• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

FroginBedford68

Transfer Offensive Lineman Howard Sampson Flips Commitment to UNC​

Posted Jan 7, 2024
North Texas offensive tackle transfer Howard Sampson committed to TCU last month. On Sunday, he flipped his commitment to North Carolina. Before committing to TCU on Dec. 18, Sampson, a 6-foot-8, 325-pound, took early December official visits to UNC and home state TCU. "It's going to be hard to beat North Carolina, I'm not going to lie," Sampson said.
Such has taken away most of the enjoyment and enthusiasm for college football....In the movie version of The Wizard of Oz, Dorothy remarked after the Good Witch disappeared, "My, people come and go so quickly around here".....

frogetaboutit

Transfer Offensive Lineman Howard Sampson Flips Commitment to UNC​

Posted Jan 7, 2024
North Texas offensive tackle transfer Howard Sampson committed to TCU last month. On Sunday, he flipped his commitment to North Carolina. Before committing to TCU on Dec. 18, Sampson, a 6-foot-8, 325-pound, took early December official visits to UNC and home state TCU. "It's going to be hard to beat North Carolina, I'm not going to lie," Sampson said.
Same coach who recruited him to North Texas Is now coaching the O line at NC. Might not happen much any more in the days of NIL but assuming in this case relationships still matter.

Wexahu

Without knowing anything about the player, hard to get excited about New Mexico State transfers. Really hope a lot of these new transfers are diamonds in the rough kind of athletes.
I don't get too excited about much of anything these days as it pertains to college football, but name me a few transfers we've gotten from big-time schools that ended up being really good.

I guess you could say John Diarse, Aaron Green and Kenny Hill. But then there is Josh Doctson, Josh Newton, Alan Ali, Ben Banogu, Dylan Horton.......

I just don't think there's a track record at all that says if you get a kid from a big-name school its any different than getting one from no-name school. We've got three Alabama transfers on the team now that really haven't been difference makers at all.

Zubaz

I don't get too excited about much of anything these days as it pertains to college football, but name me a few transfers we've gotten from big-time schools that ended up being really good.

I guess you could say John Diarse, Aaron Green and Kenny Hill. But then there is Josh Doctson, Josh Newton, Alan Ali, Ben Banogu, Dylan Horton.......

I just don't think there's a track record at all that says if you get a kid from a big-name school its any different than getting one from no-name school. We've got three Alabama transfers on the team now that really haven't been difference makers at all.
Jared Wiley would probably be the most recent. He was absolutely a difference maker for us.

Wexahu

Jared Wiley would probably be the most recent. He was absolutely a difference maker for us.
Ah yes, forgot about him.

Not sure it really changes my point though. We had the former 5-star RB from Michigan, the DL from South Carolina that everyone got excited about, I think there was another kid from LSU that never saw the field, maybe got in trouble stealing stuff. The LB on the team now from Texas. Shad Banks has kind of been meh.

I'd generally always take the full-time starter and kid that got some accolades at a small school vs. a kid that never really saw the field from blue blood U.

Limey Frog

Give me the seasoned multi-year starter from a less-regarded program over the hypothetically talented however-many-star recruit that hasn't played an didn't work out at [big name program] every time. It's easy to imagine how coaches at fifty programs missed out on spotting one player among the thousands upon thousands in the high school ranks, and who then developed in unforeseen ways into a great college-level player. It's much less likely that if a coaching staff of dozens has let one of roughly a hundred players leave they are doing so for any reason other than that he just doesn't have the stuff.

G Mother Froggen P

I hear your point and agree to a certain degree. That Georgia NC game has permanently scarred me, and I don't think we'll ever bridge the talent gap with the DII/DIII transfers. I don't know the right answer to inch closer, but wish we were getting more of the AD Mitchells of the world instead of new mexico state, cal, ecu, etc..

Wexahu

I hear your point and agree to a certain degree. That Georgia NC game has permanently scarred me, and I don't think we'll ever bridge the talent gap with the DII/DIII transfers. I don't know the right answer to inch closer, but wish we were getting more of the AD Mitchells of the world instead of new mexico state, cal, ecu, etc..
I don't see how you beat, or even compete with, teams like Georgia using players they don't want.

If you think the players transferring from those schools are mostly kids they would have liked to keep, I think you would be wrong about that. Not that they never lose a kid they really wanted to keep, but it's not often.

edit: We're never going to really bridge the talent gap with teams like Georgia, especially now with professional athletes playing the college game and the transfer rules in place. In fact, it's most likely just going to get wider. So what do we do?

I know what I've done for the most part. Stopped caring. Why put any emotion into something so futile?

I don't see how you beat, or even compete with, teams like Georgia using players they don't want.

If you think the players transferring from those schools are mostly kids they would have liked to keep, I think you would be wrong about that. Not that they never lose a kid they really wanted to keep, but it's not often.

edit: We're never going to really bridge the talent gap with teams like Georgia, especially now with professional athletes playing the college game and the transfer rules in place. In fact, it's most likely just going to get wider. So what do we do?

I know what I've done for the most part. Stopped caring. Why put any emotion into something so futile?
You focus on basketball (round ball, hoops) and its 13 scholarships and the facilities to facilitate the drive to the top. I have been saying that ever since I started tapping on this site, and since then Baylor has won a national championship and Houston might this year. Baylor has now opened a gorgeous new arena and training/practice facilities.

TCU is fortunate to have Dixon, but likely not taking full advantage of having him because TCU alums are more focused on football in comparison, as we see reflected on this site.

TCU has always missed on the opportunity to use basketball as the front porch for national exposure. A March Madness tourney where a huge section of America fills out a bracket and watches. TCU has chosen to not be a part of that very visible bracket. Dixon is a great start - the Frogs fell into that because he is an alum, but is TCU willing to put on a full court press.

It maybe helps that Jeremiah Donati played Divison 3 basketball.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
NMSU would beat a random DII/DIII FCS school by 40+. It is a long way from DII.

I get it, but the guys from less hyped schools are OFTEN their cream of the crop, as opposed to the pool from higher regarded schools who may be injured husks, castoffs, malcontents, OR good players looking for a change of scenery.

Palliative Care

Before the portal, there were a few players who trickled in and hardly ever did they make an immediate impact because they usually had to wait out a year to be eligible to play. Now in the portal era so many players are available that if you want to enhance your program you have to have a plan and cash. Still we saw what A$M did and also Colorado. It does not always produce results right a way or at all to go on spending sprees in the portal.

Can you buy enough to compete with Ga? No but um.. we did compete last year with Michigan. Oh and BTW they had a fairly good team this year. So it is not exactly impossible to compete on that level.

I suppose that a TCU could win it all. I guess you need some luck with what you do but I think that an expanded play off will level the field some too because there will always be an upset or two.

So I do not see it as hopeless just not always probable each season.