• The KillerFrogs

TCU Press Release regarding Wiscy junk

AustFrog

Ok, so by making this post, I will likely point out why I obviously am not in, nor never will be, in the PR world. Given that and my admitted naiveté, why doesn’t TCU officially just put out a press release like the following?

As a result of the media attention given to quotes made by Wisconsin coach Brett Bulimia, we felt it necessary to disclose pertinent facts regarding this discussion that has generated such interest across the country.

· First and most importantly, unlike Wisconsin, we do not have an open date on September 3, 2011. We have the 2[sup]nd[/sup] half of a home and home series scheduled with Baylor, in Waco, Texas. This is not a new addition to our schedule but one that has been contractually negotiated years prior to today. Regardless of the prospects of any potential game with any other school, including Wisconsin, we would not back out on the existing obligation we have to Baylor. Other colleges have cancelled games against us, Texas Tech most recently, and we don’t like it and we won’t do it to others.

· We would love to play a home and home series against Wisconsin beginning in 2012, with the first game in Fort Worth. Given that the last meeting of the two schools, on a neutral field, resulted in a TCU win, we believe the winner should have the privilege of first home field advantage. Wisconsin may consider this an official invitation.

· We were never approached by anyone in any official capacity at the University of Wisconsin to discuss a game for 2012. While we believe that “one and done” road games are generally not in the best interest of the TCU football program at this time, reasonable people should always be willing to sit down and discuss alternatives. Should Wisconsin be truly interested in playing TCU in a one off game, our athletic director will be more than happy to take a phone call from the Wisconsin athletic director at any time. And we will happily welcome Wisconsin to visit Fort Worth in a one and done game anytime during the next five years, beginning in 2012, if Wisconsin believes that one and done games are beneficial to FBS football program.

· While we can’t comment knowingly on the 3[sup]rd[/sup] party that approached Coach Bulimic, the third party that approached TCU to suggest such a game is an existing 2011 opponent of Wisconsin that would not like to full fill its obligation to Wisconsin. Accordingly, this institution had no ability to guarantee any sort of television or monetary payout should a TCU / Wisconsin game have been scheduled. Accordingly, we are unsure how Coach Bulimia arrives at the conclusion that monetary and television benefits would accompany such a game, but we were unable to arrive at the same conclusion given our points of contact.

· Media personnel are welcome to contact Chris Del Conte, TCU AD, if any items in this release are ambiguous. We’d like to ensure the record is straight. Also, should any of those that receive this press release come in contact with E. Gordon Gee, please tell him we are still patiently waiting to schedule our home and home series with The Ohio State University.

fanatical frog

Great idea. Addresses all concerns....we should do this.

I especially agree the first game would have to be in Fort Worth.....if the first game is in Wisconsin it'd be too easy for them to back out of a future game in Fort Worth.

AustFrog

Roddog, even though I don't know you, from reading the board, I thought you'd hone in on that line.:wink: And of course, a real press release wouldn't have made such a comment; I know little, but I do know that much. Nor would a real press release have thrown in the Gee statement. But I do like your wisky women addition!

But really, why don't we do some real life version press release? Momma always taught me that you hit a problem head on and defend your good name. . . .

joejordan

It has been openly discussed that TCU had a few schedule holes to fill. If Wisky or Bilemic likes one and dones so much, we'll clear a date in Ft. Worth.

roddog

Banned
But really, why don't we do some real life version press release?

bc there is no need to unless you have something to cover up, you got invited to play whisky, it could have happened, you chose to honor your commitment with baylor, now go beat them as everyone else does and move on!

Dogfrog

bc there is no need to unless you have something to cover up, you got invited to play whisky, it could have happened, you chose to honor your commitment with baylor, now go beat them as everyone else does and move on!

Say what you like about Baylor, at least a commitment means something to them.

AustFrog

Obviously this is where I simply don't understand PR because I can't figure out why issuing a press release means you have something to cover up. If I did have something to hide, my logic would tell me to shut up and stay as far out of the media as possible, but certainly not issue a statement to further fan flames. In this case, a story came out that was misleading, and we'd simply be "setting the record straight".

Mike Brooks

From what I see, the vast majority of media oustide Lubbock and Madison, and fans in general, are taking TCU's side on this after a couple days to digest. Hence no need for a presser.

Now if the UW admin, as in Alvarez, was popping off... bielimic is simply butthurt. He sounds more and more like Briles and some BU fans that talk like we hit them with a lucky punch.

Limey Frog

CDC already told ESPN radio in response to a specific question on the story that we had indicated a willingness to do a home-and-home if it didn't involve jobbing Baylor a la Texas Institute of Technology. He doesn't need to address it any further. That's exactly the point. Wisconsin looks bad thanks to Bielema making these comments. IN the short run we get bad headlines and will have to deal with hassle about our schedule next year. But that was going to happen anyway because our schedule legitimately sucks -- a fact which is utterly beyond our control. In the long run we're off the Big East and the flak regarding our schedule will be less of an issue. More importantly, taking the high road in these cases will ultimately pay off. Our program doesn't whine to the press.

Like GP said when he was holding the Rose Bowl trophy as the undefeated coach of a team that didn't get a shot to play for the championship: "I've never been a whiner and I'm not going to start now." Brett Bielema, however...

mopack

From what I see, the vast majority of media oustide Lubbock and Madison, and fans in general, are taking TCU's side on this after a couple days to digest. Hence no need for a presser.

Now if the UW admin, as in Alvarez, was popping off... bielimic is simply butthurt. He sounds more and more like Briles and some BU fans that talk like we hit them with a lucky punch.

God damn. You do realize how this started right? It wasn't BB talking trash to a ESPN, SI, or even a local reporter. It was a throwaway line in a local radio interview that somehow incubated for 2 weeks before blowing up into some ridiculous and irresponsible media s#!^ storm. To think that BB had or should have had any idea about how this would play out is unreasonable. Besides that, this wasn't something that UW instigated in any way. If you were BB and recieved that call from the 3rd party, you wouldn't have said yes in a heartbeat? If the tables had been reversed, you would've expected GP to say "Well, that sounds nice, but I'm not sure it's fair to UW?" Come on. I think it sucks that it blew up the way that it did and it's unfortunate that the media was as lazy with how they reported it, but this wasn't BB or UW's doing.

Also, there seems to be a lot of hatred towards BB for whining about the game? Maybe I missed something, but the only thing I've heard him say is that he feels like his team could have won that game if they had made some plays. If this is what is being refered to, is this not something that you would want to hear from your HC? In a game as contested as that one was, whoever comes out on the wrong side is going to feel like they should've won it. Clearly there is room for interpretation, but I never got the impression that he was trying to marginalize your accomplishment.

And as for this:
"Put in there that we will schedule them when their fans learn to act like adults."

Maybe a home and home isn't such a good idea. Gamedays in Madison are HUGE parties. Doesn't sound like you'd be able to handle it. For those open to scary new experiences and who don't get butthurt by a lighthearted "a--hole" chant on the way to the stadium, it's definitely worth checking out.

westtexfrog

TCU doesn't need a press release to explain a bunch of rubbish that was stirred up by the Wisc coach, and rubbish is all it is. We shouldn't make excuses for a situation that didn'tdoesn't exist. It is what it is, TCU beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. There is not an available date that works for both teams, and we are not going to play a one and done....Period. Bucky and the boys need to go sit in their room and suck on their thumbs.

Frog DJ

For those open to scary new experiences and who don't get butthurt by a lighthearted "a--hole" chant on the way to the stadium, it's definitely worth checking out.
An "a--hole" chant is not considered "lighthearted" in most reasonable social circles, but the fact you guys think it is reveals a lot about Wisconsin. Different culture, I guess.

This isn't about TCU cowardice - it's about TCU doing what's best for TCU.

Outlets such as ESPN, Fox Sports and several others have repeatedly posted opinion pieces that defend TCU's decision, and that seems to reflect the general attitude of the public toward this whole affair.

To issue a press release saying the same things that have already been said seems defensive and a bit desperate, to me.

Let others plead TCU's case for them. It carries more weight that way.

Go Frogs!

Dogfrog

God damn. You do realize how this started right? It wasn't BB talking trash to a ESPN, SI, or even a local reporter. It was a throwaway line in a local radio interview that somehow incubated for 2 weeks before blowing up into some ridiculous and irresponsible media s#!^ storm. To think that BB had or should have had any idea about how this would play out is unreasonable. Besides that, this wasn't something that UW instigated in any way. If you were BB and recieved that call from the 3rd party, you wouldn't have said yes in a heartbeat? If the tables had been reversed, you would've expected GP to say "Well, that sounds nice, but I'm not sure it's fair to UW?" Come on. I think it sucks that it blew up the way that it did and it's unfortunate that the media was as lazy with how they reported it, but this wasn't BB or UW's doing.

Also, there seems to be a lot of hatred towards BB for whining about the game? Maybe I missed something, but the only thing I've heard him say is that he feels like his team could have won that game if they had made some plays. If this is what is being refered to, is this not something that you would want to hear from your HC? In a game as contested as that one was, whoever comes out on the wrong side is going to feel like they should've won it. Clearly there is room for interpretation, but I never got the impression that he was trying to marginalize your accomplishment.

And as for this:
"Put in there that we will schedule them when their fans learn to act like adults."

Maybe a home and home isn't such a good idea. Gamedays in Madison are HUGE parties. Doesn't sound like you'd be able to handle it. For those open to scary new experiences and who don't get butthurt by a lighthearted "a--hole" chant on the way to the stadium, it's definitely worth checking out.

Yea, my wife and I got a couple of light hearted F-Us on the train too. You guys kill me. The only problem I have with Bielema is that this game was a non starter from the word go. It was immediately declined and for very good reason. He should have kept his pie hole closed. It should have never been discussed publicly with anybody. He knew what he was doing. His team just got beat by a non AQ school and, like a little kid in the school yard, now he thinks it will make himself and his fans feel better to paint TCU as too scared to play Wisc again. It is straight running low class. The guy is a fool.

we dont like it, and we wont do it to others :unsure:

you should end it with wisconsin woman are so fat....................
We were never scheduled to play Wisc so we are not backing out of a game. I think your head is so far up your butt it's coming out your neck. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Goo

This is great and I could actually see TCU doing this.

It is bullchit to see Bulemia laughing at us in interviews saying we were scared to rematch, when in fact they never contacted us

TCU 3-0 vs Big10 under GP