• The KillerFrogs

The Daily Athenaeum: Big East should be greedy with new TV deal

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The Daily Athenaeum: Big East should be greedy with new TV deal

It seems the trending topic amongst the six major conferences lately is the rush to secure a new television deal. When I read about these new contracts and all the media coverage surrounding them, I find myself drawing from the wisdom of Michael Douglas' iconic character Gordon Gekko in the 1987 film "Wall Street."

"Point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed – for lack of a better word – is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through and captures the essence of evolutionary spirit."

Pretty insightful stuff, isn't it?

In essence, the widespread expansion many conferences are undergoing is directly related to the massive new television deals that are being handed out. ...

Atomic Frawg

I really hope that this is a no-brainer article and the BE big heads weren't thinking of selling the league short. The BE should get a contract that surpasses the ACC deal and keep pushing for the BEN. Tags needs to step up.

mtmedlin

I think I want to give this article the "Captain Obviouse" sticker! Of course were going to be. Tag was brought in for this very reason. ESPN has thrown us a lowball offer of $110 to $130 million a year...that needs to about double if were going to be truly competitive. If that was just for football, then were good to go...add in another $85 million to pay each basketball team $5 million a year and I think the BE would sign. The real issue is that at the end of this year the Basketball contract is up, then at the end of next year football is up. There is an exclusive negotiation time frame that the BE can ONLY talk to ESPN... but Tag is a consultant and doesnt work for the BE. He cant negotiate but he can listen to Comcast, Fox and others. I think there is a very good reason why the BE hasnt accepted ESPNs initial offer. If the $130 million contract is split 50/50 with football only schools getting half and all teams getting the other half it works to about 3.5 for bball only schools and about 11 for football which keeps us close to the ACC...now open that up to competition and the numbers will jump huge.
I ll be happy in the $13 to $15 million range as long as we get the BEN...its the only way the BE stays competitive in the future!