• The KillerFrogs

University of Michigan to play Division I men's lacrosse beginning next season

JogginFrog

I think that when Denver and Johns Hopkins are the marquee names in said sport, then it may be best to avoid joining this exclusive fraternity of competitors.

Not sure where you're going here. Several of the top lacrosse schools -- Hopkins, Syracuse, Duke, Denver -- are all selective private schools with modest undergrad enrollment (5,000-13,000) in the Top 100 of the U.S. News rankings for national universities. Sound a little like the profile of your favorite university?

Denver, which went D1 in lacrosse in 1999, has shown that a school outside of the traditional East Coast elites can develop a nationally competitive program in a reasonably short time. I bet if any of the four Texas schools that match that profile (TCU, SMU, Rice, Baylor) were to start a men's lacrosse program, it'd be a major player in college lacrosse within 5 years. But only if it's the first such program to launch.

BTW, I have no major interest in or background in lacrosse. Just think it'd be a good fit for TCU. For Title IX, pair it up with women's gymnastics.

Metropolis777

Yuppie sport okay another TCU asshat! :tongue:
You keep pushing a money losing sport that most of the TCU population doesn't give a damn about. The schtick is getting old. If you haven't figured it out by now, there are many many sports in line BEFORE lacrosse to be added at TCU. Give it up.

Stiff Arm Frog

Anybody who thinks lacrosse isn't big in Texas hasn't set foot on a high school campus in some time -- I just graduated from TCU, but even when I was in high school lacrosse was huge. Kids love it, it would make TCU unique to Texas, and we could dominate in years to come.

Add women's gymnastics, and men's lacrosse. Come on CDC, let's do this.

60s Frog

Tier 1

Virginia Frog got it right - - not LAX but Men's Soccer is where we should go [or return].

But what TCU NEEDS is to return MEN'S Soccer to campus...what, we'll be the ONLY BE school w/o MEN'S Soccer. E Hyman made a big error IMO when he canned the MS program. We had room to grow the sport there.

And with the growth of Hispanic America - [particularly in TX and the SW USA] - the talent pool and interest in MS is THERE for it's return at TCU. Successfully so, IMO!

But, of course, T9 would require a reciprocal ladies sport for opportunity balance.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
Okay valid point however I would compare TCU more with SU than Marquette. That being said SU does not sponsor equestrian, rifle or baseball, but does sponsor mens and womens soccer, mens and womens lacrosse, field hockey, softball, womens hockey (the ice kind) on what I beleive is a far less endowmwment and not as wealthy an alumni base as TCU. Now SU does average probably around 8-10,000 per lacrosse game for attendence, but TCU could do that by having home games at ACS.

You think that TCU could match the attendance of the #1 draw in college lacrosse? Your optimism seems seriously misplaced.

I'm not saying I'd be against adding lacrosse, but I just see too many other priorities and obstacles.

Anybody who thinks lacrosse isn't big in Texas hasn't set foot on a high school campus in some time -- I just graduated from TCU, but even when I was in high school lacrosse was huge. Kids love it, it would make TCU unique to Texas, and we could dominate in years to come.

80 schools in a state the size of Texas is neither 'huge' nor 'big'. Far fewer than sponsor wrestling (which, unlike lacrosse, is a UIL sport), but I don't hear too many calling for that to be added at TCU. Sorry.

smredd

Men's soccer would come on campus before Lacrosse. It would be great to have two soccer programs on campus and I feel like the potential to be great is better with the men than the women. Unfortunately, with Title IX, you can't just add a women's sport and then a men's sport to balance it out. Title IX was great back in the day, but now it is just a burden on every university and the policies should be reevaluated and revised. Too many men's revenue sports across the nation are getting cut for women's sports that bring in nothing for the universities.

MidlandFrog

If we bring something back it should be men's soccer. Growing hispanic population loves Soccer. We could potentially have a more fertile recruiting ground. LAX is an awesome sport, but very few schools in Texas play it and the ones that do are elite private schools that are sending more kids to the IVY league than they are to TCU.

leofrog

If we bring something back it should be men's soccer. Growing hispanic population loves Soccer. We could potentially have a more fertile recruiting ground. LAX is an awesome sport, but very few schools in Texas play it and the ones that do are elite private schools that are sending more kids to the IVY league than they are to TCU.
Don't disagree with you about soccer, but being in a sport so few play in the state and region is a big positive, because you have a larger pool to recruit from.

smredd

Don't disagree with you about soccer, but being in a sport so few play in the state and region is a big positive, because you have a larger pool to recruit from.

That may be true if this were a major sport or even a second-level sport (popularity wise). However, kids that are good enough to play lacrosse at the next level are going to go play out east or Denver or wherever else has an established program at a school that will pay more attention to lacrosse. Sure, TCU would get some decent recruits, but decent doesn't win championships, especially in LAX

RufeBruton

I'd be more impressed with lacrosse if they played it in an all deepwater pool, ditched the helmets and masks, allowed underwater violence. Wait, that is called water polo.