• The KillerFrogs

2018 Spring Football

FrogLifeYo

No reason for him to be playing anyway. He should be redshirting even if he wasn't recovering from an injury. QBs should redshirt period. If they have to play, it is a sign of other problems in your program.
Not necessarily true...Certainly there are plenty of examples of true freshman being to dynamic to keep off the field...They are rare at the QB position

ThisIsOurTime

Not necessarily true...Certainly there are plenty of examples of true freshman being to dynamic to keep off the field...They are rare at the QB position
And I will bet every single one of those players you could name would be even better prepared for college ball if they redshirted. It isn't just a question of being able to play, you have to handle everything off the field too and as a QB the workload and pressure is much more significant than other positions.

Portland Frog

This. The UG Freshman QB last year comes to mind. Rare yes. But it would have made no sense to red shirt him.

Edit: no I’m not arguing that Rogers is ready to play in 2018.

FrogLifeYo

And I will bet every single one of those players you could name would be even better prepared for college ball if they redshirted. It isn't just a question of being able to play, you have to handle everything off the field too and as a QB the workload and pressure is much more significant than other positions.

Redshirting would absolutely be best for almost all young QB’s, but it simply isn’t a reality anymore. In today’s recruiting landscape you have to give kids that the opportunity to compete for immediate playing time or they go elsewhere. While maturity is always going to be an issue, these kids come into the college game much more football smart than they ever have. Rogers may or may not be ready but if he’s healthy, he absolutely deserves to compete for the job. Rest assured it would be earned not given to him.

Lone Frog

What are the redshirt rules now?

Can JR be the backup and if he only plays a certain amount he can still redshirt?

So long as that 'certain amount' is 'not at all.'

There's been talk of altering the rule, but for now, you play one snap and that's one year of eligibility.

puckster59

If JR redshirts in 2018 as even he has said he expects to, he will have not played a live snap in almost two years when 2019 rolls around. I would think at that point, SR would have to be really stinking up the joint to lose the job. Just a hunch, but I think given the severity and timing of his injury, he's not coming in with the mindset that he either plays right away or walks. He seems like a pretty level guy, and backing up someone of SR's ability (if that ability translates to results) as a redshirt freshman isn't going to make him jump ship.

4th. down

If JR redshirts in 2018 as even he has said he expects to, he will have not played a live snap in almost two years when 2019 rolls around. I would think at that point, SR would have to be really stinking up the joint to lose the job. Just a hunch, but I think given the severity and timing of his injury, he's not coming in with the mindset that he either plays right away or walks. He seems like a pretty level guy, and backing up someone of SR's ability (if that ability translates to results) as a redshirt freshman isn't going to make him jump ship.

If he does RS then he will run the scout team and he will be in with the other QB's skull sessions with sonny, etc. Kenny did it and he seemed to work out all right.

After the lawsuit on Listenbee, don't think GP is going to push - too many eyes on him now.

ThisIsOurTime

Tua Tagovailoa and Jake Fromm say Hi.

And they both would be better and more well adjusted college athletes with a redshirt year and more important likely to have a more succesful college career? And as a program, if you are playing a true freshman, some things have gone wrong in your program with regard to quarterbacks. College coaches make these decisions from a position of weakness not a position of strength. They are eating their seed corn.

Chico Dusty

And they both would be better and more well adjusted college athletes with a redshirt year and more important likely to have a more succesful college career? And as a program, if you are playing a true freshman, some things have gone wrong in your program with regard to quarterbacks. College coaches make these decisions from a position of weakness not a position of strength. They are eating their seed corn.

I don’t know how much more well adjusted you need to be to be a play away from being National Champs...

Wexahu

If he does RS then he will run the scout team and he will be in with the other QB's skull sessions with sonny, etc. Kenny did it and he seemed to work out all right.

After the lawsuit on Listenbee, don't think GP is going to push - too many eyes on him now.

I don’t think Listenbee’s situation is going to change anything as far as who plays. We’ve never sent guys out out there who weren’t ready to play IMO.