• The KillerFrogs

2020 “Other” Bowl Games

netty2424

And this is now retired long time Marlins scouting director Stan Meek sarcastically agreeing with him.

Big talk from these guys. Give them a chance to land a top talent that had opted out and I bet these tweets disappear.

I’ve picked up on here what you do for a living, but there is a long list of examples in professional sports where ownership turns a blind eye to much worse than trying to secure your future by sitting out a game.

And there are quite a few examples(several listed above) of players opting out that do just fine in the NFL.

And to be clear, as a fan I’m not for opting out, but I certainly understand it. Sucks for the collegiate game, NCAA has no leverage anymore.

LisaLT

Big talk from these guys. Give them a chance to land a top talent that had opted out and I bet these tweets disappear.

I’ve picked up on here what you do for a living, but there is a long list of examples in professional sports where ownership turns a blind eye to much worse than trying to secure your future by sitting out a game.

And there are quite a few examples(several listed above) of players opting out that do just fine in the NFL.

And to be clear, as a fan I’m not for opting out, but I certainly understand it. Sucks for the collegiate game, NCAA has no leverage anymore.
I agree with you. Top talent always can do no wrong. Pretty sure if Trevor Lawrence had opted out this year (or even for the CFP) he would still be the #1 draft pick of the 2021 draft.

People might think he's an A$$ for doing so but he's a winning A$$. That's what its all about in the NFL.

CountryFrog

I agree with you. Top talent always can do no wrong. Pretty sure if Trevor Lawrence had opted out this year (or even for the CFP) he would still be the #1 draft pick of the 2021 draft.

People might think he's an A$$ for doing so but he's a winning A$$. That's what its all about in the NFL.
I don't disagree with this but if Trevor Lawrence had decided to sit out these playoff games after having played the whole season then I absolutely think that would impact a lot of people's opinion of him. Not talking about the Texas Bowl or even the Cotton Bowl but actual playoff games.

Fact is though Lawrence probably didn't get to be as good as he is without having a strong passion for the game and probably would never consider sitting out any game.

LisaLT

I don't disagree with this but if Trevor Lawrence had decided to sit out these playoff games after having played the whole season then I absolutely think that would impact a lot of people's opinion of him. Not talking about the Texas Bowl or even the Cotton Bowl but actual playoff games.

Fact is though Lawrence probably didn't get to be as good as he is without having a strong passion for the game and probably would never consider sitting out any game.
I was using him as an "example" of a high caliber player that NFL teams would give a pass to - not saying he is the type of guy to do that. He's considered a generational talent. No one would pass him up for sitting out - even if they thought it was a douchy thing to do. :)

CountryFrog

I was using him as an "example" of a high caliber player that NFL teams would give a pass to - not saying he is the type of guy to do that. He's considered a generational talent. No one would pass him up for sitting out - even if they thought it was a douchy thing to do. :)
Oh I get it. I guess my point is that there are very few if any generational type of talents who would sit out games because there is typically a strong correlation between being that good and having a passion for the game that isn't going to allow you to do that.

Wexahu

Oh I get it. I guess my point is that there are very few if any generational type of talents who would sit out games because there is typically a strong correlation between being that good and having a passion for the game that isn't going to allow you to do that.

A lot depends on what position they play too. Lawrence could probably suffer a pretty serious injury tomorrow and still go #1. Not so with position players.