• The KillerFrogs

Waiting on OU and Aggies

asleep003

The aggies are on a cycle? Oh, that explains alot. :tongue:

I took it as the recruiting cycle ...with eventual more quality athletes.

But also wondering with all the investegations going on in the SEC,
7 of the 12 and at least 2 going down, does it make since at this time
to jump now.... or since BE seem to look pretty clean, to enter in as a
Big Fish immediately, with much greater opportunities at BCS Bowls.

AggieFrog

Lots of rumors that it could be A&M and Mizzou to the SEC.

As for what we bring - the SEC gets to renegotiate its TV contracts and include the Texas footprint. As for football, A&M would be a middle tier team right now in the SEC. Ags could get better or worse, but remember that Florida and Auburn weren't exactly world beaters in years past either. Same with LSU.

Looking at several different measures, A&M would be near the top in academics, overall athletic department (NACDA Directors' Cup + all but 2 sports are currently ranked in the top 25 as of the end of the 2010-11 school year), athletic budget, stadium capacity, & undergrad enrollment. We also already have natural rivalries with Arkansas and LSU and we have some shared history with Alabama (the Bear & Stallings).

Based on gameday atmospheres, A&M fits in much more in the SEC than the Big 12 Lite. I just hope the Ags make the jump this time around. The LHN is giving A&M some cover politically to make the move and now that the Texas Legislature is out of session this looks to be a good time.

asleep003

A couple of days ago, LA Daily News/or the Times articled a story that the conference movement is not about over... spent most of the article reviewing what almost happened and what did happen last Summer and Fall. Finished up with last paragraph on what a bad taste the Aggies have in their mouth over the Bevo Network and it's implications on recruiting.... so it seems the talk, even if it's not a probable scenario, is well in the air.

Cheers!

mtmedlin

What scares me is the timing. For the BE, this needs to happen AFTER our new contract. At that point, we are making more then the ACC and could really offer the B12 schools a legitimate and viable home.

One idea that was floated is that if all of this happens in the spring, before the BE contract, then the BE football schools could approach the B12 about joining. If AtM and Ok join the SEC (which is the SECs preference, I know theirs talk of Missou, but they will only take them if they cant get those two alone) Then Texas will go indy. That leaves (from north to south) Iowa St., Kansas, Kansas St., Missou, Oklahoma St., Texas Tech and (please dont vomit) Baylor. Thats seven teams...the BE has 9...makes a solid conference AND what that does is allow the BE to seperate from the Basketball schools (invite back a few...Nova, GTown, Notre Dame, St Johns and Marquette).

This "could" work since ESPN holds the first tier rights to the B12 and BE. We could go back and ask that the contract that was discussed of $130 million a year be added to the B12 contract of $60 million a year and that we would extend the BE deal till the end of the B12 contract which ends in 2016. I am pretty certain Fox would still be ok with paying $90 million a year for a 16 team football conference and 5 additional basketball schools. Its so much inventory, they could sell off the extra to Raycom and Turner. In total, we would be looking at $280 million a year, which would be about $15.5 million per football school and about $6 million for the basketball schools.

.... now to my part of all of this... then we get every school to chip in money to hire away Larry Scott! Even if he cost us $3 million a year, he woud be well worth it. I dont have alot of faith in B12 or BE leadership...In larry Scott do I trust...

Kaiser

Aggies talk a lot. I can't help but believe this is nothing more than wishful thinking by Aggie fans.

I think the Aggies missed their chance at the SEC when they kissed Longhorn butt last summer.

The Horns won't care about highschool games because UT is already getting paid.

ESPN will get left trying to sell field hockey and academic debates because they bought into their own hyperbole last summer that UT is the biggest and baddest and that people would want to watch 4th tier sports because of it.

froginaustin

Stiff Arm posted a blog that's interesting if only because it shows the LSU blogger's point of view. He thinks there's more room for A&M in the SEC than I do (or did-- his information from the SEC pov should be better than mine):

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=139295

jstrat

Smoke. Never seen this much. Twitter has been blowing up with mods on both A&M and SEC sites talking about legitimate dealings going on between the two. Something could happen very soon.

froginaustin

Smoke. Never seen this much. Twitter has been blowing up with mods on both A&M and SEC sites talking about legitimate dealings going on between the two. Something could happen very soon.

I'll believe the rumors have legs as opposed to being Aggie wishful thinking (or political posturing) when the SEC sources aren't anonymous, so long as the SEC sources are credible of course. There is no, absolutely no, A&M source on this issue that has any credibility at all without backup from a named, credible SEC source.

tetonfrog

I'll believe the rumors have legs as opposed to being Aggie wishful thinking (or political posturing) when the SEC sources aren't anonymous, so long as the SEC sources are credible of course. There is no, absolutely no, A&M source on this issue that has any credibility at all without backup from a named, credible SEC source.

I will believe it is true when the A&M and the OU prez hold a press conference with the SEC commish and announce the moves. Until then, it is speculation.