• The KillerFrogs

Versus Rebranded

mtmedlin

NBCsports.com will end up being like ESPN3... and now they have their dedicated sports channel, similar to ESPN. Then add in that they have their regional networks, which are predominately in BE territory. I doubt we ever see much of the BE football games on the main NBC channel but wouldnt doubt that some top tier basketball content might end up there.
Starting to look like Comcast will be a solid partner and they have the cash to get us.

PurplePutt

Anyone think NBC Sports and ESPN competition for Big East Football/basketball might get us a great deal?

I'm not sure that ND would ever join a conference but the BE having a big deal with NBC and with ND already in the BE for everything but football.....Could that be a tie breaker with the Big 10 if they ever were to join a conference for football?

Planks

NBCsports.com will end up being like ESPN3... and now they have their dedicated sports channel, similar to ESPN. Then add in that they have their regional networks, which are predominately in BE territory. I doubt we ever see much of the BE football games on the main NBC channel but wouldnt doubt that some top tier basketball content might end up there.
Starting to look like Comcast will be a solid partner and they have the cash to get us.

Only way the Big East signs a TV contract with Comcast is if Comcast agrees to put the top Big East football games on the main NBC channel. The Big East would want some sort of guarenteed minimum for the number of football games that would be aired on NBC. The NBC Sports Network would be a great place for the Big East's 2nd tier games, but it would be a terrible place for top games like WVU-Pitt or TCU-WVU. The Big East needs a contract that gives it's top games a lot of exposure, and right now that channel isn't the NBC Sports Network.

Gunner

It boggles the mind to figure out why they waited to do this. The Comcast people must have taken total control. That will become a strong sports channel given the NBC peacock.

Comcast waited 5 minutes to fire that ultra liberal on Direct TV, but then I'm not sure that had to do with politics(can't remember the idiots name). This(NBC Sports) is just another sign of shaping up a terribly run company.. GE wanted out and sold to someone who knows how to capture a market. Just hope NBC is serious about getting into the bidding come contract time. And I hope they go full time competing with the ESPN whores...

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Anyone think NBC Sports and ESPN competition for Big East Football/basketball might get us a great deal?

I think everybody involved is counting on that very thing.

I'm not sure that ND would ever join a conference but the BE having a big deal with NBC and with ND already in the BE for everything but football.....Could that be a tie breaker with the Big 10 if they ever were to join a conference for football?

Just my opinion, I think its actually more likely ND goes the UT route and starts the Drunken Midget Network.

PurplePutt

Only way the Big East signs a TV contract with Comcast is if Comcast agrees to put the top Big East football games on the main NBC channel. The Big East would want some sort of guarenteed minimum for the number of football games that would be aired on NBC. The NBC Sports Network would be a great place for the Big East's 2nd tier games, but it would be a terrible place for top games like WVU-Pitt or TCU-WVU. The Big East needs a contract that gives it's top games a lot of exposure, and right now that channel isn't the NBC Sports Network.

Who carries the "big" Big East games now? If comcast and NBC Sports and the NBC Sports channel has their eye on ESPN like sports coverage, maybe NBC sports will be a bigger deal? Not any game the BE has would rate a prime time NBC slot now. I hope that would change with TCU in the conference but I doubt it.

mtmedlin

Alot of reports coming out and also friends of mine that are ND alumni who are saying that it was ND who was behind pushing WV, Rutgers and Pitt to not allow Nova in, which killed the deal with ESPN. Comcast has several people who are good friends with Pernitti and have relationships with Tagliabue. Theres just a ton of smoke and makes me think fire will exist. IF we can get a few games on NBC and a mix on NBC sports and regional networks, it will be a hell of a deal.

Gunner

Pretty sure ESPN has a current contract with the BE.. In fact, didn't they just try to get the BE to update the contract and the BE refused? After the Pac 10 did their deal, ESPN tried to get out in front of a contract race, but BE is waiting it out, hoping for added bidders. And Comcast is acting like they might do just that.

Who cares about Notre Dame, their football is terrible. Maybe they will go to the Big 10. If the Ags had a brain they would push for the BE. Shhhhush! Don't tell 'em...

Planks

This is how I would imagine a Big East TV Contract would work each year.

NBC- A few, guaranteed number of 1st tier games
NBC Sports Network- 1st and 2nd tier games
Big East Network- 3rd tier games

As part of the contract, there would be a guarenteed minimum number of games that Comcast would be required to air on the main NBC network. The other Big East games would be put on the NBC Sports Network. My guess is that as part of the TV contract, Comcast would create a Big East Network that they would own, similar to the way Comcast created and owns The Mtn. This would be where Comcast could put all of the least desirable Big East games that they don't want on their bigger networks.

Obviously the main problem with this contract is that Comcast probably won't be too fond of putting BIg East games on NBC, but if Comcast wants the Big East than that's what it's going to take.

masterfrog

Who carries the "big" Big East games now? If comcast and NBC Sports and the NBC Sports channel has their eye on ESPN like sports coverage, maybe NBC sports will be a bigger deal? Not any game the BE has would rate a prime time NBC slot now. I hope that would change with TCU in the conference but I doubt it.
The main Big East games have been on ABC for years now. Unfortunately they compete with regional coverage from the Big 12, so we might not get them over the air as often here. Generally the ones not on ABC get pushed to ESPN though. The country gets divided by market on which channel gets which games.