• The KillerFrogs

If I were Gary...

CountryFrog

If I was Gary then I would've never made it through all the crap that it takes to finally become a head coach. And if I did then I likely wouldn't have lasted very long under the pressures. And if I had been successful under those pressures then I probably would've retired by now with all the money I've earned because the days are way too long and life is way too short.

There are a lot of differences between us and Gary. That's why he's him and we're not. I've got my opinions and I think everyone with a brain can agree that SOMETHING has to change. I won't pretend to know what he should or shouldn't do though. Gary is used to doing things that other people think will fail and then succeeding at them.

PO Frog

I’m tired of our defensive scheme. Maybe if we played more than 2 LBs we could recruit them better. Always wondered if that scared recruits away because we haven’t had a blue chip LB in a long time. Mystery to me that Wilson can’t get any snaps on D. Has a good nose for the ball on special teams.

Mean Purple

I’m tired of our defensive scheme. Maybe if we played more than 2 LBs we could recruit them better. Always wondered if that scared recruits away because we haven’t had a blue chip LB in a long time. Mystery to me that Wilson can’t get any snaps on D. Has a good nose for the ball on special teams.
people have figured it out.

Mean Purple

If you were Lincoln Riley you would.

If you were Gary, you'd move everyone to a different position group and hope they magically figure out how to coach.

Gary's staff is an interesting case study in what happens when no one ever leaves your organization unless they get hired away on account of their ability and competence. He now appears to be a kind-hearted defensive genius surrounded by vastly less capable hangers-on.
How has he not figured out how to staff yet? It is just crazy.

Big Frog II

I wasn't upset with the defense. They were dog tired. Our offense absolutely gives them no help. Well that and the special teams giving us bad field position.

LVH

I wasn't upset with the defense. They were dog tired. Our offense absolutely gives them no help. Well that and the special teams giving us bad field position.

I'm not blaming the defense

What kept games close in 2013 was that the Big 12 outside of Baylor that year all had dumpster fire offenses. Oklahoma was using the failed Blake Bell QB experiment. WVU was awful at 4-8. Oklahoma State had an average offense. That's why our defense was able to keep us in games, opposing offenses weren't great

Offenses are so much better league wide in 2018.

Wog68

As I live a long way from Fort Worth, and am not in the know, I have always wondered why the Mule, who was a fine athlete at Decatur, was never made a safety. At 6'4" and fast, he could have been special.

BABYFACE

12 was bad, 13 bad, 16 bad, 18 bad, and he isn’t getting any younger, look it’s been a great run, he gets another year if he wants it of course, I am saying there might be someone else on the face of the planet better to lead this program into the future

That’s what they said about Tubb’s when they let him go.

In 12’ and 16’, TCU still went to bowl games. 13’ was bad but 18’ looks to worse.

Seriously, what is your perspective and expectations? I am 53 and have been watching TCU FB since I was a kid. The last 20 years have been a renaissance of TCU FB. They have made bowl games of 18 of the last 20 seasons.

I am very frustrated with this season, but who isn’t. It is easy to make knee jerk reactions in a season like this. I think a few here have unrealistic expectations, but hey, I encounter that weekly in business and with my daughters.

Always thinking the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence is most individuals downfalls. We get too caught up of making decisions or minds up in the moment instead of thinking things thru.

Just my .02.

There is a track record with GP and I've got to trust that he knows what he's doing but I just hope he hasn't let loyalty cloud his vision of what needs to be done. From my perspective, the offensive staff is just really over-matched in every measurable. Outside of Luper, who is a great recruiter, I don't think there is a single P5 team that would hire any of them. The defensive staff has really taken a step back with Glasgow coaching LB's and Gonzales coaching the safeties. The play of both units has deteriorated significantly.

There is really no reason for a college team to have two coaches coaching both the DL and receivers. We have on staff a very qualified LB coach (Cross) who is sitting behind a desk while we make room for guys like Anderson and Sharp who not a single other FBS team would try to hire away. I've been really slow to put the blame on Burns because he also has a track record but we've seen several years of bad route running and excessive drops. You can't keep doing the same things and expect different results.

It's one thing to have a down year but when you are getting dominated in every aspect of the game, it's time to face the reality that serious changes are needed.

LVH

There is a track record with GP and I've got to trust that he knows what he's doing but I just hope he hasn't let loyalty cloud his vision of what needs to be done. From my perspective, the offensive staff is just really over-matched in every measurable. Outside of Luper, who is a great recruiter, I don't think there is a single P5 team that would hire any of them. The defensive staff has really taken a step back with Glasgow coaching LB's and Gonzales coaching the safeties. The play of both units has deteriorated significantly.

There is really no reason for a college team to have two coaches coaching both the DL and receivers. We have on staff a very qualified LB coach (Cross) who is sitting behind a desk while we make room for guys like Anderson and Sharp who not a single other FBS team would try to hire away. I've been really slow to put the blame on Burns because he also has a track record but we've seen several years of bad route running and excessive drops. You can't keep doing the same things and expect different results.

It's one thing to have a down year but when you are getting dominated in every aspect of the game, it's time to face the reality that serious changes are needed.

I played for Burns. I think he is a good WR coach and motivator. He knows his football. Was OC at Cincinnati.

I bet if you asked other TCU WR alums they would also vouch for Burns.

I got heat for saying this 2 weeks ago but WR is the position that needs the least amount of coaching. At the college level as a WR you should know how to catch, get open and run routes. That's generally why every schools best recruiters are WR coaches. At the college level WR coaches still coach but it's more about explaining concepts, correcting mistakes, accountability and personal management.

Dusty

Isn't the new QB supposed to change everything?

He has been considerably better than what we had. Now that we have a decent QB, it is showing the problems with our receivers and O line. As far as I can tell, we only have two receivers on the team that can get open and still catch the ball. Reager and Barber are the only two that seem capable of actually catching the ball. That is a sad situation on our players or coaches, which ever it is, it needs to change.