so-slightly hurt us).

Really, Texas' loss wouldn't have really "helped" either of us or Cinci outside of just getting them out of the way and turning a #3 vs #4 ranking in to a #2 vs #3 ranking, so the race between us and Cinci would have pretty much been exactly the same whether Texas won or lost.
That's not what I remember at all.

As I said, I remembered that if Texas had lost we'd have jumped them in some metric. Looks like that was the computer ranking, as shown near the bottom here:

ttps://bleacherreport.com/articles/1930252-bcs-years-in-review-2009-alabama-and-texas-more-equal-than-other-unbeatens

Edit: this site won't work on our forum. Add an h to the above link...

The chart in question shows:

Final 2009 BCS Standings
RankTeamCoachesHarrisComputersBCS
1Alabama111.9978
2Texas223.9433
3Cincinnati442.8878
4TCU335.8836
5Florida554.8637
6Boise State66T-6.8106

We were 5 and Texas 3. We would have jumped them but Cincy was already #2 so a Texas loss would have helped us but not them. That would have caused our overall ranking to go ahead of Cincy.

Last edited:

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Dual-threat QB KJ Jefferson is a 'home run' transfer for UCF

www.msn.com.ico
Orlando Sentinel on MSN.com|16 hours ago
This is a home run," Malzahn said of Jefferson. "We were looking for a transfer quarterback at the end of the season .. a veteran guy. When he went in the portal, he's the

JugbandFrog

Even a top 4 team with a first round bye, might have to beat Georgia, Alabama, and Michigan to win a title. A school like TCU can make it to the party in any given year, just make the top 12, and then go on to win a first round and possibly a second round game, but to win three in a row or even four would be difficult.

However, TCU 2014 might have been able to accomplish that.

Game 1 TCU vs. KSU
Game 2 TCU vs. FSU
Game 3 TCU vs. Oregon
Game 4 TCU vs. tOSU
Not without Catalon. His loss would have hurt down that stretch.