• The KillerFrogs

2023-2023 CFB Transfer Portal

82 Frog Fever

I think I am leaning towards an interim QB option until HH takes over.
I have to believe for a QB transfer with only 1 year of eligibility remaining,
it would be a big advantage to transfer to a school where you are 100% familiar with the offense.
If KJ is looking to put up some big numbers for the ‘25 draft, this might be the perfect place.

McFroggin

Someone please answer me this. Why in the world would K.J. Jefferson, a dude that's been a starting QB for what feels like a decade, want to come here, where it's already been decided that Hoover is the bonafide starter? Y'all really think he would pull a Spencer Sanders? And please don't give me the "competition is good" spill. Legit starters don't need competition if they are deemed "the guy."

Because Hoover isn’t guaranteed to be the starter. We are actively searching the portal for a transfer starting QB.

82 Frog Fever

Someone please answer me this. Why in the world would K.J. Jefferson, a dude that's been a starting QB for what feels like a decade, want to come here, where it's already been decided that Hoover is the bonafide starter? Y'all really think he would pull a Spencer Sanders? And please don't give me the "competition is good" spill. Legit starters don't need competition if they are deemed "the guy."
If KJ Jefferson comes to TCU, he’s the high probability starter.

82 Frog Fever

I remember this going down way differently. Did Riley not speak out against him leaving and try to hold him at OU?
He did try to block it for quite a while, he had his panties in a bunch over OU players transferring within the B12 conference.
Specifically, Riley believed intra-conference transfers should not be immediately eligible to play. They should sit out 1 year.

Limey Frog

Why would he care if he thought he was terrible?
Because Riley sucks. This was right before the current free one-transfer portal era, when you still needed a release from your existing school and agreement of the conference to be eligible right away (or whatever the specifics were--I think it was Big 12 rules that required the school's release for intraconference transfers; SEC had the same rule). Lincoln said he didn't care if Chandler left but he objected on principle to penalty-free in-conference transfers. He didn't care about Chandler, but he did care about the precedent because maybe the next guy would actually be good enough to beat OU.

y2kFrog

Because Riley sucks. This was right before the current free one-transfer portal era, when you still needed a release from your existing school and agreement of the conference to be eligible right away (or whatever the specifics were--I think it was Big 12 rules that required the school's release for intraconference transfers; SEC had the same rule). Lincoln said he didn't care if Chandler left but he objected on principle to penalty-free in-conference transfers. He didn't care about Chandler, but he did care about the precedent because maybe the next guy would actually be good enough to beat OU.

The word on the street at the time was that he really didn’t want to lose him. Although I sure none of us will ever know.

Bruce Berry

As opposed to Jeremy Clark who said that Gillespie was staying as DC within the past 3 weeks?

Yes he did. He and another pretend analyst over there were mocking people who thought otherwise.
You can't challenge him-doesn't like it. It always ends with "I'm the useful idiot for the program, if you don't like it screw".

It was obvious Sonny had no choice.

82 Frog Fever

Yes he did. He and another pretend analyst over there were mocking people who thought otherwise.
You can't challenge him-doesn't like it. It always ends with "I'm the useful idiot for the program, if you don't like it screw".

It was obvious Sonny had no choice.
JC was also the first person I heard who went public with a 10+ win regular season prediction. Some of his stuff is pretty good, but he drinks way to much purple koolaid and it adversely effects his content.

StinnettFrog

JC was also the first person I heard who went public with a 10+ win regular season prediction. Some of his stuff is pretty good, but he drinks way to much purple koolaid and it adversely effects his content.
In his defense, the schedule and the talent this team had should have been at least an 8 or 9 win team. Colorado, West Virginia, Tech and Iowa State should all have been wins if the team played to their abilities. Whether it was coaching, bad luck or whatever this team should have won far more than it did this past year.

Limey Frog

The word on the street at the time was that he really didn’t want to lose him. Although I sure none of us will ever know.
That's possible. I don't remember reading that, but I don't have any more insider knowledge on that story than I do on anything else (i.e., none at all). I only remember the public statements from Norman being about the in-conference transfer question. Obviously if you've built a century of football success on being on the advantageous side of a massively inequitable talent gap in your conference, more liberal transfer rules are going to hurt you much more often than they'll help. As for Chandler personally, my in-laws are all Sooners and I just didn't recall any of them suggesting that they felt they were losing their "QB of the future" to TCU. They seemed fairly indifferent, and I just assumed that was filtering out from the OU football office. Fans generally tend to know who their program is counting on for the next couple of years and who it would just be nice to keep in around in case you happen to need them. They seemed to view Chandler as the latter.

Limey Frog

In his defense, the schedule and the talent this team had should have been at least an 8 or 9 win team. Colorado, West Virginia, Tech and Iowa State should all have been wins if the team played to their abilities. Whether it was coaching, bad luck or whatever this team should have won far more than it did this past year.
CU, WV, and ISU are the ones that sting in retrospect. That's an 8-4 season right there, which is all I thought we'd be capable of. CU couldn't tackle, WVU couldn't pass, and ISU couldn't sprint, yet we found ways to lose to all three. But, here we are. If Avalos turns around the defense and we bounce back next year, maybe you could say that going 5-7 was actually better than papering over some fundamental problems with a flattering record. You never want to lose games, but if losses lead to necessary reforms they can be blessing in disguise. Or they can just mean that your program is a wreck and more losses are coming...

fanatical frog

CU, WV, and ISU are the ones that sting in retrospect. That's an 8-4 season right there, which is all I thought we'd be capable of. CU couldn't tackle, WVU couldn't pass, and ISU couldn't sprint, yet we found ways to lose to all three. But, here we are. If Avalos turns around the defense and we bounce back next year, maybe you could say that going 5-7 was actually better than papering over some fundamental problems with a flattering record. You never want to lose games, but if losses lead to necessary reforms they can be blessing in disguise. Or they can just mean that your program is a wreck and more losses are coming...

In a three point loss to WVU we had two field goal attempts blocked....what are the odds ?

We had two passes intercepted around the CU goal line in a three point loss.

No reason to lose to TTech except for the fact our OC decided to "protect" our QB by telling him not to cross the LOS.

Three games right there that we coulda/shoulda won.