• The KillerFrogs

2010 or 2014 vs 2022 Georgia

Wexahu

Boykin threw for more yards and ran for more yards in 2014. Overall, his career numbers at TCU are better. If I had to chose a QB, it would be Boykin, all things being equal.

I still think our best shot was 2014 TO DATE. I don't see that 2014 squad losing to OSU 65-7.
It took him 73 more pass attempts to throw for 203 more yards, 1 more TD and 2 more INTs. Duggan's QBR was 159.2 vs Boykin's 145.9. Boykin ran for a few more yards on more carries, but Duggan ran for more TD's and I'd argue was just as effective a runner.

Now we're going to argue that Boykin was better than Duggan on every level, a few weeks after we are saying Duggan should have won the Heisman? SMH.

* If Boykin's career numbers are better, it's barely. Almost immaterial. Their numbers are about the same, and we are comparing junior year Boykin to senior year Duggan.

Wexahu

Don't get me wrong, I think the GP era was over in about 2018 or 2019 and I'm thrilled with Sonny.

However, a GP-in-his-prime defense -- like 2014 -- would have given us a much better chance at holding them in check. GP was a much better game-planner at that point than Gillespie is right now when it comes to exploiting the other team's weaknesses. And that 2014 offense had plenty of weapons. We were classic overachievers this year and that's something to be extremely proud of. That 2014 team demolished teams in the Big 12 in ways reminiscent of the OU and Texas teams that won national championships.
I don't think I totally disagree, I do think our D would have put up a better fight, but we faced one truly really good/great offense that year and gave up 61 points and 700+ yards.

That defense's strength was that it forced a ton of turnovers. At like it or not, a part of that is just good fortune. Most of the time you need a little help from the other team in getting turnovers.

Double V

The 2010 team would have been destroyed in similar fashion...The 2014 team would have at least made a game of it. Still likely an L (because we know damn well how poorly Coach P teams handled athletic tight ends) but that offense at least could have done SOMETHING. Maybe 58-14...

Eight

part of the success of the 2014 offense was a scheme defenses were struggling to adapt to and the hunh

when you consider that uga crushed the vol offense using similar tactics and comparable if not better talent there is some baseline to use as a gauge

LisaLT

It took him 73 more pass attempts to throw for 203 more yards, 1 more TD and 2 more INTs. Duggan's QBR was 159.2 vs Boykin's 145.9. Boykin ran for a few more yards on more carries, but Duggan ran for more TD's and I'd argue was just as effective a runner.

Now we're going to argue that Boykin was better than Duggan on every level, a few weeks after we are saying Duggan should have won the Heisman? SMH.

* If Boykin's career numbers are better, it's barely. Almost immaterial. Their numbers are about the same, and we are comparing junior year Boykin to senior year Duggan.
You have to look at the stats. Boykin actually ran a lot more than I even realized when I looked it up. He had 41 TD's in 2014 total. He also had more than one good year as QB, which is why I give the edge to Boykin. Max had one great season - a fantastic season it was - with an offensive minded coach and new staff. Made a world of difference.

I think the Heisman award is a joke. In retrospect, Bennett should have won the Heisman - he's 30-0 as a QB, with 2 national titles. He was flawless in the NC.

Wexahu

You have to look at the stats. Boykin actually ran a lot more than I even realized when I looked it up. He had 41 TD's in 2014 total. He also had more than one good year as QB, which is why I give the edge to Boykin. Max had one great season - a fantastic season it was - with an offensive minded coach and new staff. Made a world of difference.

I think the Heisman award is a joke. In retrospect, Bennett should have won the Heisman - he's 30-0 as a QB, with 2 national titles. He was flawless in the NC.
We are comparing the '14 team to the '22 team. There is no way Boykin was a much better QB his junior year than Duggan was his senior year. No freaking way. And I am looking at stats. Duggan's '22 stats were better than Boykin's in '14.

Again, people have fantasies about that '14 team, probably because of the last impression. Do you realize TB threw three INT's against Ole Miss? They struggled to beat Kansas. They needed 6 TO's and a last second FG to beat a pretty average WVU team. They needed a bunch of TO's and crazy [ Finebaum ] to happen to beat what ended up being a pretty average OU team. They weren't just totally invincible.

froginmn

I don't think I totally disagree, I do think our D would have put up a better fight, but we faced one truly really good/great offense that year and gave up 61 points and 700+ yards.

That defense's strength was that it forced a ton of turnovers. At like it or not, a part of that is just good fortune. Most of the time you need a little help from the other team in getting turnovers.
One "really good/great offense"?

Seriously. They were the best offense in the nation, 50 ypg better than second place and 100 ypg better than fifth place. Also 100 ypg better than this year's number one.

Wow, that's really a silly comment.

eh0215

The 2014 team would've been far more competitive than the 2022 team. This was a great year, but this team barely won games. The 2014 squad flat out murdered most of the teams we played, including what was viewed as the best defense in the SEC at the time.

Boykin's scramble around and chuck floaters to Doctson and Listenbee would've worked alot better than missing short and intermediate throws and eating sacks like Monday.

Those 3 INTs to Ole Miss, only the first one was a problem, and it didn't hurt us because the defense was much better than the 2022 defense. The second INT was a halftime hail mary situation. The third happened in the 4th quarter with us up 42-0, nobody cared.

Last edited:

texasrobster1997

Yeah. The only team in recent memory that could have challenged Georgia Monday night was maybe Joe Burrow's 2019 LSU team.

Kirby Smart was on a mission to let Saban know who the new boss is.
Ironically Ohio State 2014 would have given them a run. Similar to this Georgia team they were on a mission once playoffs started.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
After listening to Kirby Smart’s pregame screaming tirade I got the impression they were out for blood and wanted take no prisoners. I’d be curious to know if they had the same energy for tosu. It sure didn’t look the same. And I’m not trying to say it was just because it was TCU. It sounded like he wasn’t happy the way they played tosu and were out to make a statement. I don’t think we would have ever won, but I’m not sure it would have such a stampede. He seemed pissed about something.

vicarfrog

I still think this 2022 team is more like the 2017 team. I feel like they were definitely worthy of a top-10 ranking, but they over-achieved by alot! That being said, if you lined up 2022 team vs. 2017 team, 2022 would boat race them.

2010 & 2014 were teams that performed at their talent level. Either way though, none of those teams were stopping Georgia. Georgia was inspired that night.

Paint It Purple

After listening to Kirby Smart’s pregame screaming tirade I got the impression they were out for blood and wanted take no prisoners. I’d be curious to know if they had the same energy for tosu. It sure didn’t look the same. And I’m not trying to say it was just because it was TCU. It sounded like he wasn’t happy the way they played tosu and were out to make a statement. I don’t think we would have ever won, but I’m not sure it would have such a stampede. He seemed pissed about something.
Might have been a little corner of his mind that was worried shatless that this team of destiny was going to embarrass him.

HFrog1999

2014 TCU team would’ve won that game. They had murder in their hearts.

As good as this team was, they weren’t killers. Even if they lost the game, they should’ve put some hits on that old man at quarterback. If you’re gonna get beat, at least make them hurt.

AroundWorldFrog

Luckily the age limit for the Heisman is 24.

Wexahu

I still think this 2022 team is more like the 2017 team. I feel like they were definitely worthy of a top-10 ranking, but they over-achieved by alot! That being said, if you lined up 2022 team vs. 2017 team, 2022 would boat race them.

2010 & 2014 were teams that performed at their talent level. Either way though, none of those teams were stopping Georgia. Georgia was inspired that night.
I think it was case of one team being happy to be there and one team being on a mission. Not that we were going to beat them anyway, but for us it was basically a celebration just being there. I’m not criticizing that, it’s just what it was.

When you run into a team like that that is really ready to go, it’s gonna get ugly.

Love Duggan but he never went video game mode like that run Boykin had vs WVU