• The KillerFrogs

Regarding Turpin

Zubaz

I think it was handled just fine. Everything GP has done for 20 years suggests he’s telling the truth.
I agree, I think he is telling the truth too. His track record for handling these things speaks for itself.

At the same time, somehow our staff was not aware of a DV charge dating back six months. Further, it appears they were aware that something happened in NM around the same time. So it appears that someone didn't do enough to check out what happened. That doesn't mean they lied, our staff could have made a mistake without any of them lying.

jake102

It appears that charges were filed for DV at the same time. Somehow, we weren't aware of it, and that's where the issue lies. If it wasn't that we didn't take Turpin at his word, how were we not aware of the charges?

It's my understanding we asked for the police reports. I don't know how these reports/situations go, but what are we supposed to do? I assume we called and asked for the police report for Turpin and they sent the report that listed the property damage. Should we have called back and asked them to double check that there's nothing else?

At some point you can only do so much. If we had just listened to Turpin and said "cool, don't damage property again" then that's an issue. But if we called and asked for a police report, reviewed it and made a decision, I would consider that as due diligence. I guess in the future we will have to harass police stations to triple check there's nothing else.

H0RNEDFR0G

How many players are on the football team, and coach is supposed to know what they all do, wherever they do it? Bite me.

I don't think we should have to run 50 state background checks on current players after they pass the recruiting background test. But the article alleges that coaches knew about the March incident a month ago. KT25 "lied to us" is an excuse that's just not going to fly. Once coaches know about an incident, they should look into it. Being lied to is not an excuse. There are facts, they are knowable. In this case, it wouldn't have even required resources, you can find the information showing arrest for domestic battery with a google search.

It's on KT to tell the coaches about the incident in March. If you get arrested and don't immediately come clean, that should be grounds to kick them off the team immediately. This stuff coming out in hindsight is a bad look for the university, it reeks of cover-up. I don't believe that's what happened here. Outside of TCU, NO ONE will give us the benefit of the doubt.

Wexahu

It is what it is, need to move on. Regardless of what happened or the seriousness of the charge, there's little doubt in my mind that keeping the kid playing football was a priority. It's what happens in college football when really talented players are involved. At times I'm sure not a lot of research is done almost on purpose because coaches are afraid of what they might find.

robbroyy

Shouldn't we have followed up on whether he took care of the charge?
GP said a lot of the time it’s just a fine.

So in defense of GP it’s not TCUs problem if the kid owes money.

Had the staff known there was more it would have been handled.

Given how many times the team had suspended him for grades why would someone think they’d let this slide?

Moose Stuff

I don't think we should have to run 50 state background checks on current players after they pass the recruiting background test. But the article alleges that coaches knew about the March incident a month ago. KT25 "lied to us" is an excuse that's just not going to fly. Once coaches know about an incident, they should look into it. Being lied to is not an excuse. There are facts, they are knowable. In this case, it wouldn't have even required resources, you can find the information showing arrest for domestic battery with a google search.

It's on KT to tell the coaches about the incident in March. If you get arrested and don't immediately come clean, that should be grounds to kick them off the team immediately. This stuff coming out in hindsight is a bad look for the university, it reeks of cover-up. I don't believe that's what happened here. Outside of TCU, NO ONE will give us the benefit of the doubt.

I don’t think for one second GP handled this inappropriately and I don’t care what anyone else outside the program thinks.