• The KillerFrogs

2022 Recruiting Thread

Wexahu

I get it. But it’s not like the NIL is gonna help Bama/OSU/OU/etc with their recruiting. They already get pretty whoever they want.

It’ll help with the recruiting of other team’s players. G5’s and under will be like farm teams. Exaggerating somewhat, but not really. The days of an Alabama or Ohio State being caught short at a position or two were few and far between. Now it’ll be never, they’ll just go poaching to fill whatever holes they have.

netty2424

At what point does the SEC start to publicly ignore NCAA rules? Insert jokes here, but seriously, when will they allow a team to play a player who is supposed to sit, or offer more scholarships than the current rules allow, or publicly recruit another programs player, etc.

NCAA is seemingly done. What purpose do they serve at this point? Has the NCAA even released a statement about any of this?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
At what point does the SEC start to publicly ignore NCAA rules? Insert jokes here, but seriously, when will they allow a team to play a player who is supposed to sit, or offer more scholarships than the current rules allow, or publicly recruit another programs player, etc.

NCAA is seemingly done. What purpose do they serve at this point? Has the NCAA even released a statement about any of this?
Or get caught, penalized and then just ignore it? If the NCAA handed Alabama a bowl ban I doubt ESPN would just not include them in the CFP discussion.

SEC is contemplating 150 scholarship limit instead of 85. They are trying to recreate college football to the 1960s 1970s. ESPN and their 20-24 schools they want miss those years. They don't like all these other universities making their brands better than those whose use to be strong like the Longhorns. Michigan becoming irrelevant, Nebraska, even Notre Dames brand. Sharing their glory with schools like UCF and Cincinnati, they want that totally destroyed and back to the good ol days. They are ruining college football for a lot of fans.

jack the frog

SEC is contemplating 150 scholarship limit instead of 85. They are trying to recreate college football to the 1960s 1970s. ESPN and their 20-24 schools they want miss those years. They don't like all these other universities making their brands better than those whose use to be strong like the Longhorns. Michigan becoming irrelevant, Nebraska, even Notre Dames brand. Sharing their glory with schools like UCF and Cincinnati, they want that totally destroyed and back to the good ol days. They are ruining college football for a lot of fans.

Emmert made these comments just days before the UT/SEC news broke. They struck me as a little off-key at the time but certainly fit the theme now. ESPN and the SEC may let the NCAA have a few crumbs as long as they play ball.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2021/07/15/ncaa-president-mark/

Froggish

Recruiting:

Wanted to note that dead period has lifted again and TCU has another “prospects” camp planned for tomorrow (Friday). Hopefully some strong targets will show up and some new offers/commitments will pop. I believe their are also a few players who have current offers that will be in town.

Moose Stuff

Would be an unmitigated disaster and complete headache for coaches. You’ve got NO CHANCE to keep 150 kids happy in this day and age. You’re gonna have kids who are like 8th on the depth chart that are entitled 4 star recruits who want immediate playing time and NIL money. Will be a non stop transfer carousel with like 30-50 kids transferring out every year. So scheissing stupid.

Wexahu

Not sure if serious or not, but if they continue to allow kids to transfer without skipping a year, even if it is just once (which I believe is what is expected), the number of scholarships becomes somewhat irrelevant. The monied schools are going to get who they want from wherever they want and fill whatever needs they have. Only about 50 kids play, so whether it's 85 scholarships or 150, it won't really matter. You're not going to have 100 scholarship kids sitting benches for SEC teams.

Eight

the sec? heck, why do people keep think anything is going to happen to baylor, didn't we have skip on here telling us kansas and other basketball programs were in trouble with the wire taps?

the playbook as been long established with the ncaa, lawyer up and they will back off.

Purp

I think there may be a longer term angle to this that could benefit college football. If they do eventually for a super league I don't think it would be as lucrative as college football is now. I think this is clearly a play by the blue bloods and ESPN to consolidate power and hoard revenues from the sport, but there's a risk that they go too far. A super league of 24 - 32 schools would effectively be a semi-pro league followed only by the fan bases of those schools. There will be far fewer casual fans for that league, IMO.

At a minimum, the college football fans who went to schools outside of the super league would almost be totally ambivalent. I love sports of all types and at all levels, but if TCU doesn't have a chance to compete for a championship I couldn't care less. It will be like a higher level of FCS football. I'll watch if I have nothing else to do.

The t-shirt fan bases for most big state Us will likely dwindle, too. Instead of all these schools being the big dog in their conferences most of them will become average to below average in their league and the bandwagon supporters will find a new interest. Most of the blue bloods aren't in major metro areas. They're rural outfits who only get their support from

Meanwhile, the other football programs that don't dissolve b/c their revenue model was destroyed can return to the days of college football before ESPN took over. I'm sure most of those games will still be televised, but payouts won't be nearly as high. That said, it'll be more pure and less corrupt. The games will be more exciting and compelling. They won't take nearly as long and have commercial breaks between each drive. It'll be more about the team and pride in the school than an individual player or manufactured story line. I think it would also restore a lot of old, traditional rivalries. Inagine the SWC being restored without Texas, aTm, and Arkansas, but adding Pokes, Tulsa and EMAW, for example. Or maybe LaTech. But regional rivalries within driving distance can be possible again b/c TV enterprises won't render them unprofitable. They'll become the most economic and attractive matchups again. Plus, it'll create opportunities for other programs to become blue bloods in the new era without the pompous clowns that always made college football caustic.

I'm not wishing for TCU to be left out of a major conference so that this can happen. I still want a chance to win a natty at the highest level possible. I only bring it up to say that there is a point at which these greedy [ "illegitimate Baylor boys" ] can go too far and realize diminishing returns as a result. I'm not so sure they aren't really close to that point already.