• The KillerFrogs

TCU Kick Off Returner? Punt Returner?

Houston Frog

Kerley's ball security was amazing, especially when you consider how productive he was and didn't like to fair catch.

If UT had him last year they prolly make a bowl. They lost several games due to fumbles in the punt return game.

Agree that Kerly's ball security was amazing, but disagree that he didn't like to fair catch. He fair caught the ball all the time, which was one of the things I liked so much about him.

He would run up and fair catch a short punt in heavy traffic that most return men would have just let bounce and roll another 15 yards towards our goal line. He was so sure-handed and made it look so easy that I think we took what he did for granted.... we're gonna miss him on so many levels.

Back to the original question... you want a quick/elusive juker type with great hands for a punt returner, and you want a straight line speed guy for a kickoff returner. Punt returners need to be shifty and good in traffic, not necessarily have great top-end speed, while kickoff guys need to be able to find that seem and take off. I like McCoy and Dawson/Grant for kickoffs. Not sure about punts, but I imagine White, Battle, Olabode, and Verrett will be in the mix.... maybe Waymon?

Just my two cents

Gunner

Think we have a hard time ever finding a guy like Kerley.. He could snatch a ball out of the air with one hand. Never fumbled, had the best hands ever.

Battle is a take charge, aggressive, tough guy. He would be someone I would look at. The battle of Battle and Verrett will be a hard decision for coaches.

Limp Lizard

I'll put my two cents in agreement with other posters. With punts Kerley was amazing in his ability to field the ball and not muff the punt. That is, IMO the most important thing. We have guys who can run with the ball, but who can fair catch it with 5 or 6 opponent's within 5 yards? That last fair catch he had against Wisconsin was critical, and he caught it with a bunch of red helmets around him.

To me, that is the one single toughest thing to do in football: Catch a high, short punt dropping out of heaven with guys next to you just waiting for you to drop the ball!

If we find someone who won't muff punts, we will be fine. Should be interesting who wins the job.

I can't wait to find out who wins the job I bet the choice surprises us all. We have speed and talent all over the field so we will have to wait and see.