• The KillerFrogs

New East Side rendition photos

cdsfrog

It looks incomplete. That's my thought. And kind of odd with the bottom side of the bleachers exposed above the facade.

Seems a shame to spend so much money only to end up with an ugly product.

Ugly product.....really?

If that product is ugly, then Amon Carter 2010 is hideous. I am the king of hyperbole but that is just ridiculous.

Is it perfect? Of course not, no stadium is but I bet our stadium will stack up with some of the best in all of FBS from an amenities/appearance standpoint. If we can keep the fans in their damn seats, and pack the stadium every game, Amon Carter could become a stadium people travel to see. (Great example is Autzen Stadium)

ShivasFrog

It looks great from inside, truly an impressive venue.

But from the outside it still looks like bleachers set on steel beams, surrounded by a partial brick wall.

Probably it looks better in person than it does via Internet graphics, but so far I'm unimpressed by the way it looks from outside the east or west entrances.

It looks incomplete. That's my thought. And kind of odd with the bottom side of the bleachers exposed above the facade.

Seems a shame to spend so much money only to end up with an ugly product.

I don't know how accurate the east side renditions are, but if they finish out the east side like they're doing the west side (and why wouldn't they), you won't have to be concerned about it looking like bleachers or looking incomplete or ugly. I've watched the progress on the west side over the course of the season and the details of the finish-out are just now starting to be applied. Seems reasonable that the east will get the same treatment.

This new stadium is going to look great and the farthest thing from the bleacher/brick facade/erector set look of a certain stadium in Dallas.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
havent seen these... thanks!

am I the only one that thinks the side that faces out where everyone can see should be at least a little fancier. I mean they're completely rebuilding it... might as well go all out as much as money will allow.

There is beauty in simplicity, young grasshopper

Stiff Arm Frog

I am less concerned with overall design than I am with execution. The architects did a fine job -- we can debate the minor points, but that's all a matter of opinion -- but the contractors have been awful. Most of the work that has been done on the stadium has been very sloppy, ruining the overall effect.

A lot of shoddy worksmanship has gone into this stadium, which I assume was a money-saving decision by TCU. The result will be a stadium with a lot of unfulfilled potential.

Many thanks to the OP for the new pictures.

fanatical frog

I don't know how accurate the east side renditions are, but if they finish out the east side like they're doing the west side (and why wouldn't they), you won't have to be concerned about it looking like bleachers or looking incomplete or ugly. I've watched the progress on the west side over the course of the season and the details of the finish-out are just now starting to be applied. Seems reasonable that the east will get the same treatment.

This new stadium is going to look great and the farthest thing from the bleacher/brick facade/erector set look of a certain stadium in Dallas.

I hope so.

The stadium will look incredible on the inside and will obviously provide greater creature comforts; convenience and great sight lines. It would be a shame if the outside of the stadium is less impressive than the inside.

Big Frog II

I think it looks great. I guess for another billion we could make it look like Jerry's World. Regardless, it will be a great stadium to play our games. I believe all of the college football world will give this "new" stadium high ratings.

There is one thing that does still bother me, and that is one of the light standards on the westside. Did the architect have one too many that night before drawing it in?

You do realize that's what the 3rd deck on the west side looks like, right?

There is one thing that does still bother me, and that is one of the light standards on the westside. Did the architect have one too many that night before drawing it in?

That bugs me to no end. Every time I'm at the game or drive by the stadium I cankt help but notice wth they're thinking. The lights furthest north looks like they need to be moved down one post.

stell91

-- but the contractors have been awful. Most of the work that has been done on the stadium has been very sloppy, ruining the overall effect.

A lot of shoddy worksmanship has gone into this stadium, which I assume was a money-saving decision by TCU. The result will be a stadium with a lot of unfulfilled potential.

Please explain. What shoddy workmanship are you referring to?

You do realize that's what the 3rd deck on the west side looks like, right?

That bugs me to no end. Every time I'm at the game or drive by the stadium I cankt help but notice wth they're thinking. The lights furthest north looks like they need to be moved down one post.

It bugs me too -- someone here once said that it's the visual equivalent of running with a small pebble in my shoe -- there's many different ways they could have made them look symmetrical and I'm very curious as to why they didn't.

I like the East side though I am not impressed. It's certainly better than what held its' place prior but it is also very basic.

Armadillo

am I the only one that thinks the side that faces out where everyone can see should be at least a little fancier. I mean they're completely rebuilding it... might as well go all out as much as money will allow.
Sometimes I really wish you would THINK before speaking, or writing in this case.

You do realize these are simply ARCHITECTURAL RENDITIONS, right? They are meant to accentuate the structure, not the landscape, not the decor. All this does is highlight the building, not the finished product. Big difference. :wacko:

tcumaniac

It almost looks as if they're tearing down the old east side to rebuild a new east side that looks almost exactly the same...

Endless Purple

I think the stadium is looking great. One little thing that I would like to see is for the brick work here to go up another 10-15 ft. No need to look at the underside of the seating if if you could make it that much more impressive by extending the wall up.

Only reason I can think of for not doing it is if it would interfere with possible expansion of another deck on the east side. Even then, I think the size of the stadium should be fine for sometime.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7640/68475125.jpg[/img]
That could make a decent backdrop for College GameDay (OU @ TCU).

I have to agree with the comment about making the brick wall another 10-15 feet higher though. The brick is what sets this stadium apart. Camden didn't spare any money on bricks.

However, this stadium is awesome. And we sound like some spoiled fans.

While we're whining about the stadium though, I really hope they figure out the sound system. Turn down the speakers, or else you're going to be looking at an empty endzone upper deck during extra points. And cover them up. Even if it's with advertising.

froginaustin

Doesn't bother me even a little bit if expensive architectural features are left off the east side to give TCU a few years to decide whether or not an expansion of the east side is warranted that would require the demolition of the otherwise-omitted expensive architectural features.

:laugh:

I'm fine with waiting 3 to 10 years, or how ever long it takes, for the deciders to decide what the east side will ultimately look like.

zapporo

The stadium is looking great. We have much to be thankful for.
Sending out a big THANK YOU to the donors that made the stadium renovation possible.

cdsfrog

Doesn't bother me even a little bit if expensive architectural features are left off the east side to give TCU a few years to decide whether or not an expansion of the east side is warranted that would require the demolition of the otherwise-omitted expensive architectural features.

:laugh:

I'm fine with waiting 3 to 10 years, or how ever long it takes, for the deciders to decide what the east side will ultimately look like.

Finally someone said it. I totally forgot about this element, but if you consider the fact that the east side will be raised assuming we do add capacity (good chance if season ticket holders continue to increase and stabilize above 30k) TCU's conservative approach makes sense.

Endless Purple

While we're whining about the stadium though, I really hope they figure out the sound system. Turn down the speakers, or else you're going to be looking at an empty endzone upper deck during extra points. And cover them up. Even if it's with advertising.
Out of curiosity, is there a reason all the speakers are in the NEZ? or are there some in the SEZ? It would seem that if they were spread around it would allow for more balanced sound without blasting out one section of seats.

TCUdirtbag

Keep in mind that east side deck is significantly taller than the current one, so the east side facade is also going to be taller, even with some of the stands exposed.