• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU may not care, but SMU to ACC will have major implications in DFW & nationally

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU may not care, but SMU to ACC will have major implications in DFW & nationally

By Big Steaming Pile

AP22267730260489%20(1).jpg

As the Pac-12 burned to the ground, the Big 12 had the chance to invite two of its remaining members, Stanford and California.

According to Big 12 school officials, the conference contemplated adding the two elite Bay-area schools but were met with resistance from four members, namely Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Texas Tech.

Having already added Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah to the league starting in 2024, one Big 12 official said, “There is no more money.”

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article279596899.html#storylink=cpy

Also at https://sports.yahoo.com/news/tcu-smu-splitting-smu-acc-202358713.html

Last edited:

froginmn

LOL Mac. You badly want this to happen, but it won't.

BTW - is he even an English major?

“I don’t have any clue; hard to predict the future and how that’s going to play out,” TCU football coach Sonny Dykes said regarding how SMU to the ACC will affect this rivalry. “I think it will (have an affect on recruiting). There is more change coming from a conference perspective, so I think all of this stuff is pretty temporary.”

It won't have an affect on recruiting, but it might have an effect.

Actually it will have neither...

Frog Attack II

Stupid article. It's like the media thinks nothing beyond the invite. It will only have an impact if SMU can get off their ars and commit to athletics like we have. Again, it's all about performance, not what you can buy yourself into.... think about Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, even Stanford and Cal... has it lifted them in any way? What's been the impact for them besides a bunch of bad football product? if SMU continues to under-perform, are the TV execs (or fans) gonna care about that Sat 11AM matchup with Louisville, Syracuse, or Virginia? No- you'll have the same 11K people in their stadium with limited coverage.

Limp Lizard

He is as dependable as the sunrise. Sometimes a setup with a few positive article about TCU...generally an individual. Then here comes the Mac Freight Train aimed at TCU.

Moose Stuff

Stupid article. It's like the media thinks nothing beyond the invite. It will only have an impact if SMU can get off their ars and commit to athletics like we have. Again, it's all about performance, not what you can buy yourself into.... think about Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Rutgers, even Stanford and Cal... has it lifted them in any way? What's been the impact for them besides a bunch of bad football product? if SMU continues to under-perform, are the TV execs (or fans) gonna care about that Sat 11AM matchup with Louisville, Syracuse, or Virginia? No- you'll have the same 11K people in their stadium with limited coverage.
The biggest issue SMU is facing in this attempt at relevancy is that it's not an overnight thing. It took TCU/Utah and to a lesser degree Cincy/UCF years of winning in a lesser conference and upsetting some big boys along the way to get where they are. SMU has done neither and will now attempt to win in a big boy league without having first won anywhere else. Maybe it works and it was certainly worth the attempt but it's not even remotely a given this works out like so many people are pretending it is.

Last edited:

Panther City Frog

I would tell the author of this article to eat a bag of d’s, but I almost pity him for working for such a piece of [ Finebaum ] rag that I wouldn’t wipe my ass with.

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
The Big XII is based in Dallas. 22 schools have passed through or are currently in it. None of those is SMU. That said I am happy for them and I am the guy who wants to keep playing them. They are our rival if some of us like it or not.

LVH

The biggest issue SMU is facing in this attempt at relevancy is that it's not an overnight thing. It took TCU/Utah and to a lesser degree Cincy/UCF years of winning in a lesser conference and upsetting some big boys along the way to get where they are. SMU has done neither and will now attempt to win in a big boy league without having first won anywhere else. Maybe it works and it was certainly worth the attempt but it's not even remotely a given this works out like so many people are pretending it is.
If they really had as much potential as their fans and the clueless media thinks they have, it would have manifested itself over the last 20 years during at least one season

So many think the only thing holding them back was their G5 status and now they are like a caged animal about to be unleashed. I keep saying "They were a power back when they paid players, now that its legal they will return to that!". Here's the deal, its legal for everyone else too. At the end of the day the top blue chip recruits will still choose to play in front of 100k fans in Austin or College Station or Baton Rouge or Columbus or Ann Arbor for a little less money than take whatever the SMU boosters give them and play in a high school stadium infront of a high school crowd.

DeuceBoogieNights

If they really had as much potential as their fans and the clueless media thinks they have, it would have manifested itself over the last 20 years during at least one season

So many think the only thing holding them back was their G5 status and now they are like a caged animal about to be unleashed. I keep saying "They were a power back when they paid players, now that its legal they will return to that!". Here's the deal, its legal for everyone else too. At the end of the day the top blue chip recruits will still choose to play in front of 100k fans in Austin or College Station or Baton Rouge or Columbus or Ann Arbor for a little less money than take whatever the SMU boosters give them and play in a high school stadium infront of a high school crowd.

I'm not into recruiting, but all things being equal, wouldn't a Texas kid like that his family and friends could easily attend games versus traveling to Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, etc?