• The KillerFrogs

Were our fans spoiled by the Mountain West

First Tee Frog

No, not really, just putting things into perspective. We have what looks like one really really good win, a win over a team we were favored by almost two TDs in, a win over what has turned out to be a bad Arkansas team, a win over SMU where we were favored by 20, and a win over JSU.

That might be tough relative to other teams schedules, but it kind of remains to be seen depending on how the teams we’ve played finish out the year. I do know that if Arkansas isn’t terrible or awful this year, a lot of those teams FSU played in 2014 weren’t either.

Florida beat one decent team and got will muschamp fired. My wife is a gator and I had to sit through watching some bad football the last few years. They were terrible. Notre dame was very mediocre that year.

I said somewhere that we would need to see how this season plays out before we can judge our wins. Right now I would say we have 2 quality wins. Arkansas was a big win for us momentum wise but they are not a very good team and seem to have quit on BB.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
The OP posits that after SIX years of B-12 status we let our MWC memories dictate our restlessness with less than juggernaut victories. I call BS. Memories of our 2010 and 2014 teams are what raised my expectations. I posted that my hopes were admittedly unrealistic, entitled: I am The Problem.

When we were a walking-wounded ward in 2015, that misfortune dashed hopes for an even better record that the year before. That GP had only one loss more, testifies to what I feel was his best year's coaching ever. The playing of all those RS and true freshmen seemed to foretell a silver lining for 2016.

I hope never to experience another GP coached defensive squad that could not wrap up tackle after tackle. I simply would not have foreseen such a sight.
I had hoped for at least competence on that side of the ball. It was not to be.
Well...I ceased being the problem, readjusted my expectations, and resolved to take whatever may come.

I must admit, that for 2017, I'm becoming just a little bit problematical since our O is tested and found to be highly efficient, and we now have an Aggressive Typical, By God, GP Defense. We'll see how far that combination takes us, but I see shades of 2010 and 2014 in this team. My hope lies in Coach P...why not 15-0? If not now, When?

FrogLifeYo

I think in our first 5 seasons in the Big12 we are 25-20..In the last 3 seasons we are 19-8. Success breeds high expectations. We aren't spoiled, we are sophisticated. We know that a National Championship is within the realm of possibility for our program

Pharm Frog

Kinda lost track of the thread but I would like to see more of a "step on the throat" approach when the opportunity presents itself so we can rest some starters and get some young-un's some decent game experience. And despite playing better quality opponents than we would see in the MWC I believe we've had the opportunity to do just that on many occasions but really haven't taken advantage of those opportunities. Sometimes its been a rest-on-the-lead offensive approach and sometimes its been a different defensive approach but it just doesn't seem like we're all in for the kill when the opponent is simply over-matched or wounded. And, yes, I realize that this is more easily written than done and these are D1 scholarship athletes on the other sidelines and they aren't gonna just roll over and blah blah blah. That's why I want more of killer approach earlier.

But I'll still take the wins however they come although I predict we're gonna lose this weekend.

CountryFrog

We've got one person who is looking at everything from the most negative view point possible. Another person is telling us that our schedule is nothing impressive, and at the same time comparing us to a 13-0 team from 3 years ago who he says actually had a more difficult schedule than a lot of people realize. Both people think that we should watch out because we're starting to look like a team that went 13-0 as if that's a BAD thing.

So in conclusion, no, nothing that happened in the Mountain West effects the way I look at this year's team.

BleedNPurple

Financially there is no comparison. BYU, Utah and maybe a couple of others could play with the B12. Mountain West days were the right transisition into where we are now. It's been an adjustment for us but most of the Big 12 has been excellent. We are just where we belong! Mountain West gave us lots of opportunities to prove ourselves as BCS worthy. Rose Bowl was the capper! You can look back after you retire but for right now it's #eyesupkeepclimbing

Horny4TCU

Shultz kept us back for way too long...

But seriously not spoiled by MWC years. Spoiled by Boykin and Dalton years. Dalton could tear a team up when things were clicking. Then we can all recall Boykin's awesome sauce.

NNM

I can eat 50 eggs

But seriously not spoiled by MWC years. Spoiled by Boykin and Dalton years. Dalton could tear a team up when things were clicking. Then we can all recall Boykin's awesome sauce.

Those Boykin teams sucked. They didn’t RTDB every damn play. Clearly terrible OCs.

TCURiggs

I like to read our messages boards because they're a great resource for good info, but I also hate to read our message boards because I often find the ridiculous/troll-types who just like to be completely negative and unrealistic. This thread is a good example of the latter.

CountryFrog

Complaining about people complaining just feels like more complaining to me.
Would you recommend complimenting them? Kill the negativity with kindness?

I see your negative post today sir (or madame) and just wanted to say that your sentence structure and grammar are outstanding. Keep up the good posts and don't let anyone tell you that you're anything other than the most realistic fan on this planet. Have a great day!

Frogcrates

The old, old, old board database is still lurking around here somewhere, but you don't want to open that can of worms.

Let's just say Shultz, short-side option, BCS sucks, and sprinkle a few gripes about baseball, Bring Back Tubbs threads, and general complains about the AD pretty much sums it up.
Don't forget that lengthy and bitter argument over whether that new kid from Katy ought to be the starter over Marcus Jackson.

Long Time Lurker

Fixed. Boykin would have had almost as terrible a 2016 if he was still around with those WRs. Having a first round talent bailed him out and made the entire team better.

I have to disagree. It is a bit of chicken v egg argument though. Yes, Doctson was amazing, but if Boykin isn’t a special talent at evasion with a great arm, he is sacked before he can get the ball to Doctson. I will concede...Boykin isn’t considered other worldly amazing without Doctson. It is very similiar to Johnny Tool Bag and Mike Evans.

Wexahu

I have to disagree. It is a bit of chicken v egg argument though. Yes, Doctson was amazing, but if Boykin isn’t a special talent at evasion with a great arm, he is sacked before he can get the ball to Doctson. I will concede...Boykin isn’t considered other worldly amazing without Doctson. It is very similiar to Johnny Tool Bag and Mike Evans.

That last sentence is right on the mark in my opinion. Both were good QBs, but having the elite WR they could more or less just throw it up to and get great results made them seem better than they probably were.

ifrog

People on these boards thought that both Dalton and Boykin sucked at different times. Heck I recall some on here (that still post) wanted Boykin to play WR because he threw off his back foot. Joeckel was going to solve all of our problems!

Last edited:

puckster59

Real easy solution for the most dissatisfied here. Form a committee and approach CGP and suggest strongly that he adopt a game plan with the correct players to win every game by 50 with at least 500 total yards and less than 200 allowed. Inform him that we will no longer accept this complete mediocrity!!

OmniscienceFrog

The old, old, old board database is still lurking around here somewhere, but you don't want to open that can of worms.

Let's just say Shultz, short-side option, BCS sucks, and sprinkle a few gripes about baseball, Bring Back Tubbs threads, and general complains about the AD pretty much sums it up.
All pretty legit! Bring it on! :p