• The KillerFrogs

2018 Bowl Game TV Guide w/ Spreads

Wexahu

You don’t think one run like that in the FCS wouldn’t be? I certainly do. But sadly that will never happen.

It would end the argumentative farce. But it would also greatly reduce the chances of all but the very best power programs of winning it all. BYU most likely would've never won a title in 1984 if there was even a 4-team playoff back then, much less an 8-team playoff. I think Georgia Tech shared a title a while back....very most likely wouldn't have happened with an 8-team playoff. it would just make it so much harder for the underdogs (as in the teams with fewer resources, lesser recruiting classes, etc) to survive a gauntlet like that.

We came closest to a national title in 2010 when all we needed was Auburn or Oregon to lose a game somewhere along the way, and we would've been in the National Title game without really even playing a great team....wouldn't have even needed to win a semi-final game. One game and we win it all. As good as that team was, how likely was it going to be to win three straight games against most likely blue-blood powers.

That's the irony in all this. We're all rooting for something that isn't going to help us get to our ultimate goal at all. I think UCF is better off being able to hang a fake banner and reminisce about what could've/would've happened instead of actually having to play an Alabama-type team and likely getting their ass handed to them.

Chongo94

No I do not. You should post why you think it would so I can evaluate your thought process and avatar

Ha, I’ll do even better my good sir. See below. Also, check out Armenta’s for some good food next time you’re in Angelo.

Elsa-Pataky-Too-Hot.jpg

Pharm Frog

I've eaten many times at Armenta's and it is quite good. I still prefer Franco's (and a couple of plates at Fuentes) but haven't eaten at Franco's in years so I can only hope it's still going. Used to love La Casa Blanca in Lakeview but that's been closed for years. Daughter always wants to eat steak or that Cork and Pig place when we hit town so I don't get as much freedom to dine as I once did.

Wexahu

Just heard the ratings were down for both playoff games. My guess is people are not interest this format where the “big names” are all that count...

Odd take. I thought the only reason ESPN "chooses" the teams they do is to drive ratings. I'm not sure how they calculate the ratings, but I'd guess a much larger factor would be not the teams themselves, but the fact that both games were essentially over by halftime.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Odd take. I thought the only reason ESPN "chooses" the teams they do is to drive ratings. I'm not sure how they calculate the ratings, but I'd guess a much larger factor would be not the teams themselves, but the fact that both games were essentially over by halftime.

I’m sure how it is an odd take. I would think any broadcaster’s job is t put on programming that is more likely to draw viewers than not. Further, ESPN put bids on the slots and not the teams for the playoffs, unlike the regular season.

The news report I heard indicated fewer people tuned in, not turned it off.

Chongo94

I've eaten many times at Armenta's and it is quite good. I still prefer Franco's (and a couple of plates at Fuentes) but haven't eaten at Franco's in years so I can only hope it's still going. Used to love La Casa Blanca in Lakeview but that's been closed for years. Daughter always wants to eat steak or that Cork and Pig place when we hit town so I don't get as much freedom to dine as I once did.

You’ll be happy to know Franco’s is still going and just as good! I alternate between it and Armenta’s on trips home. La Casa Blanca was great as well.

Cork and Pig apparently moved into an old Carino’s building. I try to avoid it when I can, you’re a good father for going though.

4th. down

This ain't 1963 and people don't hang out at the malt shoppe after the games anymore.

Really?

Obviously not, and it was the college all stars (all conf. players and all americans) vs the NFL champion so on that basis you cannot compare it to a single college team vs an NFL champion. But........the jest of the post was to show that a good collection of college talent, could, on occasion, compete with a NFL champion for ONE GAME.

Sorry you missed it.

Really?

Obviously not, and it was the college all stars (all conf. players and all americans) vs the NFL champion so on that basis you cannot compare it to a single college team vs an NFL champion. But........the jest of the post was to show that a good collection of college talent, could, on occasion, compete with a NFL champion for ONE GAME.

Sorry you missed it.

I have to say this is the most ridiculous and out of touch with reality sports argument I've ever been a part of. And I have lots of Aggie friends.

CountryFrog

And I agree. But how does that concern Notre Dame? The point seemed to be that Notre Dame is getting some sort of free pass those G5 teams wouldn't get because they are Notre Dame. And I'm saying the two situations aren't remotely similar so they shouldn't be compared. Notre Dame tests itself every year against the same good teams all P5 test themselves against. If they get beat by 30 points every year in a CFP semi-final game it shouldn't affect their playoff credentials in any other year because they don't get to the playoffs without going undefeated against a pretty solid schedule with 9-10 P5 teams.
YOU keep making it about Notre Dame. Replace Notre Dame with random PAC 12 school and I'd say the same thing. It just happens to be Notre Dame is the team with that awful run of results.

netty2424

Well, I think the odds of ND ever getting the benefit of the doubt if they are a 1-loss team have probably dwindled quite a bit, so in that respect these games have had an effect. As long as ND play a solid schedule against a 9-10 P5 opponents and go undefeated they'll be in. And as long as Boise and UCF play 2-3 P5 teams (at most) they'll need an incredible amount of luck to get in.
Not trying to create an argument here, but Notre Dame has a brand that supersedes most other programs. They’ll always get the benefit of the doubt as you described, IMO. It’s less about wins and losses as it is blue bloods and viewership. And yes, I’m aware of Notre Dames size.

Wexahu

Not trying to create an argument here, but Notre Dame has a brand that supersedes most other programs. They’ll always get the benefit of the doubt as you described, IMO. It’s less about wins and losses as it is blue bloods and viewership. And yes, I’m aware of Notre Dames size.

Fair enough, but if Notre Dame played a schedule like UCF their brand wouldn't matter. And even though they don't play a give-up FCS school like everyone else does and generally play a very competitive schedule, had they lost even 1 game this year they wouldn't have even been in the playoff consideration. I don't see how anyone could say they got the benefit of the doubt this year because they were undefeated. So I'm not sure what that brand has really done for them thus far in the CFP era.