• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

giphy.gif

fanatical frog

In fairness there is is real talk of 8 ACC teams leaving since that voids the GOR. The Big 10 or SEC isn’t going to take them all. There are great basketball teams in ACC and not as many great football programs. When ACC breaks up we should be looking East not west.
I think they have seven of the eight needed already. I would imagine those seven could find one more to join with them given the required incentives.

Realignment Moneyball.
Great stuff I love innovation. They could take it internationally to play teams around the world get international media dollars. Partner with NBA and othe Pro Sports leagues globally. I would watch TCU play in Greece Australia Canada anywhere. I think he is a great commissioner. Could creat entire new markets to sell college team jerseys shoe contracts etc.

Double D

Tier 1
What I've learned when this stuff happens is usually what happens is not what was originally expected. When the news finally comes out, it is always a different outcome. So the words of today are 'Stay tuned!!!'

H0RNEDFR0G

If Utah holds out, UConn in Big12?

Hear me out, what about UNLV? Vegas is becoming a huge sports market. They play at Allegiant Stadium, which Vegas can fill with comps/sports betters.

UConn is probably better in the short term, but I could see UNLV with a lot more upside.

I’d much rather go to away game in Vegas.

82 Frog Fever

I think while everyone is focused on just football building the top Basketball only conference is brilliant. A separate deal just for men’s basketball. There are tons of great basketball programs to grab that bring high value and way more games than football has. Also they don’t conflict with football season. Gonzaga, Uconn, Villanova, other Big East teams. I don’t think it has been done before.
It’s probably a good move to separate BB from FB, but nobody knows for sure.
It’s not like basketball isn’t a consideration now, so the only gain is any possible slack in the current system.
But the gain wouldn‘t be more than about $5m per team. With 14 teams $5m would be $70m per year. There is no way there is more slack than that for just regular season basketball broadcasts.
The B12 had a great March Madness with $32m, but it was still <$3m per team.

If they are added as B-ball only, without every Olympic sport there is & FB,
I am all for Gonzaga and UConn.

Last edited:

LVH

Hear me out, what about UNLV? Vegas is becoming a huge sports market. They play at Allegiant Stadium, which Vegas can fill with comps/sports betters.

UConn is probably better in the short term, but I could see UNLV with a lot more upside.

The main problem is Las Vegas is becoming a pro sports town and I am not sure even UNLV fans care about UNLV. Opposing MWC fanbases outdraw UNLV fans at the basketball conference tournament every year even though its played on UNLV's home floor.

UNLV is pretty much what UTA is - a commuter school filled with mostly locals who grew up in the area

McFroggin

No. These are basketball ONLY options. No one is paying top dollar for these schools. We need to keep our future contract $$ high.

The main problem is Las Vegas is becoming a pro sports town and I am not sure even UNLV fans care about UNLV. Opposing MWC fanbases outdraw UNLV fans at the basketball conference tournament every year even though its played on UNLV's home floor.

UNLV is pretty much what UTA is - a commuter school filled with mostly locals who grew up in the area

When they had Tarkanian and were great they packed that place. Used to be one of the hardest places to win in. That was a while ago though.