• The KillerFrogs

Why we should avoid the Big 12

PurplePutt

It doesn't matter how much money they have. They still have to play the games. TCU would have beat UT by 40 points last year. If TCU is in the Big 12 the recruiting is going to be better than BE. It is the big stage boys.

Better add that upper deck. UT is gonna have to come to Fort Worth. The other B12 schools are going to enjoy poking Bevo in the eye when it comes time to vote. They know he is afraid of competition. They are worried about TCU getting some recruits but they have to be excited that we may also take some from Bevo and do exactly what Bevo is afraid of--level the playing field.

That is what I hope, anyway. The revenue from the B12 vs a failing BE that may lose 4 teams only to add some service academies or CUSA schools is a no brainer. Besides, wouldn't it be nice just taking some road trips for away games.

I know we ain't going 12-0 every year in the B12 but if we can pull it off, we will be in the big game. Cincy did it in the BE and didn't get in and we certainly wouldn't in a watered down BE. Hell, the 8-4 bowl that the B12 gets is way better than that worthless bowl in Vegas the MWC champ gets. Guess you could say the BE champ gets a BCS bowl which is true but we don't know how long it is true and you know any conference with UT and OU in it will always be a BCS conference. If it breaks up, it is still better than if the BE breaks up.

Accepting an invite to the B12 is a no brainer in my book.

ectofrog

There's a difference between scared and smart. TCU in the Big East is differentiated from the Big 12. This is an advantage. TCU does not and will not have the resources of UT and OU. In the Big East, TCU offers recruits, fans and students a winning alternative to UT and OU. It also offers east coast media exposure and opens new recruiting zones. It also makes it easier for us to be Fort Worth's team since all those UT and A&M alums can root for the Frogs without rooting against their schools. Think of it like a business and check your egos. In the Big East, TCU can play in the BCS most years. In the Big 12, once or twice a decade. Its precisely because the Big East is a weaker conference that TCU can dominate it.

Take an example from business. When Wal-mart started, they were already revolutionizing retailing. They had outstanding leadership with great vision. When they had early success, they didn't start opening stores right next to K-mart to compete head to head. They opened up big stores in small towns and grew in the places the dominant national competitors were not. Once they established themselves nationally and grew their resources, then they started crushing the competition in larger markets. Were they scared of K-mart and Sears, or were they smart?

TCU isn't ready to dominate year in and year out in the Big 12. If the Frogs spend 5 to 10 years owning the Big East, playing in BCS games every other year or better, then national following and top flight recruits will follow. Achieve that and then the Frogs can go where they want.

The Frogs have THE highest average finish of the last three years...and that's not among Big 12 teams -- that's in the entire NATION. And despite what anybody says on some bogus trophy, the Frogs were the real national champions of the 2010 football season. We'd have beaten Auburn or Oregon straight-up, and it wouldn't have even been close if you'd taken away their illegal players. Ending with their ROSE BOWL VICTORY over the hottest team in the nation, the Frogs went 38-3 in just over three years. What in the EFF would they have to do to convince you they're "ready" for the freaking Big 12? And is DeLoss a relative on your mother's side or your father's?

Not ready, my butt. Pansy.

OmniscienceFrog

Take an example from business. When Wal-mart started, they were already revolutionizing retailing. They had outstanding leadership with great vision. When they had early success, they didn't start opening stores right next to K-mart to compete head to head. They opened up big stores in small towns and grew in the places the dominant national competitors were not. Once they established themselves nationally and grew their resources, then they started crushing the competition in larger markets. Were they scared of K-mart and Sears, or were they smart?

Can't say that I anticipated this all turning into a Business 101 lecture. Somehow I just can't tie Walmart, a stand alone business, into joining a group of other businesses that share resources, such as a college athletic conference. I'd have to say that college conferences are more like franchisors and the individual schools are franchisees, and I know I'd rather have a McDonald's franchise than a Dairy Queen franchise.

TCU isn't ready to dominate year in and year out in the Big 12. If the Frogs spend 5 to 10 years owning the Big East, playing in BCS games every other year or better, then national following and top flight recruits will follow. Achieve that and then the Frogs can go where they want.

Good to know that we have retail business consultants that are also experts in college football too.

EVOfrogMR

You guys need to take off the purple glasses for a minute. Was the Rose Bowl amazing? Yes. Would TCU have beaten Auburn last year? Yes. Has TCU kicked butt the past 3 years? Yes, they didn't lose to a team that didn't play in a BCS game over that span. I believe no other school can make that claim. Is TCU ready and able to compete in the Big 12? Absolutely. Is TCU going to dominate the Big 12 the way they would dominate the Big East? No. Understand the difference between being a good team in a leauge, and being the bully. If you were joining the BIG Ten, would would want to be Iowa or Ohio State?

What do Ohio State, USC, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, and USC have in common? They dominate their leauges and they play in the BCS more than they don't. In the Big East, you can add TCU to that list. That's what I want for the Frogs. A BCS game an expectation year in and year out with a realistic chance at a national title every few years. If you really think that beating up the MWC for 3 years means TCU is going to do the same to the Big 12; more power to you, but those purple glasses have some thick lenses.

Big Frog II

You guys need to take off the purple glasses for a minute. Was the Rose Bowl amazing? Yes. Would TCU have beaten Auburn last year? Yes. Has TCU kicked butt the past 3 years? Yes, they didn't lose to a team that didn't play in a BCS game over that span. I believe no other school can make that claim. Is TCU ready and able to compete in the Big 12? Absolutely. Is TCU going to dominate the Big 12 the way they would dominate the Big East? No. Understand the difference between being a good team in a leauge, and being the bully. If you were joining the BIG Ten, would would want to be Iowa or Ohio State?

What do Ohio State, USC, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, and USC have in common? They dominate their leauges and they play in the BCS more than they don't. In the Big East, you can add TCU to that list. That's what I want for the Frogs. A BCS game an expectation year in and year out with a realistic chance at a national title every few years. If you really think that beating up the MWC for 3 years means TCU is going to do the same to the Big 12; more power to you, but those purple glasses have some thick lenses.
No I don't expect to dominate the Big 12, but I do expect to be a player. Every conference we have joined since we decided to become relevant again, we have been successful. I have stated that if the Big East was the same conference that invited us, then I say stay. Unfortunately, it is not. I view the Big 12 at this time with all of its warts as the best alternative.