• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
What happened to all the posts about how we wouldn't be going after Jefferson because we could do better? Unless we're going to land Jefferson or some equivalent QB target and the artist Seal, two years of data suggest that TCU isn't able to land a covered QB transfer. That's fine, if so. Plenty of decent programs probably can't. But if that's how it is you need to be extra careful to keep your prized HS recruits happy. If we want another Max, we need to develop him here, like the actual Max.
Hauss

ShreveFrog

A very negative article from Arkansas on KJ Jefferson’s ability in more progression read offenses and his NFL prospects. Briles’ offense was relatively simple with Jefferson.
I only care if KJ is the best QB available to run TCU’s offense under Briles in ‘24. Could not care less about his NFL prospects. That article was just a giant dump on his ambitions from some butthurt Razorback homer.

Last edited:

FloridaFrog76129

If you had the choice among Jefferson, Purdy, or Seals who would you take and why?
Jefferson - no question.

The other guys are P5 backups with low ceilings…probably not as good as Sam Jackson

Vanderbilt is effectively a G5 program in the SEC…don’t think they’ve made a bowl since Franklin left

Ken Seals is 2-25 against P5 teams with those 2 wins being UConn and Colorado State…in 2021

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

What happened to all the posts about how we wouldn't be going after Jefferson because we could do better? Unless we're going to land Jefferson or some equivalent QB target and the artist Seal, two years of data suggest that TCU isn't able to land a covered QB transfer. That's fine, if so. Plenty of decent programs probably can't. But if that's how it is you need to be extra careful to keep your prized HS recruits happy. If we want another Max, we need to develop him here, like the actual Max.
I dont remember any posts that said we could do better than Jefferson at QB.
We’d probably have an excellent shot if we named him our ‘24 starter.
…but that’s not likely, as coaches dont believe he’s the missing piece to a Conf. Championship next year.

Most highly rated QB transfers do look at Big Logo U. first, so you’re probably correct, TCU’s best chance to land a prized QB is HS recruiting, or a very good up and coming group QB.
For instance: BU landed Dequan Finn a 6’-2 QB with legit 4.35 speed out of Toledo. A 63.5% 2700 yd passer with 22 TDs & 9 Ints, plus 573 yds rushing & 7 more TDs this year. I don‘t think TCU even contacted him.

TCU’s portal advantage is more in line with landing highly experienced players that want to return home to the metroplex.

An-Cap Frog

Jefferson - no question.

The other guys are P5 backups with low ceilings…probably not as good as Sam Jackson

Vanderbilt is effectively a G5 program in the SEC…don’t think they’ve made a bowl since Franklin left

Ken Seals is 2-25 against P5 teams with those 2 wins being UConn and Colorado State…in 2021
QBs can be like staring pitchers sometimes. The ERA is good, but there is no run support, so there are no wins to show for the effort.

82 Frog Fever

If you had the choice among Jefferson, Purdy, or Seals who would you take and why?
Tough question between Jefferson or Seals. Purdy hasn’t ever produced.

Jefferson is really good and probably headed to UCF as of now.
If the coaches believed we had a 50/50 shot at the CCG, I’d be tempted to take Jefferson.

But if not at least 50/50, it‘s not worth losing Hoover. That would leave us with 1 very young QB (Hejny) for ‘25.

I think the odds are less than 50/50 for a CCG berth in ‘24, so Hoover plus Hejny/Seals seems like the QB room that can win 8 or more games next year, and still provide us with 2 very good QBs for 2025. (Hoover/Hejny) …and we’d still have Seals for ‘25 too.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I think the point was that TCU feels they already have someone better than Jefferson on the roster and it didn't make sense to get into an NIL bidding war over a big name QB. They're looking to spend money on linemen and proven playmakers.

Limey Frog

I think the point was that TCU feels they already have someone better than Jefferson on the roster and it didn't make sense to get into an NIL bidding war over a big name QB. They're looking to spend money on linemen and proven playmakers.
Yeah, I think we've spent money fairly wisely so far as we can tell at this point. We have enough guys from which a decent o-line and receiver corps should emerge, plus extra bodies where we need them on defense. I guess we're hoping that Hoover will be solid with what we have around him, and Seal will be a good-enough backup. I could see that working out.

82 Frog Fever

I understand there are people who don't agree but the coaches (including the guy who has been the OC for both players) simply believe Josh Hoover is a better QB than KJ Jefferson.
Hoover may be a better fit for a number of reasons.
He may be a better fit when considering eligibility remaining. 3 years Hoover Vs. 1 year Jefferson
He may be a better fit because a Jefferson choice would likely leave TCU with only 1 young QB for the 2025 season. Versus a Hoover choice leaving TCU with 3 capable QBs for 2025
He may be a better fit because TCU doesn’t want to spend $300k+ of NIL money

However, I doubt you have anything from any coach that provides their thoughts on any individual player‘s skills/abilities and how they are rated against peers.
If you do, put it up.

y2kFrog

Hoover may be a better fit for a number of reasons.
He may be a better fit when considering eligibility remaining. 3 years Hoover Vs. 1 year Jefferson
He may be a better fit because a Jefferson choice would likely leave TCU with only 1 young QB for the 2025 season. Versus a Hoover choice leaving TCU with 3 capable QBs for 2025
He may be a better fit because TCU doesn’t want to spend $300k+ of NIL money

However, I doubt you have anything from any coach that provides their thoughts on any individual player‘s skills/abilities and how they are rated against peers.
If you do, put it up.

In general, if you can develop your own QB instead of having to enter a bidding war every year, it will be way easier to build a complete team.

82 Frog Fever

In general, if you can develop your own QB instead of having to enter a bidding war every year, it will be way easier to build a complete team.
Totally agree, but the reason we’re in this situation is all 5 of the QBs in our 2020 & 2021 classes failed to pan out. (I guess Battle could be an exception)

ShreveFrog

I think we/Briles need/want a dual threat QB. And I think Hejny is the only one on the roster who poses that run threat. That's why I'd like a bridge like Jefferson. I like Hoov. But I don't think the D has to respect his run. Maybe I'm wrong.

An-Cap Frog

I think we/Briles need/want a dual threat QB. And I think Hejny is the only one on the roster who poses that run threat. That's why I'd like a bridge like Jefferson. I like Hoov. But I don't think the D has to respect his run. Maybe I'm wrong.
Also, with no suitable back-up you are an injury away from starting a true freshman, so that may limit the playbook to some extent.

y2kFrog

I understand there are people who don't agree but the coaches (including the guy who has been the OC for both players) simply believe Josh Hoover is a better QB than KJ Jefferson.

I mean Briles had at least some contact and interest with Hoover all the way back to his time at Arkansas. It is clear by now that he (and Dykes) are more then content with him as being the presumed QB1.