• The KillerFrogs

Yahoo! Sports: Justice letter could signal big trouble for BCS

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I love the right wing nut jobs. Somehow leftists don't like football and want to community organize the sport. Hooray unfounded paranoia!

I guess you missed that "Tax By The Mile" proposal they floated today, eh? Too busy watching your President spiking the ball at Ground Zero?

Screaming Flea

It's highly ironic TCU will be entering an AQ conference just as it seems the BCS is facing its toughest challenge, but an FBS playoff may still prove to be good for the Frogs.

As a member of the MWC TCU had to rely on a perfect storm of factors to even be considered for the national title, and on the surface it would seem a playoff would right that wrong, but maybe not.

We've already witnessed how the more powerful "haves" in the big six conferences passed over the less powerful undefeated Big East member (Cincinnati) when it came time to punch a ticket to the Big Game, and there's no reason to believe that won't happen again.

The pecking order of the big six is just as exclusive as their overall attitude toward the "little conferences," and under the current system that perfect storm will still be necessary for a school like TCU to be included in national championship consideration.

Even as a member of "The Club," a minimum 8-team playoff may still be the TCU's best opportunity to win the Big One.

Go Frogs!

I like your thoughts DJ.

tetonfrog

Don't be surprised if the BCS simply dissolves and the old bowl system is put back in place. That's what they have threatened to do and can do to answer this lawsuit. Fine, government man, you don't like the BCS, let's have a Wisconsin-Oregon Rose Bowl and so on. And they will smile and say, "Just like the good ol' days." What would the gov't do then? My guess is nothing.

Frogenstein

I doubt they will go back to the old bowl system as it won't bring in near the revenue the BcS currently brings to the auto qualifiers. They are more likely to break away from the NCAA and form their own league but that would cost them their tax exempt status.

Endless Purple

If the BCS did away with AQ/non-AQ and went to the top ranked X champions within say the top 14 places in the rankings, then gave the same payout to each champion regardless of conference, all the legal issues would most likely go away.

- It would remove the unfair trade practicies which the government could document.
- The result of that would be little in terms of money to the big 6 conferences for the most part. Occasionally someone like UConn last year would have been left out.
- Also the smaller conferences like the Sunbelt, MAC and CUSA would lose a couple million from when the MWC champ may get in as they won't get a share unless their team gets in.

Chongo94

While a part of me is doing the happy dance at this news, another part of me is terrified at who is leading this Justice Department charge and what the fallout from this will be to College Football as a whole.

We all must remember that the people who are in positions of power currently at Justice are the Hardcore Left. The types of goofballs who simply hate the idea of Football in the first place. The types who tried to get Football banned while they were pimply-faced students, but were laughed at. Well, look who's in charge now!

There is a distinct possiblilty that these loons will screw things up even worse than they are now. They will call it "fairness" or somesuch nonsense. If you truly hated something, I mean really hated, and were given the ability to direct its future...

We are living in interesting times, sadly...

One of the worst posts I've ever seen on this board. Right wing paranoia is amazing at times....as is the ignorance they possess. I guess I should stop being surprised by both aspects of the right wing but somehow their zaniness continues to amaze or perhaps I should borrow a phrase from their deity and say that it continues to "shock and awe."

joejordan

One of the worst posts I've ever seen on this board. Right wing paranoia is amazing at times....as is the ignorance they possess. I guess I should stop being surprised by both aspects of the right wing but somehow their zaniness continues to amaze or perhaps I should borrow a phrase from their deity and say that it continues to "shock and awe."
You must be young. Ronald Reagan did not coin the phrase "shock and awe". Arrogance as a debating tactic never works.

Chongo94

You must be young. Ronald Reagan did not coin the phrase "shock and awe". Arrogance as a debating tactic never works.

I was not referring to that deity as he has very little in common with the right wingers currently running around, despite their continued belief that they are continuing his efforts and message. I was referring to their most recent deity, none other than W.

Maybe you should take notice of your own statement... :laugh:

joejordan

I was not referring to that deity as he has very little in common with the right wingers currently running around, despite their continued belief that they are continuing his efforts and message. I was referring to their most recent deity, none other than W.

Maybe you should take notice of your own statement... :laugh:
You could have not posted. I am fully aware of who you were referring to...and I do believe the "right wingers" (lol) are continuing the message that USA needs to aspire to be that Shining City on the Hill, an example for all the world to look up to, and join, in an effort to reduce conflict, economic misery, and human suffering.

What that city looks like, and how it is run, is where many differ. I think less government, lower taxes, more individual freedoms and responsibilities (always hand in hand) and an unwavering commitment to have the best (kill people and break things) defense in the world are the same bulwarks that swept RR and his flotsam into power.

That you think GW is a right wing deity shows your inexperience. He is simply the latest successful pupil in the conservative school of politics.

It's OK Chongo, this is America.

Chongo94

You could have not posted. I am fully aware of who you were referring to...and I do believe the "right wingers" (lol) are continuing the message that USA needs to aspire to be that Shining City on the Hill, an example for all the world to look up to, and join, in an effort to reduce conflict, economic misery, and human suffering.

What that city looks like, and how it is run, is where many differ. I think less government, lower taxes, more individual freedoms and responsibilities (always hand in hand) and an unwavering commitment to have the best (kill people and break things) defense in the world are the same bulwarks that swept RR and his flotsam into power.

That you think GW is a right wing deity shows your inexperience. He is simply the latest successful pupil in the conservative school of politics.

It's OK Chongo, this is America.

I don't think W is, his followers do. I only use that term because of their worship of him. You're right, this is America, but it is only a tattered image of what it once was, mainly because of the gross ignorance and paranoia (such as this idiotic argument of the left getting control of football) that appears to pervade too many Americans currently.

Kaiser

I don't think W is, his followers do. I only use that term because of their worship of him. You're right, this is America, but it is only a tattered image of what it once was, mainly because of the gross ignorance and paranoia (such as this idiotic argument of the left getting control of football) that appears to pervade too many Americans currently.

So what exactly was the golden age of the perfect America? America and its government has always had its warts and faults. The good in this country still far outweighs the bad.