• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
If your ac and furnace units are 25 years old, Would you:

A) replace both the Cooling and heating equipment, the whole enchilada, for $6k our the door

B) replace just the cooling related elements for $3.5k, knowing that the furnace would run you another $3k when it also dies someday

Assume you can afford both, thankfully

Replace both with high-efficiency models. Save energy, save worry, increase home value.

Purp

I dropped Home Warranty policy years ago when I discovered how they screwed me out of every claim I tried to file with them, including a new air conditioner. The fine print was an eye opener, for sure.
I've heard horror stories for sure. My FiL just had a nightmare with his hot water heater last year.

My experience was great. In 3 years in the house I got a new AC, new garage door, and a new dish washer for the cost of the deductible each time. Pretty sure that was $50. I also had to buy one part for the garage that wasn't covered for $100 or so. The only thing I wanted to claim that wasn't covered was in the sprinkler system.

The company I used was called First American Home Buyers Protection if I remember correctly. It's been almost a decade since I had to use it, though. I'm getting ready to go back to them as the builder's warranty is expiring on things in our new house.

Purp

Apparently a tornado hit behind my house last night about 4-500 yards away. Daughters teacher couldn’t make it to school today bc there was too much debris from their house and uprooted trees, they couldn’t get out.

Never heard a thing. And no Code Red calls to my phone. Scary stuff.
Crazy. They cancelled all the kid's baseball games last night in advance of the storm and we hardly got any rain. It passed north and west of us. I guess it's better to be cautious, but between this event and the last one where everything shut down for imminent hail that never materialized I have a feeling we'll start seeing people ignore the severe warnings because of the missed predictions. Worse, maybe they'll be less aggressive on the warning trigger and people will get hemmed up by mother nature as a result.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
If your ac and furnace units are 25 years old, Would you:

A) replace both the Cooling and heating equipment, the whole enchilada, for $6k our the door

B) replace just the cooling related elements for $3.5k, knowing that the furnace would run you another $3k when it also dies someday

Assume you can afford both, thankfully

One more piece of advice:

Get quotes from several companies on different HVAC brands.

When I upgraded to my high-efficiency system, I landed on a deal where the factory offered a deal where you got the heating equipment free when you bought that brand's A/C system.

Also, check with you local utility companies to see if any rebates are offered for upgrading to high efficiency unit(s).

SnoSki

One more piece of advice:

Get quotes from several companies on different HVAC brands.

When I upgraded to my high-efficiency system, I landed on a deal where the factory offered a deal where you got the heating equipment free when you bought that brand's A/C system.

Also, check with you local utility companies to see if any rebates are offered for upgrading to high efficiency unit(s).
Thankfully, the unit we're replacing is 25 years old so we will see an increase in efficiency regardless. Now to figure out just *how* efficient to go.

netty2424

Crazy. They cancelled all the kid's baseball games last night in advance of the storm and we hardly got any rain. It passed north and west of us. I guess it's better to be cautious, but between this event and the last one where everything shut down for imminent hail that never materialized I have a feeling we'll start seeing people ignore the severe warnings because of the missed predictions. Worse, maybe they'll be less aggressive on the warning trigger and people will get hemmed up by mother nature as a result.
Definitely a fine line either way. Tough job being a weatherman. I’d rather be too cautious than get stuck in a hail storm or a tornado unprepared.

netty2424

Thankfully, the unit we're replacing is 25 years old so we will see an increase in efficiency regardless. Now to figure out just *how* efficient to go.
There are charts all over the www that tells you what you need based on square footage + 20% for vaulted ceilings, etc. Go too small and it runs constantly. Go too big, you’ll end up with condensation in the house which results in mold.

Mean Purple

No home warranty? A/C is still expensive with a home warranty, but it can definitely diffuse a lot of the cost. Maybe something to look into now if you don't have it. Too late for this one, but nice to have next time.
Those are ok. But they will often push for a rebuilt compressor, etc
Then they send whatever cheap contractor they find. Next thing you know you have rehab meth heads show up in a primered el camino and every neighbor suddenly supports the 2nd amendment.

Purp

Those are ok. But they will often push for a rebuilt compressor, etc
Then they send whatever cheap contractor they find. Next thing you know you have rehab meth heads show up in a primered el camino and every neighbor suddenly supports the 2nd amendment.
Liked b/c it made me laugh.

My home warranty let me chose from a few contractor options they had available. Since I didn't know one any better than the other I let them chose the one who would come out most quickly. IIRC, they also had them rated by me and any contractor used who is rated poorly doesn't get called back.

Like I said before, I've heard plenty of bad home warranty stories to justify being leery. I'm just not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water. Like with everything you buy, there are good products and bad ones. It just may not be as easy to discern a bad home warranty as it is to discern a good hamburger (Whataburger) from a bad one (In n Out).

HFrog1999

Reading that response to the problem must be frustrating for you. I would be pretty pissed off.

At least we’re getting more people involved. The Police Chief has been talking to my wife and I think she’s actually going to speak at this meeting.

Todd Hulsey is our City Councilman. He lives in our neighborhood and has been the most helpful.

You should read his bio. Interesting is an understatement

https://fbiretired.com/agent/hulsey-todd/