• The KillerFrogs

Will Patterson keep defense "simple"

robbroyy

one thing that worries me for high powered offenses is Patterson's history to complicate the defense by trying to find the perfect answer.

Seems a lot of times he's taken the blame in these games by saying he's confused his own defense.

Will that be a problem tomorrow?

f_399

I somehow feel better when someone scores easily early.

Seems like Patterson uses those to feel out the game plan then locks it down.

Not sure we can afford to do that against OSU. I would almost want to choose to be on offense first if we win the toss.

Tumbleweed

Good question. You can count on Gary doing something. We as fans won't recognize it but their QB and coach's will.

Would love to be a fly on the wall at tonight's defense test.

Wexahu

I somehow feel better when someone scores easily early.

Seems like Patterson uses those to feel out the game plan then locks it down.

Not sure we can afford to do that against OSU. I would almost want to choose to be on offense first if we win the toss.

Oddly enough, I think OSU getting the ball first and scoring very easily could be the best thing that could happen to us. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a hundred times, home team all jacked up (and maybe a little overconfident) for a big game gets off to a fast start, thinks it's gonna be a cakewalk, loses their edge a bit, and never gets it back.

The Maryland-Texas game this year I think was a perfect example of that. Texas thought they were gonna blow em out, scored a minute into the game on a pick 6, and pretty much played like crap the rest of the game. Because I think Maryland hit back, and they weren't expecting it or ready for it. That first TD was just too easy.

Limp Lizard

Against a team like OSU, if you stay too basic you will get picked apart. Probably will have to adjust the calls depending on how experienced the players are.
As far as falling behind early, that is the norm for a GP defense. If they can hold OSU to 10 points in the first 3 possessions we have a chance to do pretty well.

FrogLifeYo

Our 3 safety system is beastly when it's clicking. Unfortunately it's really hard to teach and master. It's the root of everything GP does defensively.

FrogCop19

This is one thing that has always concerned me with GP defenses. We are, for all intents and purposes, a 2nd half team. There are of course plenty of exceptions to this statement, but quite frequently we get down early (or at least stay close), then after half when GP has been able to work his magic, we wear them down and make the near-perfect adjustments to the opponent to pull out a win. It has also gotten us in trouble many times, where we make great adjustments at the half, but we've already dug ourselves a hole too big to climb out of. That is one of the things we were knocked on before we came to the B12, because in this conference, it's difficult to come back when the high-scoring offenses have you in a 30-point deficit**.

**Yes, I know, Oregon says "hi", but like I said, there are plenty of exceptions to the rule.

SuperTFrog

Oddly enough, I think OSU getting the ball first and scoring very easily could be the best thing that could happen to us. If I've seen it once, I've seen it a hundred times, home team all jacked up (and maybe a little overconfident) for a big game gets off to a fast start, thinks it's gonna be a cakewalk, loses their edge a bit, and never gets it back.

The Maryland-Texas game this year I think was a perfect example of that. Texas thought they were gonna blow em out, scored a minute into the game on a pick 6, and pretty much played like crap the rest of the game. Because I think Maryland hit back, and they weren't expecting it or ready for it. That first TD was just too easy.
Baylor scored on their first play against us and then we beat them by 40 last year. We should do that against OSU.

Dogfrog

SMU got well behind our secondary on their first TD and their last TD. There were a couple plays in between where they got behind us but didn't make the play. Hope our guys keep everything in front of them this week, but still able to react aggressively. It's a tough job.

ThisIsOurTime

Most of the high speed offenses go hurry up to where it forces the defense into a base set. Our defense is no different. TCU will do things to try to prevent this like send in signals at the last possible moment but the good offenses will cause a defense to go simple. The offenses want it this way because they can isolate in the areas where they have numbers or the matchups they want.

Tomorrow will come down to players making plays and forcing/lulling the offense into making some mistakes. Let's hope their players are a little off and some of our players keep on improving. Hoping our players rise to the challenge and get after it all 4 quarters. I don't care so much about winning or losing as I do seeing our team continues to improve against a quality opponent. I know we are going to be good by year end just not sure how long it will take to get to that point.

matmoo123

No matter what happens tomorrow, it will never be near that sinking feeling I had after Wisconsin’s first offensive play at the Rose Bowl, or halftime at the Alamo Bowl. We won’t go down easy!

finafrog

patterson repeatedly put our corners on islands with no safety help vs baylor in 2014, and it sort of worked for a while until it did not. there was a lot of speculation what he'd do vs west virginia. first defensive look -- two safeties high.

i think he'll do the latter tomorrow, at least initially, and make them earn every yard.

Tumbleweed

Mike Gundy is a gagey son-of-a-gun. He could very likely show one strategy for the first series then change it on the second series. Guarantee this is going to be fun to watch b/c both coach's are above average. I know they do respect one another a lot.

As a fan and not seeing the whole field we most likely won't have a clue whats going on and have a rely on the color guy to help us out.