• The KillerFrogs

DMN: SMU’s Rhett Lashlee wants SMU-TCU rivalry to remain, even if college landscape changes

tcudoc

Had to double check, thought I was on a UT forum.
7t6gku.jpg

vicarfrog

A year ago I would say, “For the sake of tradition, keep it.”

Now I see that there are very few things that are fixed in this life and times change. So the question is, “Is this rivalry advantageous for the times we’re in?” I don’t see how the answer could be yes.

A&M vs. Texas? I can see that being advantageous even in the new landscape. I’d rather us put our energy into Tech and Baylor.

froginaustin

A year ago I would say, “For the sake of tradition, keep it.”

Now I see that there are very few things that are fixed in this life and times change. So the question is, “Is this rivalry advantageous for the times we’re in?” I don’t see how the answer could be yes.

A&M vs. Texas? I can see that being advantageous even in the new landscape. I’d rather us put our energy into Tech and Baylor.

I agree entirely with the Vicar's post.

I think Rhett Lashley is a smart coach and a smart football executive, and if he is jonesing for the continuation of the TCU - SMU series it must be because he sees a clear advantage for SMU in what is an increasingly zero-sum competition, college athletics in general and college football in specific. If it's good for his team/program, it ain't good for TCU's.

What little I know about the financial side of college football I've mostly learned on this forum (that's how credible I am). I suspect that in modern, post-SWC times, year-in year-out the TCU football game is SMU's most profitable athletic venture. They, or some of their alums/fans anyway, will tell you in a hurry how rich SMU is, and how that makes them better than, well, everyone else (but particularly TCU). Let them ply their riches into D1 athletics if they want to compete at that level, without leaning on a former athletic rival that's really an athletic (financial) competitor in this New World.

An-Cap Frog

would think that depends if we keep a 9-game conference schedule

really don't see a reason to do so as two 6-team divisions sets up for an 8-game conference schedule
I still like the idea that schedules are based on prior year records. So the beginning SOS is as neutral as possible. Of course you might miss a team for several years in a row.