• The KillerFrogs

We should be glad to play La Tech

ftwfrog

We all know that LHCGP is smarter than all of us. The Poinsetta Bowl is the only bowl that we know the certain opponent.We all know that our defense was young this year, and has a big challenge ahead of them next year. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe La Tech runs the spread just like 90% of the Big 12. La Tech likes to sling the ball around, just like 90% of the Big 12. LHCGP wants and needs an extra 15 practices with this young defense playing against a spread offense.

Does it really matter if we beat powerhouse Wake Forest or the ultimate underacheiver NC State?? What's the difference if we beat Arizona State or La Tech? If we're not in the Sugar Bowl, we all know that we are looking forward to next year and next year starts on December 5th. Preparing for La Tech and giving our players more familiarity with that type of offense will help us win the National Championship next year.

tcuseagull

That is actually a great point and something I had not thought of. In the grand scheme of things all of our likely bowl options are insignificant (unless of course we wind up in NOLA). We will need to practice against the schemes of all the trigger happy schools in the Big 12, and LA Tech would make for great practice. Perhaps I'm having a genuine change of heart on the whole bowl dilemma.

berryfrog95

I can understand the argument, but you have to think that a trip to the Sugar Bowl preps you just as well for the Big Xii next year, playing a tougher team overall?? I think u can spin the argument either way...

PurplePutt

If TCU does end up playing LA Tech, they better bring their A game. This is a team that doesn't get much notoriety and will be fired up to play a top 25 team.

Three of their four losses were very close. USM by 2, UH by 1, and Mississippi State in OT.

Just saying.

Other than Air Force (triple option) and San Diego State (pro set style), I really don't recall a team that we've played this year that didn't run some variation of the spread. So, it's not like when we show up in the Big 12 our players will not be familiar with the basics of defending that offense.

La Tech is a lose/lose proposition. While I agree they are probably better than the perception, even if we destroy that team the perception accross the country is that we just whipped up on Colorado State again. I hope for a very fortuitous set of events that results in us playing a team like Michegan in the Sugar Bowl. Winnable game, sets us up much better perception wise going into next year.

La Tech is a lose/lose proposition. While I agree they are probably better than the perception, even if we destroy that team the perception accross the country is that we just whipped up on Colorado State again. I hope for a very fortuitous set of events that results in us playing a team like Michegan in the Sugar Bowl. Winnable game, sets us up much better perception wise going into next year.

Agreed. The only battle left for us to fight is perception, and this game does absolutely nothing for that.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I can understand the argument, but you have to think that a trip to the Sugar Bowl preps you just as well for the Big Xii next year, playing a tougher team overall?? I think u can spin the argument either way...

He's not talking about Sugar Bowl. Talking about everything that is real and possible outside that.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
We all know that LHCGP is smarter than all of us. The Poinsetta Bowl is the only bowl that we know the certain opponent.We all know that our defense was young this year, and has a big challenge ahead of them next year. Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I believe La Tech runs the spread just like 90% of the Big 12. La Tech likes to sling the ball around, just like 90% of the Big 12. LHCGP wants and needs an extra 15 practices with this young defense playing against a spread offense.

Does it really matter if we beat powerhouse Wake Forest or the ultimate underacheiver NC State?? What's the difference if we beat Arizona State or La Tech? If we're not in the Sugar Bowl, we all know that we are looking forward to next year and next year starts on December 5th. Preparing for La Tech and giving our players more familiarity with that type of offense will help us win the National Championship next year.

A lot of the same reasoning and points several of us made in the long thread.

My only problem is still this --- the LVB says it is for the MWC champion. That is the bowl we should be going to.

Beyond that, you are right. In fact, of the possible opponents, LAT is probably the best for this team to face and beat heading into next year.

Bob

i just would love to be able to drive to the game
Dude, take I20 west until you hook up with I10. Follow it to Arizona and merge on I8 west. Problemo no mas!

Just remember, California rest stops in the Imperial Valley consist of porta potties in the sand dunes.

ftwfrog

Agreed. The only battle left for us to fight is perception, and this game does absolutely nothing for that.
Now that we're in the Big 12, the perception battle, the little guy, [Deleted], fighting for notariety is all gone. We do not have to fight perception anymore. Are you worried about this year's ranking?? If we beat La Tech or Wake we will be ranked in the same spot.

A lot of you are underestimating the practices for bowl season. It's almost as much practice as spring practice. With a young team, and this crazy difficult defense, the practices will groom this defense for 2012

Raw Frog

Now that we're in the Big 12, the perception battle, the little guy, [Deleted], fighting for notariety is all gone. We do not have to fight perception anymore. Are you worried about this year's ranking?? If we beat La Tech or Wake we will be ranked in the same spot.

A lot of you are underestimating the practices for bowl season. It's almost as much practice as spring practice. With a young team, and this crazy difficult defense, the practices will groom this defense for 2012

+1

Horned Toad

The later in the bowl season our game is, the more practices the team can get, the better it is for next year's team. The Sugar Bowl would be awesome not just because it's the Sugar Bowl but there would be at least an extra week of practice.