• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Peacefrog

Degenerate
HauntingDirtyDragon-size_restricted.gif

At least it failed on you now.

Our AC broke several years ago during August and it took 3 days to get someone out. We spent 2 nights camping in the back yard because it was too hot to sleep in the house.
There are these things called hotels...I may have the spelling wrong on that but you should check them out.

SnoSki

If your ac and furnace units are 25 years old, Would you:

A) replace both the Cooling and heating equipment, the whole enchilada, for $6k our the door

B) replace just the cooling related elements for $3.5k, knowing that the furnace would run you another $3k when it also dies someday

Assume you can afford both, thankfully

jake102

A) replace both the Cooling and heating equipment, the whole enchilada, for $6k our the door

B) replace just the cooling related elements for $3.5k, knowing that the furnace would run you another $3k when it also dies someday

How close are you to selling the house?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1

If you can afford it, why put it off?

Eight

Just got the exciting news that I have to buy a new AC for my house. Awesome.

question, does your home owner's policy have any home equipment coverage?

not home warranty, but home equipment breakdown coverage.

if the answer is yes, you might have an option. most policies will exclude replacing an air conditioner that has to be replaced if the replacement is due to rust and corrosion.

here is the loop hole, some policies will replace the unit if it isn't possible to replace the unit with an equivalent unit.

example. if you bough the house in 2010 and it was new you can't go buy an equivalent ac unit because it will not comply with the 2020 coolant requirements. a 2010 unit can't handle the pressure requirements.

it is a long shot, but if that coverage is in your policy check it out and make sure whomever you use knows it and they need to write up the estimate focusing on that issue.

if that coverage isn't talk to your agent for future instances because living in texas this won't be your last ac unit.

HFrog1999

Replace both. When we replaced our old unit the electricity savings completely offset the payments

Eight

25 years old? You’re kicking the can down the road by not doing it all now(assuming finances are not necessarily a road block). It will end up costing you more by making two projects out of it.

Thought about ductless? Europe is well ahead of our HVAC technology in the states.

how do you sweat if you have all your ducts removed?

I’d bite the bullet and do the whole schmear

jake102

Really unknown. I wouldn’t say it’s our forever home, especially with my family in Houston and hers in New Braunfels. That said we are content here and aren’t actively looking to move, even inside FW.

As others have said, do it all. If you were thinking of moving in next year I’d say kick the can