• The KillerFrogs

2018 Spring Football

Frog92

I doubt Mr. Johnson has any memory of that play. Still the hardest shot I’ve seen a Frog deliver. Would absolutely be a targeting ejection today, but the stadium was going nuts after that one.
Would probably be flagged initially, but he leads with the shoulder and hits him in the upper part of the chest. Did he launch upwards? Yes, so I think it is close. To me that's a great football play and why is has to be darn near impossible to play safety under today's rules. What could he possibly do different other than maybe lower the strike zone by a foot?

Gunner

BTW, if you tackle properly, with your head up(which is safer), you cannot be flagged. Chest tackle said the great Bum Phillips.

Sebastian S

But right now, I am REALLY excited to see what Mr. Robinson can do for this team. He has the potential to be a great one.

I have a good feeling.

It seems like he has been with the team for 2 years, I believe he has a great understanding of the offense and will do great. He is Cumbie's first QB recruited right?

He will take what Kenny Hill did and elevate it to the next level.

Let's hold off on Mr. Rogers.

jake102

Justin Rogers seemingly has been getting all the attention and press as of late, and granted, he's a great pick up for our program and I hope he kicks some ass for us one day.

But right now, I am REALLY excited to see what Mr. Robinson can do for this team. He has the potential to be a great one.

Yeah I remember a couple years ago when everyone was hanging on all of DeSoto's playoff games and amazed at Robinson and how hard he throws the ball. Now it seems we are just waiting until Rogers can play. I am pretty excited for the 1-2 punch and hope Rogers redshirts in 2018.

FrogCop19

I doubt Mr. Johnson has any memory of that play. Still the hardest shot I’ve seen a Frog deliver. Would absolutely be a targeting ejection today, but the stadium was going nuts after that one.

I've tried and tried to find a good video of that hit over the years. All I can find is a YouTube video that looks like it's on a ColecoVision.

hqdefault.jpg

Wexahu

Yeah I remember a couple years ago when everyone was hanging on all of DeSoto's playoff games and amazed at Robinson and how hard he throws the ball. Now it seems we are just waiting until Rogers can play. I am pretty excited for the 1-2 punch and hope Rogers redshirts in 2018.

I look at it this way - we've got two pretty good chances to end up with a really good QB. I don't expect for the one that ends up losing the starting job in 2019 to stay at TCU through their eligibility (especially if SR wins the job) but that's just a guess. I just know we're in good shape to have good QB play for awhile.

This is kind of unchartered waters for us, to have two really talented, young QBs that can both throw the ball on the team at the same time.

Zubaz

I look at it this way - we've got two pretty good chances to end up with a really good QB. I don't expect for the one that ends up losing the starting job in 2019 to stay at TCU through their eligibility (especially if SR wins the job) but that's just a guess. I just know we're in good shape to have good QB play for awhile.
If JR redshirts in 2018, he would be a freshman while Shawn is a Junior and in line to start his last two years. I'm not sure he'd want to wait that long (or if it's even wise to keep him off that long), but because SR wasn't red-shirted there are some options to put distance between them.

This is kind of unchartered waters for us, to have two really talented, young QBs that can both throw the ball on the team at the same time.
Utah+v+TCU+Xrdj5GFzCV-m.jpg

Sebastian S

2018 - SR(Soph), JR(Redshirt)
2019 - SR(Jr), JR(Fr)
2020 - SR(Sr), JR(Soph), Another great qb recruit(redshirt)
2021 - JR(Jr), Another great qb recruit(Fr)
2022 - JR(Sr), Another great qb recruit(Soph)
January 2023 - TCU wins the national championship and Patterson rides off in the sunset.
2023 - Cumbie era begins.

Last edited:

Wexahu

If JR redshirts in 2018, he would be a freshman while Shawn is a Junior and in line to start his last two years. I'm not sure he'd want to wait that long (or if it's even wise to keep him off that long), but because SR wasn't red-shirted there are some options to put distance between them.

Utah+v+TCU+Xrdj5GFzCV-m.jpg

I'm just guessing he wouldn't want to wait that long. It seems like VERY few really highly touted kids these days sit around for 3 years on the sidelines patiently waiting their turn. If he was a local kid who had some ties to the university I think it'd be a little different, but I don't think he came to TCU to sit until 2021.

QB situations can turn on a dime. A&M landed KH, Josh Allen and Kyler Murray in almost consecutive years and Nick Starkey was starting for them last year. I know, it's A&M and they tend to screw everything up, but you never know what's going to happen. I'd think the odds of the perfect scenario.....SR starting the next 3 years and JR starting in 2021 and 2022, are extremely remote, just because things hardly ever turn out as expected.

Zubaz

I'm just guessing he wouldn't want to wait that long. It seems like VERY few really highly touted kids these days sit around for 3 years on the sidelines patiently waiting their turn. If he was a local kid who had some ties to the university I think it'd be a little different, but I don't think he came to TCU to sit until 2021.

QB situations can turn on a dime. A&M landed KH, Josh Allen and Kyler Murray in almost consecutive years and Nick Starkey was starting for them last year. I know, it's A&M and they tend to screw everything up, but you never know what's going to happen. I'd think the odds of the perfect scenario.....SR starting the next 3 years and JR starting in 2021 and 2022, are extremely remote, just because things hardly ever turn out as expected.
Well yes, but that's why you always recruit QB's. We thought by now we'd be firmly in the Sawyer-Muehlstein era, but by last year one of them was gone and the other was a third stringer behind a true Freshman.

I'm just saying the time period between the two is not neck and neck, it's pretty much identical to what Pachall and Boykin saw. Of course, nobody can tell if Boykin would have stayed if Pachall hadn't had his indiscretions in 2012 and injuries in 2013.

Wexahu

Well yes, but that's why you always recruit QB's. We thought by now we'd be firmly in the Sawyer-Muehlstein era, but by last year one of them was gone and the other was a third stringer behind a true Freshman.

I'm just saying the time period between the two is not neck and neck, it's pretty much identical to what Pachall and Boykin saw. Of course, nobody can tell if Boykin would have stayed if Pachall hadn't had his indiscretions in 2012 and injuries in 2013.

He would have played WR. He was the best one we had, remember? :)