• The KillerFrogs

Assume the Big 12 Expands to 12

HoustonVeer

Do you really think they'll stick Texas, OU, TCU, Oklahoma St, Tech (i.e. all the best football brands) in the same division?

Do you really think they'll put a collection of rag tag teams in the North with little in common historically and geographically and give them a "free shot" at the Big 12 title game?

Or

Will they move OU and OK St to the North and establish permanant rivalry games a la the SEC. This:

1. Re-establishes Big 8 rivalries between OU/OK St and Kansas, K State, Iowa St and potentially Mizzou
2. Protects the heartland in case of a SEC/Missouri invasion
3. Allows the Texas-OU loser to still win their division and make the Big 12 title game
4. Allows for a lucrative potential UT-OU rematch in the Big 12 title game
5. Balances the football brands/power between North and South

Tsfardiim

The problem with a championship game rematch is when the loser of the regular season game wind the championship game. I'm not sure if that has happened, but out send like the loser of the championship game could have a legitimate gripe, especially if the regular season game was a blow-out, and the cg was close, or if they were both close.

Opintel

Moderators
The problem with a championship game rematch is when the loser of the regular season game wind the championship game. I'm not sure if that has happened, but out send like the loser of the championship game could have a legitimate gripe, especially if the regular season game was a blow-out, and the cg was close, or if they were both close.
Teams change during the year - injuries, maturation, personnel adjustments, (in the case of too many schools, players coming off suspension :ph34r:), etc.

That is a non-event.

NewFrogFan

If we are going out west they might as well take the best program left and that is easily Boise.
You can say what you want but if they go to a big conf they will enlarge the stadium.

Anyone else on here remember when LSU played Alabama in BHam because Tuscaloosa was a small stadium compared to now???

As for the east, I loved going to games at UL, it was always a great venue and lots of fun tailgating........with UL fans I had never met!!!

As for Houston, I would rather see them over a SMU or Tulsa.

HoustonVeer

Louisville and WV would be ideal

In the North?

Why in the world would OU and Texas agree that, at most, only 1 of them gets to play for a Big 12 title every year (after all, TCU could win the South), while Louisville, West Virginia and Kansas St get a pillow fight to win the Big 12 North every year?

The divisions must be balanced. UT and OU will be in different divisions. And for OU to play Texas and OK St every year, OK St must be in OU's division. Which means OU and OK St are going North if the Big 12 expands to 12.

This is obvious to anyone who thinks about it for a minute.

So if Mizzou leaves, then 1 of West Virginia or Louisville or BYU moves into the north with OU, Ok St, K St, Kansas and Iowa St.

And 2 spots open in the South. Perhaps it's the same list of candidates for the South openings. I don't know.

BelushiBob

Fine with that too. Just stating my preference in the event of further expansion.

This. + What Im seeing is the SMU and UH fanbases trying to flesh out ideas on how they end up in the B12. We use to do it all the time. But unfortunately for them UT only want 4 Texas teams in the B12. That is from UT and did not originate from TCU fanbase, so dont say its just TCU hating SMU or UH.

B12 really is in the drivers seat here. With these 2 spots open. They dont have to take anybody and if they want they can snap their fingers and be at 12 being BYU, WVU, Louisville, Boise, or Cincy. That being said...... the wise thing is let things play out and not let fear drive the bus.

Old Indian 75

If the XII adds 2/3 teams to get to 12;i.e., UL, WVU, and/or Cinc - they've created a fairly new conference compared to the old Big XII. Who is to say they won't East & West divisions vs North & South.