• The KillerFrogs

The Enid News and Eagle: BCS system does not compute

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The Enid News and Eagle: BCS system does not compute

By Dave Ruthenberg, Commentary

... But before anybody tries to defend the computers as being unbiased arbiters in this laughably flawed system, there is something everyone should know.

There are apparently six computer rankings that are used and only one of the six reveals its formula publicly. The other five? According to a report in Yahoo! Sports by Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passon titled “Death to the BCS: Nonsense Rules” none of the weekly computer rankings submitted to the BCS are checked for accuracy. Yep, they can just submit anything they want and it is not questioned.

The Yahoo! Sports report also goes into great detail about the mathematical flaws of a system that does not allow for margin of victory to be considered in the equation. Respected sports statisticians Bill James and Jeff Sagarin have also pointed out this flaw, while James has joined a boycott of the system along with several mathematicians. The BCS won’t even look at Sagarin’s ratings since he takes margin of victory into account. ...

Gunner

The scam gets more and more scrutiny. Like the SEC's(broadcaster)Brando pointed out this week. They do play football outside the SEC. Ask Alabama(remember Utah embarrassed 'em).

I never knew they didn't reveal their goofy systems. Wonder why none of those guys are outside the AQ states. One guy from Oklahoma, who they use, says he knows nothing about football? I wonder? Some NY Times writer exposed this guy.

HG73

The scam gets more and more scrutiny. Like the SEC's(broadcaster)Brando pointed out this week. They do play football outside the SEC. Ask Alabama(remember Utah embarrassed 'em).

I never knew they didn't reveal their goofy systems. Wonder why none of those guys are outside the AQ states. One guy from Oklahoma, who they use, says he knows nothing about football? I wonder? Some NY Times writer exposed this guy.

I have always said this is how they screw us. Coaches and writers polls may be biased but at least their votes are public at least once. The computers are loaded against us, and now we know that nobody even checks them for accuracy. Fraud.