• The KillerFrogs

TCU drops new logo!

cdsfrog

Someone like you will think any new logo is "fail."

If you are going to insult me, at least be right about it. I have made numerous posts stating if a new logo was created that didnt suck I would be all for it. You clearly know nothing about me and haven't read anything in this thread.

ShivasFrog

The lone arched TCU is our only hope for building a long term sustainable brand.

I agree with this.

Our little lizard mascot is just hard to depict in logo form. The various options range from looking like a cartoon/caricature to some weird abstraction, none of which work that well on the side of a helmet.

Plus, there's no better time to address the logo issue than right before joining a new conference, regardless of past results with the status quo.

Tsfardiim

Haven't Commented on this, as I don't have a problem with the current logo, and of the opinion that we will get used to any new logo, but I think the academic logo, or a variation would look good on a helmet, and don't understand why we would want different logos for athletics and academics, anyway.

YCBJ Frog

You have to know where you have been to know where you are headed.

Flying T, FTW?

Or maybe we should go back to the cTu logo--that way we can as closely emulate the team we are replacing in the Big XII as possible.

I think the plain arches TCU has some staying power and could be our logo going forward. I've always been partial to this one:

TCU-Horned%20Frogs.jpg

Except make the frog a little smaller rotate it so that his right hind foot is where his L front one is presently, to match up the curves and make it a more compact logo.

Stiff Arm Frog

[The lone arched TCUI] represents the era were TCU was a laugh stocking program wise......no thanks personally.

I'm not sure your aversion to the lone arched TCU is warranted. Yeah, we went 24-42-1 under Sullivan. But Sullivan's tenure also marks the point at which TCU started to turn things around.

When Sullivan was brought in in 1992, one of the first things he wanted to do was create a new culture. TCU had worn the Flying TCU from 1977-1991, and been absolutely awful while wearing them. Sullivan's idea behind a new look was to reverse the expectation of losing. Here's what we wore in his first year:

tcu3.gif

This was the first time the arched TCU logo appeared anywhere. But we only wore this helmet for one year.

In 1993 and 1994, Sullivan changed the helmet to more closely resemble the Dallas Cowboys', which he hoped people would associate with their recent Super Bowl success:

TCU_93.jpg

Now obviously, the Frogs in these helmets weren't the Frogs of today. But neither were they the Frogs of the previous 20 or 30 years. Sullivan gets a lot of heat, but he did a few things right. First he gave us the new logo, which TCU uses everywhere, even on its buildings. The logo looks great, it's here to stay, and we can thank Sullivan for that.

He also immediately raised the profile of the team, despite having almost nothing to work with. In his first year he went 2-8-1, but one of those wins was against Texas, 23-14. He did an even better job 1994, his second year, when he led TCU to 7-5 record and a share of the Southwest Conference championship. Five-way-tie or no, it was the first time TCU had won it's conference since 1959. That 35 years, so let's give the man a little credit where credit is due.

That turnaround, I would say, should be associated with the above helmets and the introduction of the new logo.

But in 1995 he changed the helmet again, to this monstrosity:

tcu_97.gif

This is the helmet we were wearing when we really stank it up. Under this helmet we went 6-5 in 1995; 4-7 in 1996; and 1-10 in 1997, the season that cost Sullivan his job, and rightfully so. But Sullivan did one other great thing for TCU before he left, and that was to recruit LaDainian Tomlinson. For his first season, LT wore the above helmet.

In 1998 we hired Dennis Franchione, who immediately changed to this look, the one we all know and love:

31rYIyeWb9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This helmet has been the longest continually used helmet in TCU's history. It was used from 1998-2010, with only 3 interruptions (the Nike helmets).

That, really, is the history of the current TCU helmet. Way I see it, Pat Sullivan's tenure marked the beginning of the TCU renaissance, and that includes the helmet we've worn under Patterson.

YCBJ Frog

This may be an iPhone thing, but I can only see your last image. That looks to be a solid and informative post, so I'm getting on my laptop.

YA

I trust whatever the administration does with the logo. I like change but don't need to change for the sake of changes sake.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Maybe our Frog is cartoonish like the Florida gator? Another national contender. Maybe the state of Florida deserves better but I guess they'll stick with what works.
<BR><BR>The only problem I see with your arguement is that their logo, although a cartoonish depiction, still appears to be reptillian. Not much question that it is an alligator. <BR><BR>I got moved up here to Big 10 country where people have no clue what a Horned Frog is and assume from our logo that it is something that comes from tadpoles and swims in a pond.<BR><BR>I've seen people complain about some of the new renditions appearing to be more dinosaur like. Well, the Horned Lizard is likely much more closely related to that than a webbed footed bullfrog that swims in the Worth Hills pond. I just wish we'd come up with something that appears to be what it is, a reptile. <BR><BR>That fat thing on our helmets is so amphibian looking that appears to be nothing related to what it is supposed to be. Perhaps a good artist could do somthing minor to it to make it more reptillian looking and thus make everyone happy. But I have to tell you, people outside of Texas think that thing is a friggin bullfrog and ask why we have a frog on our helmets if it is a lizard. Just for the record, I kind of like the new rendition, but opinions are like butts. Everyone has one and they are all different. <BR><BR>And the ludicrous argument that these helmets have "won" x games has got to be dropped. If that is the case it has also lost big games. It has lost to to Air Force on a field goal, it lost to Utah in the closing seconds and lost to OU in its debut. For that matter different logos have won big games, such as Oregon State in the Jerry Dome, Utah at home with the biggest crowd in the history of ACS and an altered one at the Rose Bowl. So the sanctity of the fat frog logo is just so much hot air. It is GP and the people inside those helmets that win or lose games.

tcuhf93

http://www.iphone4-wallpapers.org/wallpapers/Sports/TCU-Horned%20Frogs.jpg[/img]

Except make the frog a little smaller rotate it so that his right hind foot is where his L front one is presently, to match up the curves and make it a more compact logo.

This has always been my favorite as well. Love the frog logo, because it can't be mistaken for anything else. No teeth, no red eyes, just a great symbol of "who we are and where we come from".

The Varsity had a great T-shirt last season with this logo. It became my go-to shirt for home games. If they put this on a golf shirt, I would definitely buy it.

Stiff Arm Frog

Sorry for the broken images -- I got those pictures off this website, but it looks like the image hosting site they used removes access when they're linked somewhere. My bad. Still an informative site:
http://swchelmets.tripod.com/tcu.html

I have replaced them with photos from this site, which has pictures of some of the actual helmets worn over the years:
http://www.helmet-co...CONusa/TCU.html

You can also check out this site, which just has computer creations, but represents an almost complete history of the TCU helmet (they are missing 1965, a beautiful helmet, but they have it in the above site), at least since 1946 when we switched from leather to plastic:
http://www.mghelmets...rned-frogs.html

Hope that helps.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.iphone4-wallpapers.org/wallpapers/Sports/TCU-Horned%20Frogs.jpg[/img]

I like that one too and already have the T-shirt. Plus, you can bring back the triangles on the collar and arm sleeves since this logo is style is where they came from.

Deep Purple

Yeah, we went 24-42-1 under Sullivan. But Sullivan's tenure also marks the point at which TCU started to turn things around.
[...]
Way I see it, Pat Sullivan's tenure marked the beginning of the TCU renaissance, and that includes the helmet we've worn under Patterson.
Major revisionism. There was no turnaround under Sullivan. Our season records under Sully:

1992: 2-8-1
1993: 4-7
1994: 6-5
1995: 7-6
1996: 4-7
1997: 1-10

Compare to how we did under Wacker:

1983: 1-8-2
1984: 8-4
1985: 3-8
1986: 3-8
1987: 5-6
1988: 4-7
1989: 4-7
1990: 5-6
1991: 7-4

Life under Wacker: 2 winning seasons, 1 bowl game, 1 bowl loss
Life under Sullivan: 2 winning seasons, 1 bowl game, 1 bowl loss

Where's the turnaround?

The TCU Football Turnaround began under Franchione.