• The KillerFrogs

2017 Hill vs 2014, 2015 Boykin and the Wild Frog Meltdown

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I would like to see Kenny keep the read option a couple more times. I recall several where the handoff went for a yard or two at best, and he handed off even when it looked like the end was collapsing and he had room. He's handing off about 90%+ of the time, feels like.

MavAlbert

Still have half the season to play. He's been great, but let's leave the in-depth comparisons to TCU legends 'til at least December.

Wexahu

I would like to see Kenny keep the read option a couple more times. I recall several where the handoff went for a yard or two at best, and he handed off even when it looked like the end was collapsing and he had room. He's handing off about 90%+ of the time, feels like.

Slightly switching gears......I'd like to see us forever scrap the wildcat stuff. I'll never be convinced, with a QB that runs as well as KH, that lining up in a formation where a pass is almost completely out of the question gives us an advantage. If we want to give it to Sewo, line up in the I formation and hand it off to him, at least the defense might think KH will keep it, or pass it out in the flat, or something. Lining up and running a play where the defense is 90% sure what is coming is dumb.

I don't care how many TDs we score out of it, we could score just as many out of regular formations. Seems like every time we run it it's a freaking battle just to get that 1 yard we need. It's gonna cost us as some point.

ifrog

Not arguing against Hill's success this season, hes been solid but I would be curious to know how Doctson's career would have gone had Hill been his QB. Hill doesnt have the deep ball ability that Boykin had.
One could argue that Boykin's deep ball ability was primarily because of Doctson. A lot of those throws he made were basically jump balls and nobody could out jump Doctson.

cdsfrog

Slightly switching gears......I'd like to see us forever scrap the wildcat stuff. I'll never be convinced, with a QB that runs as well as KH, that lining up in a formation where a pass is almost completely out of the question gives us an advantage. If we want to give it to Sewo, line up in the I formation and hand it off to him, at least the defense might think KH will keep it, or pass it out in the flat, or something. Lining up and running a play where the defense is 90% sure what is coming is dumb.

I don't care how many TDs we score out of it, we could score just as many out of regular formations. Seems like every time we run it it's a freaking battle just to get that 1 yard we need. It's gonna cost us as some point.

Disagree at goal line. That Sewo play is gold.

jake102

Completely agree. Unless we are playing the VERY long game of setting up the Sewo pop pass for a huge gain, I hate it.

Against Kansas we converted the 4th and 1 by about three inches.

FBallFan123

I think the difference between Boykin and Hill is pretty small. Boykin made more highlight reel plays for sure, but Hill is underappreciated, I know that. If we didn't have him we'd be up s--- creek.

I thought some people were too down on Hill after last season and coming into this season, but I don't know if he's still under-appreciated.

He seems to be getting a lot of positive talk from the media coverage I've seen...and deservedly so.

With that said, I think it's getting a little lost just how much Boykin had on his shoulders in 2015 (including a preseason #2 ranking and Heisman hype based off 2014).

Boykin was asked to do almost everything on that 2015 offense......and he had to win shootouts, throwing well over 50+ passes in some games, with combined rushing/passing attempts of 47 per game (and that stat is actually lower than it should be b/c Boykin was injured like the Kansas game where he only had 8 passes/2 rushes).

The TCU defense is better this season and the QB's role in the offense has since been scaled back, and I think that's part of the reason for Hill's improved play this season.

Hill hasn't thrown over 40 passes in a game this season, and his combined passing/rushing attempts per game right now is 35.

Last edited:
W

Way of the Frog

Well, for being gold, we sure make it look hard. I don't understand why we can't just hand it off to Hicks (or Sewo) out of a similar formation. i bet the results would be just as good.

I would prefer Hill under center if for nothing other than the threat of the sneak. When we are snapping the ball back to Sewo there is no mystery what is happening and leaves the offense open to the defense simply crashing down on him.

Quarterback under center not only gives the threat of the sneak if we wanted to try to beat the initial defensive surge, but also sprint and bootleg putting Hill on the edge with run/pass option.

jake102

With that said, I think it's getting a little lost just how much Boykin had on his shoulders in 2015

..and he had to win shootouts, throwing well over 50+ passes in some games, with combined rushing/passing attempts of 47 per game.

Good perspective on Boykin. If we didn't score 40+ a game, he wasn't doing his job.

Wexahu

One thing I like about it is that it is telling the defense exactly what we're doing, then we do it anyway. Got to be demoralizing.

Then why not do that on every play? When we're doing the little WR screen to Turpin, let's tell the defense exactly what's coming, then when it still works that will demoralize them. When we send Diarse or Austin deep, let's let the safeties know so when we complete the pass anyway it will demoralize them. I'm obviously being only half serious, but that's a strange way to look at it. Making something harder than it needs to be in order to demoralize the other team seems not real smart.

ifrog

One thing I like about it is that it is telling the defense exactly what we're doing, then we do it anyway. Got to be demoralizing.
That's my thought. Everyone knows what the play is going to be and Sewo gets into the end zone every damn time. I have watched some of the highlights and the blocking is just straight up nasty on that play.

Wexahu

That's my thought. Everyone knows what the play is going to be and Sewo gets into the end zone every damn time. I have watched some of the highlights and the blocking is just straight up nasty on that play.

No, he doesn't. He usually gets into the endzone eventually but it's not ever easy.

He has 3 TDs in the last three games and carried the ball 10 times for a total of 15 yards. And he had a 6-yard run against K-State and a 4-yard run against Kansas. Those clearly weren't goal line carries so take away those two carries and he has 8 carries for a grand total of 5 yards and 3 TDs. If he was scoring from 1-yard out every damn time he wouldn't have stats like that.

It's more accurate to say he has a damn hard time gaining 1 yard every time.

PO Frog

Agree, and it arguably should have already cost us twice but for favorable replay reviews. I thought Sewo fumbled at OSU and when he was jumping against WVU (?) but wasn't enough evidence to overturn either.