• The KillerFrogs

SI: BCS Boss: Return to Old Bowl System More Likely

Cougar/Frog

Hancock is such a tool. He knows nothing except to repeat the same line of BS.....

Without the BCS, Oregon would have played in the Rose Bowl and TCU would likely have gone to play Auburn in the Sugar Bowl........ would that have been sooooo bad?

Hancock is such a tool. He knows nothing except to repeat the same line of BS.....

Without the BCS, Oregon would have played in the Rose Bowl and TCU would likely have gone to play Auburn in the Sugar Bowl........ would that have been sooooo bad?

Frankly, I prefer the old bowl system. Fewer conference tie-ins, more games that mattered. And despite the arguments to the contrary, no better resolution on how to determine who is #1.

The BCS has made the college football post-season utterly meaningless ... the thing that no one seems to talk about when touting CFB's regular season.

Frog89

Easier to go back to old system now that 2 of the 3 legit bcs non-aq busters are part the club. Makes sense to me. At least we are in the party starting next year.

Limey Frog

BC$ scare tactics. No way the game returns to the old system entirely.

Without any insider knowledge, this is my hunch -- the ones threatening to "return to the old system" are the Big Ten/Pac-12. They have their panties in a wad over TCU being in the Rose Bowl and the future threat of Boise [the ultimate unwashed upstart]. Rather than agree to any further tinkering with their duel tie-in those two conferences will pull the Granddaddy of all self-entitlement out of the BC$ formula. IF [and it's a big if because I doubt they have the balls] they do that, the other conferences [whose bowl tie-ins are less prestigious and are to some extent subsidized by the BC$ championship game] would be highly likely to add at least a genuine plus-one to compete with the rival post-season constituted by the newly independent Rose Bowl. This would basically be what the short-lived Bowl Alliance was before the Rose joined the BC$ in 1998.

If the Big Ten and Pac-12 played in the Rose Bowl, while the SEC, Big East, ACC, Longwhorn Conference, and non-AQs played in a four-team playoff, which would generate more buzz and revenue? I don't think the Rose would stand a chance. Within five years those crusty fools would be begging to join the action.

So when I hear Hancock threatening a "return to the old system", I just want to tell him to go ahead and "make my day!"

Frog89

I'd prefer a playoff too, but I'm kind with CGP, until they show a better way, it's the best system they have. I'd say TCU's done a pretty good job of exploiting it. If we keep performing the way we have as a program, TCU will win a national championship within the next 5 years, IMO. And we'll do it within their stupid system.

Cougar/Frog

Given that there are no true national champions in college football until we have a playoff, it does not matter one way or the other. The BCS is killing the major bowls (empty seats, low ratings decreased interest) because they moved them off NYD and called one game more important than the rest.

For the purpose of fan interest and ratings, it would be much better if 4 or 5 games played (all on NYD) played a role in making the MNC. The BCS was always a bad deal and is killing itself in an attempt to maintain power in the system.

OmniscienceFrog

Without any insider knowledge, this is my hunch -- the ones threatening to "return to the old system" are the Big Ten/Pac-12. They have their panties in a wad over TCU being in the Rose Bowl and the future threat of Boise [the ultimate unwashed upstart].

Boise is not a future threat to be in the Rose Bowl, unless they somehow manage to get into the PAC-12. This year fulfilled the Rose Bowls obligation to take a non-AQ for this BSC cycle, and you can bet your bottom dollar the Big-10/PAC-12/Rose Bowl will not go for that little addendum again in the future.

Froggy Style

Scare tactics indeed. When someone threatens your cartel, you scare them with a more ridiculous scenario. Similar to the NRA saying we need less regulations to put more guns in the hands of people after mass shootings instead of restrictions on the mentally ill.

Frogo

Frankly, I prefer the old bowl system. Fewer conference tie-ins, more games that mattered. And despite the arguments to the contrary, no better resolution on how to determine who is #1.

The BCS has made the college football post-season utterly meaningless ... the thing that no one seems to talk about when touting CFB's regular season.