• The KillerFrogs

Meaningless Week 8 Bowl Projections

TCUdirtbag

DISCLAIMER: doesn’t matter, etc., etc., beat KU, yadayada. here they are anyway:

ESPN: Rose (CFP) vs. Penn St (Jan 1)
Bleacher Report: Sugar (CFP) vs. Alabama (Jan 1)
Sporting News: Rose (CFP) vs. Penn St (Jan 1)
DieHards: Peach (NY6) vs. UCF (Jan 1)
CBS: Peach (NY6) vs. USF (Jan 1)
SB Nation: Cotton (NY6) vs. Washington (Dec 29)

A note on CBS. Jerry Palm does their selections and has been consistently low on the Frogs. He may be right, who knows, but he typically pegs us one level down from the consensus. He’s also high on tOSU. Right now he has (1) Alabama, (2) Ohio St, (3) Penn St, (4) Clemson. And a general note: everyone is still high on Clemson and Ohio State. They’re still in a lot of playoff projections. I get Clemson - they have 2 top 25 wins. But they did lose to Syracuse. That’s as bad or worse than OU losing to Iowa State (speaking of, SBN has OU, Clemson and Ohio State in the Playoff). Finally, DieHards’ projections probably don’t work. They have Alabama in at 1 and Georgia in at 3. This seems to assume Bama beats Georgia in the SEC Championship. Probably. But they only have 1 Big 12 team in a NY6 bowl, TCU. That would mean TCU got the guaranteed spot as Big 12 champion. So they’re either projecting a 2-loss Big 12 champ TCU or that we win the Big 12 Title as a 1-loss Team but Georgia still beats us into the playoff and the committee further flips us the bird by sending us to Atlanta to play the group of 5 team . Not impossible, but seems very unlikely, IMO.

Boomhauer

Jerry Palm is a spare. The guy got famous as a BCS formula "guru." That was based on his math skills, not his football analysis.

I forget who ESPN's equivalent was, but that guy was given less and less air time in the past few years. CBS needs to do the same with Palm.

Brad Edwards. Did he get canned?

And Jerry Palm has been down on us for decades. I remember him being against us even moreso than other media back in the 2000 and 2003 seasons. I remember some of those radio segments he did and thinking man, did a frog steal his girlfriend or what

Last edited:

West Coast Johnny

A note on CBS. Jerry Palm does their selections and has been consistently low on the Frogs. He may be right, who knows, but he typically pegs us one level down from the consensus. He’s also high on tOSU. Right now he has (1) Alabama, (2) Ohio St, (3) Penn St, (4) Clemson.
About Palm in particular and projections in general... Is Palm saying right now that is how he would vote? Or is he projecting the rest of the regular season and that is who will be the top four at the end?

MAcFroggy

Brad Edwards. Did he get canned?

And Jerry Palm has been down on us for decades. I remember him being against us even moreso than other media back in the 2000 and 2003 seasons. I remember some of those radio segments he did and thinking man, did a frog steal his girlfriend or what

Yeah, it appears that Heath Dinich has replaced Brad Edwards. She is there CFP "expert" just like Edwards used to be the BCS "expert".

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs
I predict Palm will look foolish by the end of the season.
The most sure path to an extended playoff is to have a B1G/SECSECSEC playoff. Leaving out 3 of the P5 conferences is almost as foolish as a MNC game which is just a rematch of the SECSECSEC west top teams. No one outside the footprint of those conferences wants to see it, and no one will watch it.

Which is why, if TCU doesn’t run the table and get in, I want to see that ridiculous matchup.

FBallFan123

Specific projections don't mean much this far out.

My main takeaway from last weekend is this:

Pac 12 now has a much narrower path to get into the playoff....or get more than 1 team in a NY6 bowl.

The Big 12 still has a reasonably good shot to get into the playoff....and get 2 teams in NY6 bowls.

SEC, Big Ten, ACC still getting lots of love.

Gonna need chaos to keep any of those conferences from getting into playoff and from getting 2 teams in NY6 bowls.

Spike

Seems like it's almost better to lose a meaningless game then to lose head to head w/ someone else who belongs in playoff. We just need to beat OU. Probably twice.

Probably best if Bama just destroys everything in their path. Maybe a UGA loss somewhere else too.

dkfrog

Seems like it's almost better to lose a meaningless game then to lose head to head w/ someone else who belongs in playoff. We just need to beat OU. Probably twice.

Probably best if Bama just destroys everything in their path. Maybe a UGA loss somewhere else too.

Losing to a good team removes a chance for a quality win while losing to a bad team does not.

Wexahu

Losing to a good team removes a chance for a quality win while losing to a bad team does not.

More importantly, it elevates the team you lost to and its really hard to get that back because that team always has the HTH advantage.

Option A: Beat an average team, lose to a good team
Option B: Lose to an average team, beat a good team

Pick Option B every time.

Boomhauer

Not only that, but it elevates the team you lost to.

Option A: Beat an average team, lose to a good team
Option B: Lose to an average team, beat a good team

Pick Option B every time.

Agree with this although KU isn't an average team so not sure anyone that loses to KU can make the CFP