• The KillerFrogs

When/If Auburn is stripped of Title

WIll it be

• Total voters

Goo

Goo's inside source says the tape recordings regarding $cam Newton are damning and the NCAA can't just ignore them. It is also likely, that Auburn did pay and that the paper trail will sometime come up.

Assuming, the NCAA strips Auburn of Title

Will history show the 2011 National Champs as:
(1) TCU who finished #2 in both polls

-OR-

(2) Oregon who played in NC game and was previously #2 in BCS

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
The only other undefeated team, the only team ranked two. As JB stated above it may not be official, but we've got every right to claim it should that news come down at a later time.

Neither. It would be vacated.

Which begs the question...if Auburn just arbitrarily claimed the 2004 National Championship, would anybody disagree?

I wouldn't. I think they were robbed.

Many would feel the same way about us.

It is ironic, though, that they could lose this one after being robbed in 2004. If Auburn is stripped of their title, I predict their program will go in the tank for a long time. And that's why I think the NCAA will be hesitant to do anything. Despite what they did with USC, I think they would rather protect a program's legacy rather than send them in a downward spiral.

freebird

I think it just remains vacated...no one wins for this year. Similar to what they did with Reggie Bush's Heisman.

Anyone want to take bets on how long before Fairley lands in the pokey??

Who allowed this dirt bag, head hunter to play in the NC game?

I hope the NCAA or FBI buries Auburn 6' deep.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The NCAA is too gutless to do anything. They'll lay some meaningless slap-on-the-wrist penalties on them and trumpet their integrity and willingness to cooperate...

Auburn will get away with it, and all of College Football will suffer.

frogteacher70

I can see a brand new version of pony excess occurring as a result of NCAA indifference. Some hungry schools with unscrupulous boosters will muddy the waters of amateur athletics in a wholesale onslaught. It is quite nice to have an alma mater that relies on good coaching and teaching fundamentals to its athletes rather than resorting to payola. Thanks CGP and TCU.

It would go into the abyss like the 1994 World Series, the 1987 SMU football season, and the money I invested in Global Crossing back in the 90s. It would be like it never existed.

Opintel

Moderators
It would go into the abyss like the 1994 World Series, the 1987 SMU football season, and the money I invested in Global Crossing back in the 90s. It would be like it never existed.
This is a lesson. It speaks to the (general) value of these things. Pretty much nothing, except to the recipient of that #1 ranking. Who will fight for #2? No one.

Don't lose sight of reality, my friends. Life ain't fair. :mellow:

Deep Purple

Doesn't really matter. The NCAA doesn't recognize any football national championship at the FBS level. The claim that the BCS title is a "national championship" is merely a marketing ploy, with no more official sanction than the AP poll or Sagarin or my next-door neighbor's personal opinion. That's precisely why it's almost universally called a Mythical National Championship (MNC). Because there is no recognized system for determining an official national champion.

Among unofficial rankings, the AP still carries far more weight than any system outside of the BCS. That's why, when the AP recognizes a different #1 than the BCS, it sparks all kinds of controversy and we have what is eventually recognized as a split (mythical) title.

When the AP and the BCS happen to agree on #1, there is little or no controversy -- but if the game that cemented that final consensus #1 ranking gets vacated by the NCAA due to rules infractions, since there's no playoff system to settle the issue, it's entirely legit for a consensus #2 team to claim the MNC. And if Auburn's BCS title is nullified by the NCAA, that's exactly what TCU should do. People can dispute it, but they can't disprove it. There's no mechanism in the NCAA FBS division for doing so.