• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Limey Frog

there is no value to playing uconn in football, they aren't notre dame which brings brand value, a home and home isn't appealing, and would rather play another p5 or a regional school

outside of basketball, what do they offer and i am not convinced the big 12 brand in basketball didn't get stronger with the addition of uh and cincy
No, but if they were subbed in for another non-conference game that would otherwise also suck it wouldn't be much of a sacrifice to get U Conn basketball.

82 Frog Fever

(Apologies for repeating some previous posts here, but...)

1. Big 12 won't add any full members that the presidents of the existing members don't want or that ESPN and Fox won't give an additional payout for at a full share, which amounts to the same thing.

2. Yormark may be flirting so hard with U Conn in an attempt to make the 'Four Corners' schools feel that their landing spot won't be there forever and they may risk ending up without a home (if that's true, it seems rather a hollow bluff; the Big XII will clearly wait as long as we need to for the Pac 12 to sort their nonsense out).

3. I could live with U Conn as a basketball-only member (perhaps alongside a few others like Creighton) and guaranteeing their football program 8 non-conference games a year. Playing U Conn in football every second year out-of-conference would be fine; being in the same league as them is a step back to our WAC/C-USA days (no thanks).
Discussions are occurring on the possibility of pro rated (less than full share) compensation coming from Fox/ESPN for adding UConn, and it’s not B-ball only.
Hopefully it wont happen, but it is not a bluff and it is gaining momentum.

Limey Frog

Discussions are occurring on the possibility of pro rated (less than full share) compensation coming from Fox/ESPN for adding UConn, and it’s not B-ball only.
That would be so dumb. You can't do unequal revenue sharing forever. You're voting a full share to U Conn football circa 2030. And for what? To be in the same league as U Conn football. Gross.

82 Frog Fever

who the heck is jim williams and scheiss no to uconn
Although Jim is quiet and reserved, his sports media credentials are some of the best. He has 7 Emmys for sports television media production over several decades with lots of friends/sources, and 2 podcasts with 60k subscribers each.
I don’t like a lot of what he says, but he is very thought provoking.
He is very pro on UConn possibilities, so somewhat irritating.

Eight

scheiss the networks, especially the mouse

the big 12 would be damn fools to trust the very network that brokered the deal to move the two biggest brands away from the big 12 and into the sec and setting off this most recent round of realignment [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]

they aren't going to offer enough money to repair the brand damage they did to the big 12 with that move and to foist uconn on the big 12 would only weaken it so once again, scheiss them

Last edited:

82 Frog Fever

That would be so dumb. You can't do unequal revenue sharing forever. You're voting a full share to U Conn football circa 2030. And for what? To be in the same league as U Conn football. Gross.
Yup, I don’t get it.
UConn athletics lost $53m last year while playing in a stadium 25 miles away with 18k average fans and the 30k student body hardly attends.
That is definitely gross.

Maybe the B12 ADs & Presidents will hold firm in saying NO!

Eight

Although Jim is quiet and reserved, his sports media credentials are some of the best. He has 7 Emmys for sports television media production over several decades with lots of friends/sources, and 2 podcasts with 60k subscribers each.
I don’t like a lot of what he says, but he is very thought provoking.
He is very pro on UConn possibilities, so somewhat irritating.

so he is a regional guy in the dc area who is throwing stuff at the wall

jack the frog

$30mm UCONN Big East buyout. I sure as hell hope the 12 is not considering a subsidy using Texas OU cash as some articles are suggesting. It's already a crummy idea.

82 Frog Fever

so he is a regional guy in the dc area who is throwing stuff at the wall
He is based in Wash. DC. In the past he served as the producer and lead director of the Big Ten Game of the Week, for both football and basketball. He’s also been a game producer/director for the SEC, Big12, & Big East
On the pro side he‘s been a game producer/director for telecasts of Major League Baseball, the NBA, NHL, & MLS.
Now he is semi-retired doing his own thing as a columnist & podcaster.

I doubt he’s just throwing stuff up. He knows too many people
On Twitter he does ask a ton of questions; then watches the responses, and adds his own take on the issue.

An-Cap Frog

Adding UConn as a "full member" is just brain damaged. I can see the addition as a basketball-only member, but Football? Baseball? Soccer? Insane...
UCONN Big XII membership ranked:

1) basketball only

2) everything but football
3) everything

Pitt would be a better all around fit.

Interesting factoid on UCF, they were DIII, DII, D-IAA, D-1A, Group of Five, and a now in a Power Five conference.

06DallasFrog

scheiss the networks, especially the mouse

the big 12 would be damn fools to trust the very network that brokered the deal to move the two biggest brands away from the big 12 and into the sec and setting off this most recent round of realignment [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ]

they aren't going to offer enough money to repair the brand damage they did to the big 12 with that move and to foist uconn on the big 12 would only weaken it so once again, scheiss them
I agree you can't trust them, but the problem is you have to deal with them for your own well being. If the hottest chick at the party goes home with whoever she wants, whenever she wants, you still hope she picks you.

OICU812

I agree with the prevailing opinion that UConn FB is putrid and no reason to expect improvements, but maybe that’s ok? Lord knows there are a crap ton of suck-o teams in B10 and it hasn’t seemed to hurt them any. No idea what BY’s long-range game is but if he wants them I think you have to trust him

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I agree with the prevailing opinion that UConn FB is putrid and no reason to expect improvements, but maybe that’s ok? Lord knows there are a crap ton of suck-o teams in B10 and it hasn’t seemed to hurt them any. No idea what BY’s long-range game is but if he wants them I think you have to trust him
I like your last sentence especially. He has earned the benefit of a doubt from me.

82 Frog Fever

Yes, this from Tramel addresses your revenue sharing mention.
I don’t see how you add a team in which so many ADs & Presidents don’t believe.

. @BerryTramel on the possibility of the #Big12 adding UConn:
"Two things, one is I will be surprised if Gonzaga / UConn are added, particularly UConn because they'd be a part of the football package. I have not found much support on the campus level for Connecticut. If the Big 12 expands with Power Five programs, like the Four Corner schools or any Pac-12 school, then the television contract is prorated and every school is still going to get paid the same amount. That is not the truth for anyone from outside of the Power Five. You're asking Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, and Baylor to take a haircut if you add UConn. You could add a diluted share in their pocket but do you want to? Connecticut football is nothing like Cincinnati, Houston, BYU, or UCF. Nothing like it. Those four schools, without Power Five resources, have built themselves up, have found a way to generate money to mostly keep up in facilitates, to be very competitive, and to make a national brand for themselves. Connecticut has not. The facilities are waning, the support is non-existent, and the brand is nothing. There is nothing to get excited about for Connecticut football. I know Brett Yormark loves basketball. The ADs, I know, don't want Connecticut. Maybe the presidents can be talked into it. And maybe Yormark has a financial for deep into the future for the addition to pay off but I'm skeptical about it. I talked to an AD and the Big 12 ADs do their research, it's not just off their head opinions. Connecticut gets about a $50 million dollar subsidy from the university at-large and the AD said all it takes is for one president to not want to do that anymore and then they're $50 million in the hole and you're stuck with them. What do you do?"