• The KillerFrogs

Who will be the QB closest to succeeding as AD did?

77FROGS

Which one QB, whether a current player or a new recruit, will be the closest to succeeding as AD did over the next 3-4 years? Many factors to consider - character and leadership skills, of course, and one who can throw accurately and run hard and tough, Just a side question - did you ever see AD slide feet first? Also, I can't remember AD fumbling too often or ever when running the ball.

CP certainly ran tough the times I saw him, but I seem to think from what I hear in this forum that Brown may be closer to AD in all skill and leadership departments.

Gunner

One thing that concerns me, and I have to worry about something, is the durability factor. Dalton was an amazingly durable, tough character. Not all QB's can handle our offense so successfully and never miss games.

Pachall is doing really well, according to GP. But he is not built like a linebacker as Dalton was. He is more tall and lean. Still tough, but can he handle the big stage conflicts, durability wise????

Of course, we have so much better depth now and with GP's comments on Boykin, that 17 year old will need to work hard this summer learning the scheme...

Brown too, is slightly on the slender side. He's a little more compact, but well, we will see... :unsure:

At least we will be better than when we only had one QB, and it was not that many years ago. I remember years when we couldn't even find a QB to recruit....

Dr. Coach Haus

I do remember those years. Jeff Dover as QB and then Patrick B. Not what we were looking for for great QB stature.

They may set up the offense a little different with a little less read option or more depending on who is QB and how they are built. Less QB running may happen with the WRs we picked up today and what we already have. Running game is solid.

Be careful of the running QB. Tye Gunn was awesome running, but got hurt a lot.

Stiff Arm Frog

My money's on Brown. He has a year of eligibility over Pachall, and I don't like Pachall's tattoos.

I also don't like dual-threat quarterbacks, which appears to be the nature of our two recruits this year. Most dual-threat QBs don't have the discipline to commit to the pass, instead looking for an excuse to run. Reminds me too much of Marcus Jackson.

Screaming Flea

More than a few paragraphs could be written on this subject. Throw away your conceptions of who number one is based on limited playing time this past season, we don't have a number one candidate presently. TCU has yet to appoint an heir a apparent to Andy, period. Won't know for a long time. This crop of QBs has to prove they can solidify the team with character, leadership and talent ON and OFF the field.

SnoopFrogs11

I've heard Matt Brown has all the tools to succeed as backup to Andy. I heard he's got a good arms and 4.4 speed, he played with and practiced with him. We'll see in spring ball and fall who takes over for Andy.

Houston Frog

My money's on Brown. He has a year of eligibility over Pachall, and I don't like Pachall's tattoos.

I also don't like dual-threat quarterbacks, which appears to be the nature of our two recruits this year. Most dual-threat QBs don't have the discipline to commit to the pass, instead looking for an excuse to run. Reminds me too much of Marcus Jackson.

Every single QB we have is a dual-threat QB... that's how we recruit the position. I think you're substituting the term "dual-threat" for "not a great passer".

Marcus Jackson was a solid backup, but couldn't make all the throws to be a full-time starter at this level, IMO.

Pachall, Boykin, and Brown are all pass-first QBs who also happen to be able to run the ball.